Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Capresso Infinity over Baratza Encore for drip/press grind?
Oy, Don't Forget the Tea
Because not everyone drinks coffee.  Organic, English Breakfast tea, as low as $16/lb.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Capresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
wtx

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 5:38pm
Subject: Capresso Infinity over Baratza Encore for drip/press grind?

Based on the advice of some local baristas and the good folks on this forum, I was about to buy the Baratza, but Wired just did a review of 7 burr grinders and claims it results in too much fine powder for great coffee. They recommend the Capresso for drip and pour-over. And both the Capresso and the Baratza were poorly rated for French Press:

Slave to the Grind: 7 Coffee Grinders Tested and Rated

I am replacing my Bodum Bistro grinder, which has a similar problem of grinding too fine at the coarsest setting and generating lots of powder. This makes really bitter coffee unless I (painstakingly) sift out the powder. Since I got burned on that purchase, I'm a little paranoid about choosing the right replacement.

It will only be for coffee, not espresso. I use a Technivorm and sometimes a French Press. I'd appreciate any advice, thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 7:11pm
Subject: Re: Capresso Infinity over Baratza Encore for drip/press grind?

Hi Will, and welcome to CG. Please don't place much credence in that Wired article. It is full of misleading statements (particularly concerning flat burr grinders).

Baratza grinders are highly regarded by many coffee aficionados. I have a Virtuoso in my office, and it grinds well for both drip and FP. At home I use a Breville Smart grinder. The grind is comparable to the Virtuoso, but the ergonomics are better.

Obviously these home grinders are not in the same league as large commercial flat burr bulk grinders costing 10X as much (e.g., the Mahlkonig Guatemala). No surprise there, unless you believe the nonsense written in the Wired article.

Re the Bodum Bistro:
If you cannot get a coarse enough grind, it may be possible to adjust the grind setting by opening up the grinder and repositioning the burrs. I have no experience with the Bistro (only its predecessor, the Antigua), so I can't provide any specifics.
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 10:27pm

Ive had both. Honestly Id say save your money and go Virtuoso. Otherwise, get the Encore. The Infinity has crazy static issues, is louder, and at least by taste, is of less quality. Not scientific, but has been my experience.
coffeeguydenton

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 5:54am

I just want to second (or third) the endorsement of the Virtuoso.  I have a Preciso, which is essentially the same with more settings that I don't really use.  It's worth the money.  If you absolutely can't afford the Virtuoso, then I trust Baratza and their customer service is excellent.
wtx

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 7:35am

Thanks for the advice guys. It seems like one can't go wrong with the Virtuoso.

John, the idea of a built-in scale seems really nice to me. If the Breville really is on par with the Virtuoso, then that seems like quite a bit of bang for your buck - essentially a Virtuoso/Esatto in one. However, the Virtuoso gets across the board praise for its consistent course grind. The Breville has less reviews in general, and a few complaints here and there about powder and/or smaller course grind. In your experience, have you found the course settings on those two machines roughly (ha) equivalent?
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 8:17am

I've never made any quantitative comparisons of the coarse grind setting on the Baratza Virtuoso vs. Breville Smart grinders. Qualitatively, both do a reasonable job. (To muddy the waters even further, I have an insulated SS FP at work with a fairly fine nylon mesh, and a standard glass FP with a SS mesh at home. So comparisons are dicey at best.)

If you dislike the muddy FP brew, give the Clever Coffee Dripper a try. It permits a coarse grind immersion brew, similar to FP, but without fines in the cup.

BTW, the Breville Smart does not have a built-in scale. I weigh the beans on an inexpensive digital scale (highly recommended) prior to grinding.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 8:27am

wtx Said:

Thanks for the advice guys. It seems like one can't go wrong with the Virtuoso.

John, the idea of a built-in scale seems really nice to me. If the Breville really is on par with the Virtuoso, then that seems like quite a bit of bang for your buck - essentially a Virtuoso/Esatto in one. However, the Virtuoso gets across the board praise for its consistent course grind. The Breville has less reviews in general, and a few complaints here and there about powder and/or smaller course grind. In your experience, have you found the course settings on those two machines roughly (ha) equivalent?

Posted June 25, 2013 link

Smart Grinder is good for coarse, it lacks for espresso as there's not much adjustment, the burrs are not as good for espresso and the motor is weak (which is why many have had it jam on lighter roast). I was hoping Breville would have it updated by now since their updating their espresso machines, stronger motor, better burrs and more adjustment and they'd have a killer grinder as it has nice nifty features and it looks nice as well. Preciso in comparison is on another level for espresso, not even close. Otherwise I liked using the Smart Grinder, Preciso is just far better for my use.

But for your needs, Smart Grinder or Virtuoso, can't go wrong with either. If you get the BBB 20% coupon you can snag a deal there, some of the stores even carry it (and the Dual Boiler), but most want you to order and then pay for shipping to the store. I have one by me like that, and then another by me that I think is their largest store they have, and they carry damn near everything there, even had the BDB and SG as a package offering last time I was there.
wtx

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 9:37am

Ah, ok. I misunderstood how the Breville works. You tell it how many cups, strength, and grind, and it "intelligently" measures for you - but you can't specify an exact weight.

It seems like these two grinders are very closely matched, and it will be a tough call. Thanks again for all your comments!
coffeeguydenton

Drip: Chemex
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 10:07am

CMIN Said:

Smart Grinder is good for coarse, it lacks for espresso as there's not much adjustment, the burrs are not as good for espresso and the motor is weak (which is why many have had it jam on lighter roast). I was hoping Breville would have it updated by now since their updating their espresso machines, stronger motor, better burrs and more adjustment and they'd have a killer grinder as it has nice nifty features and it looks nice as well. Preciso in comparison is on another level for espresso, not even close. Otherwise I liked using the Smart Grinder, Preciso is just far better for my use.

But for your needs, Smart Grinder or Virtuoso, can't go wrong with either. If you get the BBB 20% coupon you can snag a deal there, some of the stores even carry it (and the Dual Boiler), but most want you to order and then pay for shipping to the store. I have one by me like that, and then another by me that I think is their largest store they have, and they carry damn near everything there, even had the BDB and SG as a package offering last time I was there.

My understanding is that the Breville is no longer as good for coarse grinding as it was when it was initially released.  They initially developed an aftermarket shim kit for people who wanted to go finer for espresso, but then decided to change the default factory settings.  This effectively shifted the grind range and it no longer goes coarse enough for FP.  I was strongly considering purchasing the Breville for myself until I learned this. If I am not mistaken, you can still go in and fix the settings back to the original factory settings prior to the "update," but I didn't want to spend 200 dollars for something I would have to immediately open up and fix.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 10:41am

coffeeguydenton Said:

My understanding is that the Breville is no longer as good for coarse grinding as it was when it was initially released.  They initially developed an aftermarket shim kit for people who wanted to go finer for espresso, but then decided to change the default factory settings.  This effectively shifted the grind range and it no longer goes coarse enough for FP.  I was strongly considering purchasing the Breville for myself until I learned this. If I am not mistaken, you can still go in and fix the settings back to the original factory settings prior to the "update," but I didn't want to spend 200 dollars for something I would have to immediately open up and fix.

yeh I remember they updated the burrs for closer tolerances.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Capresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.307177066803)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+