Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 261 of 293 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 3:23am
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 4:21pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

AlanAdler Said:

"The Blossom" was a $15 plastic cap with a rubber valve, which replaced the standard AeroPress cap.  It was just what you want.  It was offered as an accessory for the AeroPress.  But the kickstarter effort failed, so Jeremy moved on to his $11,000 machine

I searched the internet for a photo of it without success, but I only searched for a few minutes.  I'll bet it's out there.  You could write to Jeremy.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

I did and he responded promptly. He said it was called "The Bloom" and that it appeared it would not have garnered enough customers to be profitable. Maybe I would have been the only person to buy one!

I had been thinking that a pressure sensitive valve would be a nice approach. And it turns out that's what he used. I may try to kludge something together at some point. It will be a MacGyver project though, probably with lots of silicone glue. Too bad I can't just order one.
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 7:17pm

jpender Said:

I may try to kludge something together at some point.

Posted May 7, 2013 link

Well, as you know, I don't see a need for this.  But I'm also a compulsive engineer.  So here's an idea.

Cut a disc of thin rubber the size of a filter and put it between your metal disc and our cap.  Cut a lot of short slits in the rubber.  They will act as pressure sensitive valves.

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 3:20am
Subject: ...

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 4:44pm

AlanAdler Said:

Well, as you know, I don't see a need for this.  But I'm also a compulsive engineer.  So here's an idea.

Cut a disc of thin rubber the size of a filter and put it between your metal disc and our cap.  Cut a lot of short slits in the rubber.  They will act as pressure sensitive valves.

Posted May 7, 2013 link

There's not much tolerance in the differential threads of that cap. And I'm a little squeamish about taking a dremel to it.

I tried a pretty skimpy skinny thin piece of silicone and I couldn't twist the cap closed with it in there, even without a filter.
Then I tried some siliconized nylon material. That fit, but it isn't elastic enough to seal when breached with slits.

I was thinking of something a little different, but I think I'd need to modify the cap first. Ideally the valve would be integral to a replacement cap. Or better still a drop-in filter disk that only passes liquid at a certain pressure, if that's even possible.

Yeah, whatever.
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 10:15am

A Few AeroPressing Tidbits

Hello All,

Here are a few tidbits which may be of interest.

Mug Knockbox:

After pressing and removing the cap, I stand the AeroPress on this old travel mug and press.  We keep this mug next to our coffee things so it's more convenient than walking over to our trash.  I use the mug's travel cap to contain the coffee aroma and empty the mug into our garden every few days.  I used to be bothered by dumping used filters in the garden, but now I view them as beneficial leaf mulch.  Pic below.

Shaken, Not Stirred:

I've found that I can get full extraction when pressing a single scoop by agitating the mug instead of stirring.  I swirl the mug (with the AeroPress on top) in a tiny circle for ten seconds.  It a bit of laziness, which save rinsing the paddle.  

This does not work well for more than one scoop.

Best regards,

Alan

AlanAdler: Mug KnockBox4.jpg
(Click for larger image)
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 10:27am

Alan, do you find using the mug knockbox to be preferable to launching the puck of coffee grounds into the neighbor's yard? Granted you save the inconvenience of walking outside, but you lose out on the pleasure of seeing the puck sailing over the hedge.    :-)

On another topic, I have been testing my kaffeologie metal filter as regards letting fines through into the brew. Even at french press coarse grinds I'm noticing a significant amount of fine coffee grind getting through the metal and getting caught by the paper filter.  This is much less, as it happens, when brewing with the inverted method, which suggests that the Kaffeologie filter is best used for inverted brewing.
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 11:00am

paulbel Said:

the pleasure of seeing the puck sailing over the hedge.    :-)

Posted May 18, 2013 link

Next pressing, I'll measure my puck ejection distance.  

We could start a contest!

Rules:  Stand with your toes just behind a line.  Eject puck.  Measure from near edge of landed puck to the line.  Feet and landed puck must be at the same elevation (no tall buildings).  Honor system applies.

Can we enter my grandson Scott Adler?  He's the guy you speak to when you call our office and order replacements for lost caps, etc.  He's 6' 5".  So he'll be launching from greater elevation, and applying greater punch (he lifts iron).

Rasqual (6' and a lot of inches), where are you?

PS  Ballistic theory recommends a launch angle of 45 degrees above horizontal.

Best,

Alan
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 7:23pm

AlanAdler Said:

Rules:  Stand with your toes just behind a line.  Eject puck.  Measure from near edge of landed puck to the line.  Feet and landed puck must be at the same elevation (no tall buildings).  Honor system applies.

Posted May 18, 2013 link

First attempt tonight, a measly 65 inches.

Surely you guys can beat that!

Alan
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 9:45am

GREAT! we have a new sport!

Spent puck puking, OK, there may be a better name but I got the ball rolling!
LOL

Alan, I love the Aeropress, I have two, one at work and one at home. They are in my "travel kit" Thanks for a great product.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 261 of 293 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.404129981995)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+