Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Behmor Brazen users weigh in
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Behmor Brazen...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 3:12pm
Subject: Re: Behmor Brazen users weigh in

coffeeguydenton Said:

I actually meant that as a general statement about all automatic drip brewers, and not exclusive to this forum.  I found several of those type reviews regarding the Technivorm, even, though not nearly as many. However, I remember reading several here and on retailer websites about the Brazen specifically.

Posted June 23, 2013 link

You have changed my quoted text, which is a big no no. Please see what I actually said. I am careful what I  write. You will see I was not referring to the Brazen but changing my text makes it sound as if I was.
 View Profile Link to this post
coffeeguydenton

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 5:51am

__________ Said:

You have changed my quoted text, which is a big no no. Please see what I actually said. I am careful what I  write. You will see I was not referring to the Brazen but changing my text makes it sound as if I was.

Posted June 23, 2013 link

Apologies.  I accidentally deleted a word and thought I was retyping it as you originally wrote it.  I should have gone back to check.  It was not my intent to change your meaning.

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 4:22pm

coffeeguydenton Said:

Apologies.  I accidentally deleted a word and thought I was retyping it as you originally wrote it.  I should have gone back to check.  It was not my intent to change your meaning.

Posted June 24, 2013 link

That's OK - understand the mistake and it wasn't intentional.  What I was querying was not reports about the Brazen, but that reviews of the other 2 machines had been so bad in some cases.  As others have commented, I also tend to view some reviews of products with quite a bit of mistrust (Amazon reviews in particular !)  

Reviews on this forum tend to be rather better informed - but even then there are clear exceptions (but those reviews are often challenged if you read the follow-up comments).

Anything  posted on here about any device that the poster has neither used for a significant amount of time nor actually owned I just ignore, which is why I can't comment on the Brazen with any validity, except for the expectation that any product deficiencies will be sorted out if for no other reason than the designer has put a lot of investment into the product and it can't be allowed to fail for some unanticipated glitches.

Fair to say that if Technivorm had a product glitch, the management could just walk down to the factory floor and fix it there and then.  Not so easy when you are dealing with manufacturers in China.  Melitta had the earlier brewer models on which the Bonavita is based well bedded down in production in Germany before it was transferred to China.
coffeeguydenton

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 6:29pm

__________ Said:

That's OK - understand the mistake and it wasn't intentional.  What I was querying was not reports about the Brazen, but that reviews of the other 2 machines had been so bad in some cases.  As others have commented, I also tend to view some reviews of products with quite a bit of mistrust (Amazon reviews in particular !)  

Reviews on this forum tend to be rather better informed - but even then there are clear exceptions (but those reviews are often challenged if you read the follow-up comments).

Anything  posted on here about any device that the poster has neither used for a significant amount of time nor actually owned I just ignore, which is why I can't comment on the Brazen with any validity, except for the expectation that any product deficiencies will be sorted out if for no other reason than the designer has put a lot of investment into the product and it can't be allowed to fail for some unanticipated glitches.

Fair to say that if Technivorm had a product glitch, the management could just walk down to the factory floor and fix it there and then.  Not so easy when you are dealing with manufacturers in China.  Melitta had the earlier brewer models on which the Bonavita is based well bedded down in production in Germany before it was transferred to China.

Posted June 24, 2013 link

This really gets to the point I was trying to make.  While I do not own a Technivorm, the reputation is impeccable.  The fact that some people have reported stories of buying three of them and none of them getting hot enough (this was on a retail site, not here) highlights the fact that sometimes it's the user and not the equipment.
roastmybeans

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Mocamaster
Roaster: Nesco
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 4:09pm

let's not forget you are on your second unit.... let us know how great you think it is when you are on your third..

The_Coffee_Guy Said:

If there is anyone still considering this great brewer (had to say that because it is and I haven't seen any good comments in ages here)...

After having one since October, I am getting consistent results of great coffee using a scale to weigh each lot of beans, a great grinder (Maestro Plus) and I am now going through variations of roasts (some from Costco and some using the Behmor 1600 roaster thanks to my dad)

Joe Behm has figured out that if you have a brewer where you can adjust altitude, temperature and pre-soak time, even the freshest of roasts can be fully enjoyed in the cup. There have of course been hickups with others and probably will continue to be so as the brewer is fine tuned. I guess I am one of the lucky ones to have a Brazen that has none of the issues being discussed in this forum. Being in the area of Toronto Canada we don't have water hardness issues compared to other areas which is partially why I don't have to discuss the quality of water going in to the Brazen. I bought my dad a Brazen recently and it has been running as flawless as mine so I really don't think the issues brought up are very wide spread in the manufacturing line.

For those of you on the fence, I recommend purchasing this unit if you love coffee and better yet love experimenting with different beans from different locations. The Brazen has proved to produce a reliable, repeatable excellent cup for the settings used (as everyone has different tastes).

Now, back to a Brazen cup of coffee

Adam

Posted June 13, 2013 link

The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 4:35pm

My second unit continues to be an awesome unit.  Hardness of water has not been an issue for me. I continue to get a consistently really good brew every time. At this rate I won't even talk about future other than to expect to continue to get great results. Now, back to making another cup :)
joc3721

Espresso: Vertrano
Grinder: Vario, Breville
Vac Pot: Hario, Kalita
Drip: KMB, chemex & Technivorm
Roaster: gene cafe
Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013, 3:57am

I'm now wafting for my 3rd unit.  My experience:  When it works, it's great.  Can't help but compare to my 11 year old Technivorm, which functions as new, every day.  I hope they get it right, it's disappointing how such a breakthrough design has performed so poorly for so many.  My confidence level is not high; I hope I'm wrong.
imsnowbear
imsnowbear

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Several, including Sunbeam...
Drip: Technivorm, Melitta Clarity,...
Roaster: SC/GG/Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 3:58pm

I've had my Brazen since January. It makes great coffee. I've had "short pot" issues with all the water not flowing through, but only when making a full pot. I've never had an issue with 16 ounce brews. I've noticed that the lid seems to create a vacuum in the reservoir when making a full pot. I theorize that this causes the water to drain slower and hence not flow all the way through in the time the programming allows for brewing. I'm assuming there's a timed shut off in the circuitry somewhere. My solution for this is to leave the lid slightly ajar to eliminate the negative pressure in the reservoir. So far this seems to work.

The "short pot" showed up almost immediately. However, I probed the drain and pulled out a wad of lint which was obstructing the flow. Probably just from sloppy manufacturing. I've also run citric acid and Dezcal through with indifferent results. The loose lid seems to be the most effective, and hopefully longer lasting solution. I also use the spray-nozzle-over-the-sink approach with good effect.

The Brazen is a sophisticated and complex instrument. My Technivorm, while crude compared to the Brazen is  a D9 bulldozer to the Brazen's space shuttle. The longevity of the Brazen remains to be seen, and I don't expect it to last as long as the TV. While it works, though, it produces a superior cup.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 4:04am

You might be on to something:  Could it be that there is NO VENT HOLE to allow air to enter (to replace the water)?  That ...sometimes, where the lid engages the body, there is a seal caused by a film of water ...and therefore air cannot enter?

If you are right, it would be such an easy thing to fix;  just drill a hole in the lid.

Jerry
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 5:26am

I see no vent hole to allow air to enter as the water exits.

On further consideration, I also ...see no steam escaping around the lid at any time.  So perhaps the steam 'makes up' or fills the space of the exiting water.  It would be quite a delicate balance and sometimes unfavourable for us, with enough vacuum to allow an ounce or two of water to remain.

OTOH, let me say again that I have had no such residual water.

Jerry
showing page 7 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Behmor Brazen...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.346544027328)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+