Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Brikka Explodes Coffee?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Brikka Explodes...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
BOTR

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 6:35pm
Subject: Brikka Explodes Coffee?

Simple as the title states. I purchased a Brikka. I purchased some pre-ground Italian Espresso. I wanted to see grind size. I swear I followed the directions to the T, twice. And twice I had coffee explosions. I attempted to use just water, and it seems to work ok, pushed about 1/2 the water into the top, then I stopped it.

Any advise? Don't want to clean up a third coffee mess. If I can get this working I use my own beans, but I am baffled about this one. It's like the pressure just builds, and then releases all at once, coffee everywhere except in the pot.

Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 7:22pm
Subject: Re: Brikka Explodes Coffee?

BOTR Said:

Simple as the title states. I purchased a Brikka. I purchased some pre-ground Italian Espresso. I wanted to see grind size. I swear I followed the directions to the T, twice. And twice I had coffee explosions. I attempted to use just water, and it seems to work ok, pushed about 1/2 the water into the top, then I stopped it.

Any advise? Don't want to clean up a third coffee mess. If I can get this working I use my own beans, but I am baffled about this one. It's like the pressure just builds, and then releases all at once, coffee everywhere except in the pot.

Chris

Posted July 5, 2013 link

Did the pressure relief valve pop each time (I hope it is working otherwise dangerous)?  Did you tamp down grounds?  Did you tighten the top well against the bottom after making sure there were no grounds were on seals?

The above are important questions to address.  Never tamp down grounds in the brikka.  Always make sure there are no grounds on any surface to surface seal areas.  Always hand tighten real well (I have a brikka and even rub a bit of water into rubber seals prior to tightening).  When heating I have stove on high (electric) however once it pops I immediately turn off and let it ride out until the first hint of steams comes through top.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BOTR

Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 8:09pm

It's not the relief valve on the side that goes. It seems like all the water in the base is forced through the grounds all at once. It all comes out of the top with such force that it sprays everywhere. Like wiping floors 4 feet from the stove! Grounds were NOT tamped. No leakage from the seal between the top and bottom. Weird.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 9:16pm

BOTR Said:

It's not the relief valve on the side that goes. It seems like all the water in the base is forced through the grounds all at once. It all comes out of the top with such force that it sprays everywhere. Like wiping floors 4 feet from the stove! Grounds were NOT tamped. No leakage from the seal between the top and bottom. Weird.

Posted July 5, 2013 link

Oh.  I was under the impression that there was a pressure retention issue and the brikka forced the pressurized water through a possibly bit to loose seal.  It is actually the other way around.  It appears that your grind is a bit too coarse and heat a bit too high.  I would turn the heat down to 1/2 and work up from there.  If already 1/2, even lower.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

BOTR

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 7:35am

Thanks for the advise.

I used my beans today, and ground finer, lowered the heat. I did end up with a successful brew, but I had to kinda shake the Brikka to get the coffee to come up the through the pipe, took about 9 minutes. I then tried another batch with just a touch more heat. And bam coffee everywhere.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 7:55am

I find my most successful brews are when I grind fine (very fine drip setting on my Breville Smart Grinder).  I put the Brikka Grinds basket under the shute of my Breville and as it fills up with grinds I tap it a bit until I feel that when finished the grinds will be a bit under the top of the basket. I then take the basket from my breville and smooth out the top and tap it a couple more times.  Then I go ahead and do the brew.

Len

BOTR

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 12:14pm

I think I have to put it away for awhile. Just cant get it to function correctly. I let it sit for about 10 minutes over the flame this last time, and only when I spun the weighted thing on top did coffee come out. And by then the top was so hot that a lot of it burned off immediately. I'm so confused with this. Low heat, I get no coffee, maybe a burp or 2. As soon as I turn it up it blasts out with such force, that 90% of it is spread all over my kitchen. I think the most surprising thing it that I cant seem to find alot of info on this happening to people. It must be something I am doing, putting it away until next weekend, maybe I can try to brew a few outside then.

Thanks,
Chris
BOTR

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 12:42pm

After watching several YouTube videos, I am convinced something is wrong. The coffee never comes smoothly out of the top "valve". Maybe there is something mechanically wrong with my unit.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 1:21pm

BOTR Said:

After watching several YouTube videos, I am convinced something is wrong. The coffee never comes smoothly out of the top "valve". Maybe there is something mechanically wrong with my unit.

Posted July 6, 2013 link

The explosive force of it coming out the top spigot valve thing generally indicates a grind that is too coarse, too loose in the basket, and too high heat.  I've experienced the issue you are having, however not to the extreme of it going on the floor.  Do you have a picture of the coffee grinds you are using? (I may be able to tell you with more definity whether they are fine enough)

Also, what type of flame burner are you using?  You are using the correct of water?

As an aside, you should never have to spin the weight on the top or wiggle the Brikka to get it to work.

Len

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 1:36pm

I checked out this video on youtube (and IMHO it is not giving a good representation of what the Brikka can do):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm_Vm-3RxSU

If I find time I may do a video from start to finish of what I do.

Len

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Brikka Explodes...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.303148031235)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+