Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Breville YouBrew v. Technivorm, BonaVita, or Behmor Brazen
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Breville YouBrew...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
coffeeguydenton

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 5:38am
Subject: Breville YouBrew v. Technivorm, BonaVita, or Behmor Brazen

This is an unfair comparison from the outset, and I realize that.  My question is: How does the Breville compare to the latter three for brewing coffee when ground in a stand alone burr grinder.  It may not be logical to buy a Grind and Brew when you plan on using a separate grinder, but I have my reasons for considering it.  Basically, the convenience for my wife, and the fact that I have to leave the house around 3:30 some mornings, and would appreciate every extra moment of sleep on those mornings (hence the convenience of being able to set the Grind and Brew and not having to pre-grind coffee).  I am leaning towards the Behmor at the moment, but still strongly considering the YouBrew for this reason.  So, basically I am asking for a comparison of the YouBrew to the other brewers based solely on its brewing, and not on its grinding.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 8:39am
Subject: Re: Breville YouBrew v. Technivorm, BonaVita, or Behmor Brazen

Technivorm, Bonavita, and Brazen are considered to be the top drip makers, AFAIK, so that in itself should eliminate the YouBrew from consideration.  Also, as you know, the YouBrew with a built in grinder is a negative.  

Len
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 8:50am

Seattle Coffee Gear posted a video review comparing these models a while back:

http://youtu.be/kJ6sSQv2Id0

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 8:55am

EricBNC Said:

Seattle Coffee Gear posted a video review comparing these models a while back:

http://youtu.be/kJ6sSQv2Id0

Posted June 20, 2013 link

Interesting video.  And Seattle Coffee Gear is where I purchased my Technivorm.  Very pleased with their service.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 9:17am

Youbrew is surprisngly very good and I've used a Techo before. The built in grinder issue isn't a deal breaker like some espresso machines or superautos (mainly b/c they grind crappy for espresso). Neighbors have a Youbrew.

I'd still go with pry a Bonavita Techno or Bunn, but if somebody needs an easy all in one that brews a great cup the Youbrew rocks.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 9:20am

I think the question you want an answer to is something like "is occasionally leaving the grounds out overnight in the Brazen or Bonavita* better or worse than the quality hit from using the YouBrew all the time?".  

Personally I think I'd rather have a good brewer for general use, and accept a bit of a hit on the occasional timer activated brew.  I don't find the hit from pre-ground to be too bad, at least not compared to a poor brew temperature, and I doubt I'd care that much at 3am.  But then I prefer to be able to hit the highs, while accepting the odd low, rather than to get a consistent middle ground.

• The Bonavita will happily run on a cheap external timer if you want to preset it.
PandaMatic

Grinder: Hario MSS-1B Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 5:04pm

dyqik Said:

I think the question you want an answer to is something like "is occasionally leaving the grounds out overnight in the Brazen or Bonavita* better or worse than the quality hit from using the YouBrew all the time?".  

Personally I think I'd rather have a good brewer for general use, and accept a bit of a hit on the occasional timer activated brew.  I don't find the hit from pre-ground to be too bad, at least not compared to a poor brew temperature, and I doubt I'd care that much at 3am.  But then I prefer to be able to hit the highs, while accepting the odd low, rather than to get a consistent middle ground.

The Bonavita will happily run on a cheap external timer if you want to preset it.

Posted June 20, 2013 link

Interesting question. This is exactly how I read the OP's post as well.

Before I got my Brazen, I too thought I wouldn't care that much about pre-ground coffee. With the low temperature of my previous brewer's water, the difference between stale coffee and freshly ground beans just wasn't overly perceptible - at least not bad enough that I cared. I figured that people who wouldn't dare brew coffee ground the night before simply had very discerning tastes. But when brewing at proper temperature, the difference is painfully clear. It's interesting how when brewing at the optimal temperature range, at least in my experience so far, has the effect of magnifying the good and bad aspects of the grounds you're brewing.

In my opinion, this is a question of trade offs. If I only drank coffee from an auto-drip machine early in the morning and craved convenience than I would imagine the YouBrew is the best choice. Whether it brews at the optimal temperature or not (speaking of which, does anyone have measurement for the average temperature the YouBrew brews?), I have a feeling that freshly ground beans would make the difference.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 4:18am
Subject: .

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 8:34am

Netphilosopher Said:

I'd add the Bunn Phase Brew to the comparison list.

Posted June 21, 2013 link

I had the Bunn Phase Brew for about 2 days before it failed.  It has a high failure rate, well reported, which I chose to put aside to give it a chance.  All in all its a neat looking machine, with promise, but Bunn needs to get its electronics squared away.

After my experience I'd definitely not add that machine to the list.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
coffeeguydenton

Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 7:51pm

Perhaps I should clarify a bit.  Right now, I am a Chemex and press pot man.  But my life is about to get insane, so I will not always have the time for either of those options.  I am looking for a brewer to fill the gap when I don't have time.  But my primary brewing method will still be the Chemex/press pot.  I can spend 200+ on a brewer that I will only occasionally use for myself as a stop gap if I have to, but I would rather buy one that meets my needs while providing the convenience that my wife cares about.  If the breville brews a good enough cup, it has the potential to be that.  But I have to find a decent comparison of the YouBrew to the others.  Seattle Coffe Gear has made an attempt at it, but their methods were flawed.  For one thing, they used the inboard grinder for the YouBrew and a much better grinder for the others.  Then they used gold filters in the Brazen and YouBrew and paper in the others when the judge clearly preferred paper filters.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Breville YouBrew...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310214042664)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+