Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bought a new Baratza Virtuoso. I have 2 pet peeves.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bought a new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
SmkSignals

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 8:14am
Subject: Bought a new Baratza Virtuoso. I have 2 pet peeves.

Hi everyone.

I bought a new Baratza Virtuoso 586.  I use it for drip and french press only and am very happy with the grind, but I have 2 pet peeves with this machine -

1. Chaff - This grinder leaves chaff stuck to everything. The basket is stuck with it. The case is stuck with it. When you pull the basket out it leaves chaff all over the counter. What a mess. The grinds don't stick but man, it sure makes a mess with the chaff. I had to bust out the shop vac for this last batch :(

2. Timer - I weigh my grounds on a per pot basis. I dump them in the hopper and set the timer. If the hopper runs empty and the grinder is still running you have to turn the timer to the off position and it just doesn't feel right. I know the manual says to turn the timer off when the hopper runs empty but it feels like you are really forcing it against its will. It would be nice if there was a simple on - off switch on the side, or you could wire the front button to click on and off, instead of holding it to run.

Anyways, love the grind, but wanted to mention a couple of the little quirks I have with it.

Later...
 View Profile Link to this post
Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 9:06am
Subject: Re: Bought a new Baratza Virtuoso. I have 2 pet peeves.

If you breath on your beans like you trying to fog up a window that should get rid of your chaff problem or reduce it a bit.

Your other peeve, is just that a peeve nothing I can do for you there unless you want to buy the escatto scale.

Less water, more grounds.
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 3:58pm

Chaff is just a part of coffee life where fresh roasts are concerned---something I learned here, from the Geeks, when I first started grinding. Different factors will render more or less chaff---difference in roasts and/or even bean origin.

Timer switch....  I rarely turn my timer switch up enough to grind all intended. It goes off and I hit the manual switch on the front to finish up. IF my grinder IS running few seconds after beans are ground, I gently force it to the off position. Have to say, I NEVER turn the timer switch way up there. ALSO, I have an Infinity I use as a back-up grinder---only has 1 switch for operation which is the same type timer switch as on Virtuoso, no biggie.
squaremile

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 5:18pm

I don't mind the chaff and I don't use the timer. However, I am curious of anyone has noticed:

a) drift in grind size. What used to be 20 is now around 16 after a couple months

b) it has gotten louder and the motor has a wavering wah-wah-wah-wah pattern now.

Is it just mine?
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 5:52am

squaremile Said:

I don't mind the chaff and I don't use the timer. However, I am curious of anyone has noticed:

a) drift in grind size. What used to be 20 is now around 16 after a couple months

b) it has gotten louder and the motor has a wavering wah-wah-wah-wah pattern now.

Is it just mine?

Posted May 29, 2013 link

Normal. As the machine gets broken in, the grind setting will shift a bit. Mine did that initially. I then adjusted the grind range to get more of a drip range as mine had always been a bit too fine in the mid-range. It drifted slightly again after this and settled.

The motor will break in a bit too and I have found that mine got louder over the year+ I have had it.
SmkSignals

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 8:58am

Thanks for the posts... I am used to the timer now. Not as much of a big deal as when I first bought it. But the chaff mess is really driving me up the wall. I am just tired of cleaning the machine and counter top every single morning. Pretty much at my wits end. I had a Breville Smart Grinder and I replaced the plastic grounds container for a glass tumbler. I never had chaff stuck to anything. Unfortunately the gears stripped on a light roast so I had to go grinder shopping again. I would really like to find a solution for the chaff mess and the Virtuoso. Thanks for reading.
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 9:03am

I assumed they all made a chaff mess, more or less from batch to batch.

Agreed 100% on the timer.  "Just doesn't feel right" is exactly how I'd put it.   Neither is a huge deal though.
coffeeguydenton

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 8:30am

I just bought a Preciso.  Basically the same machine with more settings.  I haven't had any issues with chaff yet.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bought a new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29496884346)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+