Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 283 of 293 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 9:46am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

Everybody with a waxy, gooey plunger should send it in to Alan  (or some reliable third party lab) and get them a) compared. Is it the same thing?  b) tested. WTF is it?

And we should ask Alan  (Hello, Alan!) if the plunger material has changed over the years, as the tube plastic did.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 10:02am

It actually has less of a coffee odor than my newer plunger. The aroma is mild and I want to say oil-like. I'm not sure exactly what that means and maybe I'm just thinking that because of what I suspect it is, but that's my impression. It reminds me of the experience of sniffing a bottle of cooking oil, albeit one infused with stale, burnt coffee and shards of automobile tires.

Paul, send me the address of a lab where you are paying the fee and I will send a sample of this goo to them.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 10:09am

jpender Said:

It actually has less of a coffee odor than my newer plunger. The aroma is mild and I want to say oil-like. I'm not sure exactly what that means and maybe I'm just thinking that because of what I suspect it is, but that's my impression. It reminds me of the experience of sniffing a bottle of cooking oil, albeit one infused with stale, burnt coffee and shards of automobile tires.

Paul, send me the address of a lab where you are paying the fee and I will send a sample of this goo to them.

Posted April 28, 2014 link

What do you think of this hypothesis?  Under pressure from the plunging action hot water and coffee gets injected into the semi-porous rubber and stays in the cells of the rubber until released from the pressure, slowly ejecting itself out of the rubber plunger head along with any contents of the cells (i.e. rubber volatiles), after which the water evaporates and leaves behind the rubber/coffee oil residue.

Makes a bit of sense in my mind.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 11:42am

jpender Said:

My sarcasm sensors are activated, but it's never easy in a text-based medium. Perhaps my other suggestion: send to Alan, is more appropriate.
Charlie_Aristotle

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: Cuisinart DBN-8
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 12:28pm

Business Week magazine, April 28, 2014 issue, has a short feature on Alan and the Aeropress. I learned his age, the steps he went through to create the Aeropress, and a couple more details.
Click Here (www.businessweek.com)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 1:05pm

Charlie_Aristotle Said:

Business Week magazine, April 28, 2014 issue, has a short feature on Alan and the Aeropress. I learned his age, the steps he went through to create the Aeropress, and a couple more details.
Click Here (www.businessweek.com)

Thanks for that link.  It was neat looking at the 1st prototypes Alan made.  The cost to bring it to production surprised me.  He must have certainly done his marketing research.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 1:33pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

What do you think of this hypothesis?

That seems plausible.

I took a closer look at the stuff on my old plunger. It is light yellowish-brown. It looks like honey. It is of similar thickness/viscosity to honey, perhaps a bit more viscous. I put the plunger in the refrigerator which brought it down to 5C and it became very thick. I was able to form thin hairlike strands with it which coalesced into gooey liquid beads as it warmed in the air. I then put it in the freezer for 20 minutes which was at -22C and the goo became a very firm solid. That's consistent with coffee oil which is a "brown viscous liquid" that crystallizes between 6.5C and -15C (Calligaris, 2009). One source I found stated that the max viscosity at 25C is 300 cP which is in the same ballpark as honey.

While it wouldn't be surprising to learn that it is mostly coffee oil, as Alan told me the lab reported, it might also be the case that there is some small fraction of thermoplastic elastomer dissolved within. Would that be something to worry about?

Strand of plunger goo at about 5C on a toothpick:

jpender: AP_plunger_goo_at_5degC.jpg
(Click for larger image)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 3:09pm

jpender Said:

That seems plausible.

I took a closer look at the stuff on my old plunger. It is light yellowish-brown. It looks like honey. It is of similar thickness/viscosity to honey, perhaps a bit more viscous. I put the plunger in the refrigerator which brought it down to 5C and it became very thick. I was able to form thin hairlike strands with it which coalesced into gooey liquid beads as it warmed in the air. I then put it in the freezer for 20 minutes which was at -22C and the goo became a very firm solid. That's consistent with coffee oil which is a "brown viscous liquid" that crystallizes between 6.5C and -15C (Calligaris, 2009). One source I found stated that the max viscosity at 25C is 300 cP which is in the same ballpark as honey.

While it wouldn't be surprising to learn that it is mostly coffee oil, as Alan told me the lab reported, it might also be the case that there is some small fraction of thermoplastic elastomer dissolved within. Would that be something to worry about?

Strand of plunger goo at about 5C on a toothpick:

I know we are all speculating here, but I bet there is an allowance of such particulate/dissolved solids such as thermoplastic elastomer for food grade rubber materials.  Under a certain percentage per whatever can be classified as food grade, over that not.  Just like peanut butter is deemed to be at a food defect action level when it has an average of 30 or more insect fragments per 100 grams (just as an example); under that considered "Levels of natural or unavoidable defects in foods that present no health hazards for humans".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Food_Defect_Action_Levels

Of course no one eats rubber (in their right mind) so this may not apply the same way as a peanut butter example.

Also, I would imagine that a test would be to put the rubber stopper in hot water for a period of time then test for leaching.  Under pressure though?

Len

jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 5:50pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I know we are all speculating here, but I bet there is an allowance of such particulate/dissolved solids such as thermoplastic elastomer for food grade rubber materials.  Under a certain percentage per whatever can be classified as food grade, over that not.

I'm in your camp. I'm an adult male who is looking at other things that are most likely to kill him. But what if you're evaluating plastics for use by your pregnant wife or newborn child? You might be more sensitive. When it comes to tiny doses of proprietary chemicals in consumer plastics it's hard to remain objective about it. Who knows whether one should be worried or not.

I'm not worried. When I picture my version of the Better Aeropress it is usually a double walled stainless steel vacuum vessel. But if you're paranoid you're going to note that stainless steel can leach metals at some concentration into your favorite beverage. What's a pointy hatted person to use for coffee? Glass?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 6:54pm

jpender Said:

What's a pointy hatted person to use for coffee? Glass?

I recall in another forum or blog the mention of an aeropress possibly made of glass (I don't know if that is what you are referencing as a possiblity).  A good point was made by another poster that it could be quite a dangerous scenario of the apparatus broke while plunging it.  I suppose that it could be made of a ceramic but the cost would be a bit high.

Len

showing page 283 of 293 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.462840080261)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+