Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
brazil/chambord/columbia?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
nealc

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 8:21pm
Subject: brazil/chambord/columbia?

Hi

I'm  planning to buy a new press to replace my ikea press which broke, and i was going to get the columbia but then I saw that because it keeps the coffee warmer it oversteeps.  i actually haven't decanted my coffee out of my press (i usually only drink 2x6oz in the morning) and i dont feel it gets oversteeped, but maybe it's more of a concern in a columbia because of the higher temp?  

otherwise i dont see what the difference (in taste) between a chambord and brazil would be.  i do want glass, not some unbreakable plastic, but i think the brazil comes in glass.

any overall thoughts or advice would be appreciated
-neal
 View Profile Link to this post
oktyone

Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 7:11pm
Subject: Re: brazil/chambord/columbia?

A stainless steel french press (i.e Columbia) won't overextract more than a glass one, overextraction is caused by letting the coffee sit in the press for too long, even after having the plunger down (a couple of minutes is fine, but more than 5 or 10 and you start to notice), regardless of it being plastic, glass or stainless steel, it's just that as stainless steel ones keep the temperature warm for longer, some people mistakenly let it sit undecanted for longer than other presses.
VernS

Espresso: (strength) AeroPress
Grinder: Bodum Bistro, GSI camping
Vac Pot: Espro, Bodum, camping...
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 1:56pm
Subject: Re: brazil/chambord/columbia?

You are right to assume that the coffee from the Brazil and Chambord should taste the same. The glass beaker and replacement filter parts are identical. The only possible difference would be that when decanting the coffee it is briefly in contact with a plastic lid on the Brazil compared to a metal lid on the Chambord.

I have the Brazil in two sizes and besides being much less expensive than the Chambord it would probably last you longer than the Chambord. This is because of the significant breakage protection provided by the plastic base.

If being able to leave some coffee in a press pot in order to drink around an hour later is important to you, the Espro is the only good option that I am aware of. The Espro is more expensive and the size you probably want will not be available until later in the summer.

The unique double filtration design of the Espro provides surprising good isolation of the coffee grounds from the already steeped coffee above the filter. If you search this forum, you will see that many members find the Espro well worth the price premium if you can afford it. If your budget won't allow it at this point or you don't want to wait then I would buy the inexpensive Brazil.
nealc

Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 8:47am
Subject: REI press? Re: brazil/chambord/columbia?

Hi

I recently came across a few french presses from REI, wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on them:

Click Here (www.rei.com)
Click Here (www.rei.com)

Also, if anyone has had coffee from the espro, I'd like to know some details of how the final result is different from the regular press, apart from there being less solids.  I kind of like the thickness and richness of french press, for example compared to pour over (which I'm doing these days).
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.211141824722)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+