Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita vs Bunn HG
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita vs Bunn...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
steelgtr

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco
Grinder: Cuisinart Ceramic Burr
Drip: Mr. Coffee, Bunn, Krups
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 10:25am
Subject: Bonavita vs Bunn HG

Hi Guys

I'm giving up on my Bunn Thermo Fresh.  Even with the restrictor spray head, trying a finer grind and brewing 50 grams with 25 oz water, the coffee is strong but lifeless.  Again my old Mr Coffee with the same ratio gives a full bodied, robust satisfying cup.

So I'm down to the Bonavita and now I have found the Bunn HG Phase.

Does anyone have both and could comment. We like Starbucks House Blend as our daily brew; what I consider a darker medium roast. I drink mine black and my wife does add 1/2 and 1/2.

Thanks

Bob
 View Profile Link to this post
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 10:45am
Subject: Re: Bonavita vs Bunn HG

Wo, what model Mr. Coffee do you have that gives that "satisfying cup" you describe?

Bonavita's a good choice but be sure to check out Bunn Phase owners' comments on this forum.

I'm not a Starbucks fan but Hey.... to each his own.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 11:06am

steelgtr Said:

Hi Guys

I'm giving up on my Bunn Thermo Fresh.  Even with the restrictor spray head, trying a finer grind and brewing 50 grams with 25 oz water, the coffee is strong but lifeless.  Again my old Mr Coffee with the same ratio gives a full bodied, robust satisfying cup.

So I'm down to the Bonavita and now I have found the Bunn HG Phase.

Does anyone have both and could comment. We like Starbucks House Blend as our daily brew; what I consider a darker medium roast. I drink mine black and my wife does add 1/2 and 1/2.

Thanks

Bob

Posted July 7, 2013 link

I had the Phase Brew.  The unit has high failure rates (circuitry involved).  Mine also failed.  I returned it 2 days after purchase and bought the Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 741, only 1 of 4 SCAA certified drip brewers.  I am very pleased with its performance.  If you are looking for a comparison between the Bonavita and the Phase, get the Bonavita.  It is also one of only 4 SCAA certified drip brewers.  I am sure that you will find that most if not all Bonavita owners on CG will recommend it over the Phase Brew.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
steelgtr

Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 11:32am

msboo Said:

Wo, what model Mr. Coffee do you have that gives that "satisfying cup" you describe?

Bonavita's a good choice but be sure to check out Bunn Phase owners' comments on this forum.

I'm not a Starbucks fan but Hey.... to each his own.

Posted July 7, 2013 link

ISX43 is the  MC  model. Has a "strong" setting we use because we don't make a full pot (25 oz's)

I know a lot of people don't like SB's but we like House Blend and Verona, don't like  French Roasts or "Breakfast (light) roasts at all.

thx

bob
msboo

Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 3:51pm

Hey SteelGTR....  as I've read stated here on this forum, it's what you like in your cup that's important for you.

I second what Len posted.....  Bonavita or Technivorm. I like my Bonavita but tempted to get a TV (doesn't hurt having an extra brewer on hand)---I like the ones that have the control on the brew basket, feel that's a plus.
steelgtr

Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 5:02pm

msboo Said:

Hey SteelGTR....  as I've read stated here on this forum, it's what you like in your cup that's important for you.

I second what Len posted.....  Bonavita or Technivorm. I like my Bonavita but tempted to get a TV (doesn't hurt having an extra brewer on hand)---I like the ones that have the control on the brew basket, feel that's a plus.

Posted July 7, 2013 link

I know and I don't feel that this is a snobby forum, it's just folks passionate about their coffee which my wife and I are!

The TV has the brew control?  What is that?

Again, I think our problem is not brewing full pots which the more I read seems to be a big deal on a lot of machines. Maybe our Mr. Coffe works for us because of the longer saturation time for a small 25 oz pot?

Maybe I should start a separate thread asking for advice for a a small 4-6 cup machine?

thx

bob
Daniel437

Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 3:49am

You really can't go wrong with the Bonavita. It's slightly more expensive than the Bunn but a much better brewer. I'd get the thermal carafe version as well instead of the glass. Amazon usually sells both a steep discount if you head over to their Warehouse Deals page.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
msboo

Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 5:29pm

SteelGTR....  on some Technivorms there is a way to control the drip from the filter/brew basket---you can close it, open half way or all the way. This gives control especially for partial pots when you need a slower drip for better extraction. Look on their web site, you can get a close look of that part of the filter basket.

Daniel437 is right on the Bonavita---get the thermal if you buy one. I love the glass-lined thermos---all I've ever used.

Hey Daniel.... thanks for the tip for Warehouse Deals page on Amazon, didn't know bout that.
steelgtr

Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 6:43pm

msboo Said:

SteelGTR....  on some Technivorms there is a way to control the drip from the filter/brew basket---you can close it, open half way or all the way. This gives control especially for partial pots when you need a slower drip for better extraction. Look on their web site, you can get a close look of that part of the filter basket.

Daniel437 is right on the Bonavita---get the thermal if you buy one. I love the glass-lined thermos---all I've ever used.

Hey Daniel.... thanks for the tip for Warehouse Deals page on Amazon, didn't know bout that.

Posted July 8, 2013 link

So the thermal works well like a real thermos bottle?

bob
msboo

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 11:04am

Yes, a thermal carafe works like a thermos bottle. I preheat my thermal carafe with hot tap water before filling the water tank and grinding beans.

Brewing into a thermal carafe is a great/convenient way for best results. OR IF your brewer has a glass carafe you need to decant fresh brew into a thermal carafe immediately when brewing is complete. Before getting a Bonavita thermal model, my former brewers had glass carafes SO I poured the fresh brew into a glass-lined thermal carafe. Glass-lined has always been my personal preference but many people are very happy with their stainless-lined Technivorm thermal models.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita vs Bunn...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.306208133698)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+