Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
The Moka stove-top "espresso" machine
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > The Moka...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
wabbitt
wabbitt
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 12:40pm
Subject: Re: The Moka stove-top "espresso" machine

If you determine that your glass range really won't cut it with a regular or stainless steel moka pot, I recommend an electric moka pot like the Delonghi Alicia or the Bialetti version, they're both (demitasse) 6-cup volume.  They have the advantage of automatic shutoff if you happen to walk away, whereas you must keep an eye on the stovetop versions.

The only thing I don't like about the Alicia is the top part is plastic.  I'm afraid I'm going to twist to remove it one day and it'll crack or break on me but I've had it long enough I won't cry over it, just move on to another pot in the cupboard.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 2:32pm

wabbitt Said:

If you determine that your glass range really won't cut it with a regular or stainless steel moka pot, I recommend an electric moka pot like the Delonghi Alicia or the Bialetti version, they're both (demitasse) 6-cup volume.  They have the advantage of automatic shutoff if you happen to walk away, whereas you must keep an eye on the stovetop versions.

The only thing I don't like about the Alicia is the top part is plastic.  I'm afraid I'm going to twist to remove it one day and it'll crack or break on me but I've had it long enough I won't cry over it, just move on to another pot in the cupboard.

Posted June 21, 2013 link

Thats what my fiances work has (the Alicia), it works pretty well. They don't have a stove (in an office obviously lol). And one of their Cuban employees goes around at 2:00 every day with "Cuban coffee" (hey its Miami lol)
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 10:13pm

germantownrob Said:

Keeping the aluminum pots in top condition is simple, rinse and dry with a towel, that's it. I have seen it posted a ton to never use soap and water but nobody ever says why. Sometimes I have to use soap and water to clean the pot if let sit dirty for to long, always back to normal on the second use.

I guess there's nothing wrong with using dish liquid.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 2:00am

germantownrob Said:

Keeping the aluminum pots in top condition is simple, rinse and dry with a towel, that's it. I have seen it posted a ton to never use soap and water but nobody ever says why. Sometimes I have to use soap and water to clean the pot if let sit dirty for to long, always back to normal on the second use.  SS pots stay looking brand new, except for the one I put on camp fires.

I'd add leaving it unassembled to air dry completely before screwing it back together. There's nothing wrong at all with using dish soap provided it is rinsed properly - just another urban myth.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 8:18am

__________ Said:

I'd add leaving it unassembled to air dry completely before screwing it back together. There's nothing wrong at all with using dish soap provided it is rinsed properly - just another urban myth.

Posted June 23, 2013 link

+1.  I have actually found that after air drying, then putting it back together, will again form a bit of the weird stuff inside.  I keep mine (my aluminum brikka) apart until use.  I give it a rinse before using again.  I never use dish soap with it, just a good rinse ad air dry.  I think I have had my brikka for about 6 years now, never had to replace a gasket.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 8:45am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I have had a couple occurances of essentially "overheated" moka from my Britta.  What happened was that I ground too fine and tampered it down a bit (which I do not do any longer).  This caused the brew to come out real slow (once the top popped), and the resulting brew in the top chamber was negatively influenced by the high heat from the now very hot water and steam in the bottom chamber, causing the sugars in the brew to caramelize and burn.  (As an aside the pressure vent opened too.)  Maybe this is what happened to other peoples moka pots causing some to say that the result was scorched or burned.  I would say yes that can happen with Moka pots, however it is due to error in using the pot and not the norm.

Len

yeh thats why I tell people if they want to use Moka, buy some Pilon or Bustelo at the store as thats the grind your looking for Moka, and then adjust from there.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > The Moka...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309271097183)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+