Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Need Recommendations - Drip Machine, < $100
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Need...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
JR
JR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 1:51pm
Subject: Re: Need Recommendations - Drip Machine, < $100

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Were you aware that a very large percentage of the 1, 2, and 3 star user comments about the Bonavita BV1800 listing on Amazon focused on its thermal carafe glass liner "exploding"?  Alot of those comments appear to be recent.  I had thought about buying the Bonavita and wanted a thermal carafe, but that issue was something I did not want to have to think about.  Here on CG there also is a thread about the exploding carafes:
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/597724

Posted June 16, 2013 link

Len, I saw these. It's hard to tell if this is a widespread problem.

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 2:13pm

JR Said:

Len, I saw these. It's hard to tell if this is a widespread problem.

Jack

Posted June 16, 2013 link

OK.  Just curious if you knew.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 2:20pm

I too was worried about glass in thermal carafe exploding. I've been using other brands of glass-lined carafes since 1994 with no problems at all---always decanted into thermal carafes since my brewer had glass carafe. I prefer glass-lined, NOT stainless. My most recent one is an Oggi (from BB&B) I got 4 yrs ago. With all the complaints, I was very skeptical as to how well Bonavita carafes were made BUT figured I'd return it if I had problems.

I called Bonavita cust serv about the glass exploding---said NOT to put a lot of pressure on the inside when cleaning and/or to just swish lemon juice and water or mild soap around to clean stains. I've always used an OXO all plastic bottle brush on my other glass-lined carafes with no problem BUT have always been careful---these carafes are typically taller and narrower. ON THE BONAVITA I use a very wet, soapy sponge and clean gently about 1 time wkly---I DO NOT use the OXO brush on the Bonavita carafe.

After using the brewer a couple of wks (Nov 2012) I wanted an extra carafe for back-up so ordered the Melitta Thermal 8 cup Pour Over from Amazon ($34.62). It's exactly the same carafe and comes with the very same filter basket w/stainless trimmed handle. Very handy when you want to brew another 8 cups quickly for company.

Back then extra carafes from Bonavita were $45 plus $5 shipping. They've now gone up, I think to $60(?) and
don't know about shipping cost. A month or two ago the pour overs from Amazon were still that same low price.
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 3:41pm

The one criticism I would have of the Melitta glass lined carafe, is that the outer shell on mine (S/S sides and a plastic base) never seems to fit quite perfectly at the bottom. It's OK, but not perfect, and I wonder if in some instances too much pressure might be put on the glass liner, stressing it more than it should be. Vacuum flasks do have very thin glass generally.

The nice thing about glass flasks is that provided you empty them out and rinse them fairly soon after use, they tend to stain a lot less than SS, so the cleaning regime can be very gentle. I just swish it around with hot water and dishwashing liquid (dish soap to you) and then rinse thoroughly. Rarely need to use anything to scrub inside.

I've never had one explode*, but I'd treat all glass lined vacuum flasks with a bit of care anyway.

*actually, they'd implode I guess, but the resulting mess would be just the same.
JR
JR

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 4:12pm

I read this as "glass lined" but did not assume it is, or in not a vacuum flask.  Is it?

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 3:32am

It is a vacuum flask, hence its insulating properties.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Need...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.266195058823)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+