Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Interesting (?) Technivorm Observation
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Interesting (?)...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
markm3

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: UNIC Phoenix R...
Grinder: Bunn GBaratza,  Rossi...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bunn HG, Fetco...
Roaster: Counter Culture and Gimme
Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 2:18pm
Subject: Interesting (?) Technivorm Observation

Finally found a Moccamaster I could afford on my (currently) cheap beer budget. Missing the brew basket and thermal carafe (everyone implies it's not the greatest anyway), so currently using a #4 Melitta cone with it.

First batch, brewed a blend from a local roaster that tends to roast toward the darker side.  WOW,  I could honestly tell an immediate difference. Where normally I could detect no real character in this coffee other than the roast flavor.  This time many more flavors became detectable.  I found myself taking slurps and being somewhat amazed that this coffee was actually better than I had thought.

But back to what this is actually about.

After brewing a few more batches, I noticed the spray arm (?) was getting a bit filthy from coffee splashing up from the brew basket. Naturally I decided to clean it. Now I'm afraid I may have cleaned it too well, as the previously good spray pattern is now gone.

After cleaning I ended up with http://www.flickr.com/photos/moodybrewscoffee/8707264113/

Anyone else observe this behavior ? Did I inadvertently scrub something away ?

It's now back to normal after a bit of creativity, I'll post how later.
 View Profile Link to this post
adekorte
adekorte
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nespresso Pixie
Grinder: Rocky Rancillo, Baratza...
Drip: Bonavita BV1800,Technivorm...
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 6:13am
Subject: Re: Interesting (?) Technivorm Observation

Hello,

I've owned my Technivorm KBTS around 7 years. The brewer did come with the newer spray head and does the same thing as your video. What I do is just run tap water through it and rub the holes with a dish washing brush. Do you use reverse osmosis water in your brewer? I have noticed that it might have something to do with that phenomenon. When I first purchase it, it did bother me so I ordered the older single hole version from Holland. I recently went back to the shower head water tube, and guess what, it does the same thing as it did 7 years ago after about 7 cycles. I just take it off and clean it as I describe. When you clean it, don't use anything abrasive, just and brush tap water and maybe dish-washing detergent.  Good luck!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
markm3

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: UNIC Phoenix R...
Grinder: Bunn GBaratza,  Rossi...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bunn HG, Fetco...
Roaster: Counter Culture and Gimme
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 10:55am

Odd that your's did it from the start. Mine started only after I used one of those green scrub pads. My "fix" was to simply rub a film of vegetable oil on it, and wipe off the excess. Then a few batches of water ran through, I can't taste anything offhand after doing this.  I also think that simply letting it get dirty again, and only wiping it off with a cloth or paper towel would get it right again.  

Did you perceive any difference in taste when you tried the one-hole spray arm ? It looks like it would just bore a hole through the grounds and create a weak brew.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moodybrewscoffee/8708391336/

quote627294]Hello,

I've owned my Technivorm KBTS around 7 years. The brewer did come with the newer spray head and does the same thing as your video. What I do is just run tap water through it and rub the holes with a dish washing brush. Do you use reverse osmosis water in your brewer? I have noticed that it might have something to do with that phenomenon. When I first purchase it, it did bother me so I ordered the older single hole version from Holland. I recently went back to the shower head water tube, and guess what, it does the same thing as it did 7 years ago after about 7 cycles. I just take it off and clean it as I describe. When you clean it, don't use anything abrasive, just and brush tap water and maybe dish-washing detergent.  Good luck!
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 1:33pm

I even pull both plastic end piece off and scrub the inside of the tube with a bottle brush.  And yes, the spray is different right after cleaning but normalizes as I use it.

I have the version with the manual drip switch on the side of the basket.  I start with it closed and after a bit of water has built up in the basket I stir with a bamboo chopstick before opening it up.  After doing that the grounds are completely saturated and I don't worry too much about the drip pattern of the arm....
Roy
adekorte
adekorte
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nespresso Pixie
Grinder: Rocky Rancillo, Baratza...
Drip: Bonavita BV1800,Technivorm...
Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 8:50am

Hi,

When using the single hole heat/water pipe I really didn't notice any appreciable difference 7 years ago! I do usually tap down the sides of the coffee in the filter holder after about 1 cup has dispersed over the grounds. I never have used any abrasive material to clean the water pipe, just some Dawn and soft brush!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Interesting (?)...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.235854148865)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+