Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
A Quality Grinder for Pour Over Coffee Under $200? Can it Be Done??
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > A Quality...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
slurpy

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 12:53pm
Subject: A Quality Grinder for Pour Over Coffee Under $200? Can it Be Done??

Dear Lovely Forum Folk-

I am a coffee professional of 5 years, and to this day, I struggle with at-home cupping as limited by my inadequate grinder. At present, I use a Hario Mini Mill. I do so because a little elbow grease has always been worth the dramatic price reduction when compared to electric models with the same grind consistency, and at the time of purchase, $40 was about all I was prepared to spend on a home grinder. Read: young, broke barista. So my choice of the Mini Mill was out of ignorance: at the time of purchase, I did not understand that $40 was an insufficient budget for the quality I was looking for, and I was also misdirected considerably through internet discussions by coffee laypersons whose needs I now understand are far, far simpler than my own. Through much experimentation, I've found that the inconsistency in particle size from the Mini Mill is simply unacceptable for meaningful feedback on a given coffee.  

What I am looking for instead:

is a grinder capable of particle consistency uniform enough to be suitable for serious evaluation. I do not want to be limited by my grinder in my pursuit of understanding (though I understand that there will ALWAYS be a limit imposed by equipment). Instead, I wish to be able to adjust my brewing techniques against the experiment control of a consistent grind size. I do a great deal of my learning at home, and I presently have a good set-up: Bona-Vita swan neck kettle with digital temperature control, a battery of brewing equipment (aeropress, v60, bee house, chemex, cupping bowls, etc), and many focused years of experience. The grinder is the thing holding it all back!

SO:

A) what are some grinders that you would recommend for a person looking to enjoy quality coffee in this way at home?

and

B) Can this kind of quality be enjoyed (whether by manual or electric grind) for under $200, or must the budget absolutely expand to fit the above expectations? Understand that I will not be using the grinder for espresso: only for cupping and single-cup brewing techniques.

Please submit your opinions!

yours in coffee,
Slurpy.
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 1:10pm
Subject: Re: A Quality Grinder for Pour Over Coffee Under $200? Can it Be Done??

I was just over on H-B looking over Jim Schulman's post on the Bunn LPG and Vario with steel burrs. It seems an LPG can be had on eBay for your price range (maybe less on Craigslist depending on where you are). Burr condition might be a consideration...

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 3:01pm
Subject: .

Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 12:09pm
Subject: Re: A Quality Grinder for Pour Over Coffee Under $200? Can it Be Done??

I would probably go with the LIDO or the Virtuoso from Baratza. The LIDO was designed to be a cupping grinder and the Baratza has gotten glowing reviews from coffee professionals, http://twitter.com/NickCho/statuses/112347880496435200

I think either would be a good choice.

Less water, more grounds.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 12:52pm

+ (another) 1 on the Lido

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
dgcrowley53

Espresso: Saeco Sirena
Grinder: Breville Smart
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Clever, Aeropress
Roaster: none...yet...
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 10:49pm

Check out the Breville Smart Grinder. They had some problems when they first hit the market; you had to install a washer kit so that the burrs were placed close enough together to grind fine enough for espresso. Now, they are manufactured with that change; espresso grind is possible with the grinder right out of the box. I have owned one for about a year and a half; the grind is very consistent, and I've used it for espresso to french press with no problems. Retails for about $199...and they've been around long enough that you can probably find them refurbished and even cheaper. Good luck!
dgcrowley53

Espresso: Saeco Sirena
Grinder: Breville Smart
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Clever, Aeropress
Roaster: none...yet...
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 10:56pm

An additional note...what are you using for your pour-over method? If you haven't already, check out the clever little coffee dripper...it's available from Sweet Maria's (their website). The best pour-over I've come across.....but, I got tired of the double boiling; first, to rinse the paper filter, then to make the coffee...so, now I am impatiently waiting for my Trifecta mb to arrive, hopefully in about 5 days. My favorite coffeemaking methods: first, Trifecta...second, clever little coffee dripper; third, aeropress; fourth...nothing...that's it!
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 4:46pm

OE LIDO. For 165 it is the best grinder for the money and is PERFECT for pourover and immersion methods. It produces an excellent grind and is fun to use.

The Virtuoso is my pick for an electric grinder.

The Rosco Mini is a beast of a hand grinder - for a fraction of the price the LIDO gives you the same burr set. Can't go wrong with OE.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 8:39pm

Sam21 Said:

The Rosco Mini is a beast of a hand grinder - for a fraction of the price the LIDO gives you the same burr set. Can't go wrong with OE.

Posted May 23, 2013 link

Burr set isn't everything though.
Setting aside the issue of cost and value, is the Rosco Mini a better grinder than the LIDO?
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 3:03pm

Of course it isn't but when it's housed in an excellent grinder body - it's definitely important.

I have no evidence to claim that one grinder is better than the other. That said, I enjoy using the Mini more and find its maintenance to be a piece of cake. A single screw holds the burr seated and dissassembly takes 30 seconds. The Mini is built to last generations (aside from the catch cup) and it is very compact. The grind setting markers run in .05 increments as well, so it is very way to measure grinds. The LIDO is easy as well but just a tad more fidgety. The solid metal body of the mini, the easy intuitive grind adjustment, and the ease of use make it an incredible piece of machinery. That said, it only grinds 26-30g at a time and is meant for single servings in that sense. It's not for everybody but as an office grinder and travel grinder I could not be happier. I even use it at home when I have it with me. That said, yes, it's $360 plus shipping.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > A Quality...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.263003826141)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+