Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
ROFLMAO:  "Bustelo - or - How to Make it Yourself"
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > ROFLMAO:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 6:00am
Subject: Re: ROFLMAO:  "Bustelo - or - How to Make it Yourself"

I made the Bustelo today with my 4 cup Brikka.  The 4 cup model makes 6 fluid oz. of brew.  I used 2 tablespoons of sugar (yikes) for the initial sugar frothing.  I probably put a bit too much initial brikka brew in the sugar, but I was still able to whip it up a bit into the "peanut butter like paste" that our friend Ken "Hank" the Chef on the Bustelo video references.  I then mixed it into the brikka brew that was left and then drank it.  It definitely stands on its own and wasn't bad.  The natural burnt taste of the bustelo coffee when combined with the frothed sugar definitely makes it drinkable, and enjoyable in fact.  

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 6:23am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I made the Bustelo today with my 4 cup Brikka.  The 4 cup model makes 6 fluid oz. of brew.  I used 2 tablespoons of sugar (yikes) for the initial sugar frothing.  I probably put a bit too much initial brikka brew in the sugar, but I was still able to whip it up a bit into the "peanut butter like paste" that our friend Ken "Hank" the Chef on the Bustelo video references.  I then mixed it into the brikka brew that was left and then drank it.  It definitely stands on its own and wasn't bad.  The natural burnt taste of the bustelo coffee when combined with the frothed sugar definitely makes it drinkable, and enjoyable in fact.  

Len

Posted July 10, 2013 link

yeh when it's done right, it's good, really good. I can't go in/leave Miami w/o grabbing a Cafe Cubano or Cortadito from somewhere, and the really good ones grind the beans vs preground. Or after eating Cuban food and having one right after... yum. Miami Airport even has little Cuban stands throughout lol. For whatever reason Pilon/Bustelo have a completely different taste then what you'd think a normal burnt looking bean or stale preground coffee would be, not sure why. Some will even use an espresso machine and not Moka, and pack the coffee and then pack sugar on top, and make a single or double shot like that.

This is usually how it's served down here, you get a cup, and then thimble sized cups to down your liquid crack lol
Click Here (i146.photobucket.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 6:29am

CMIN Said:

yeh when it's done right, it's good, really good. I can't go in/leave Miami w/o grabbing a Cafe Cubano or Cortadito from somewhere, and the really good ones grind the beans vs preground. Or after eating Cuban food and having one right after... yum. Miami Airport even has little Cuban stands throughout lol. For whatever reason Pilon/Bustelo have a completely different taste then what you'd think a normal burnt looking bean or stale preground coffee would be, not sure why. Some will even use an espresso machine and not Moka, and pack the coffee and then pack sugar on top, and make a single or double shot like that.

This is usually how it's served down here, you get a cup, and then thimble sized cups to down your liquid crack lol
Click Here (i146.photobucket.com)

Thats what my Brikka Buselo looked like, real dark with that sugar froth on the top.  Maybe I post a video on how to make it with a Brikka as I don't have a regular moka pot.  It is a bit different process.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 7:16am

JuanR Said:

(...) Cuban coffee. (...)

Posted July 9, 2013 link

CMIN Said:

(...) Cuban Coffee (...)

Posted July 9, 2013 link

Actually, cuban coffee (or cafecito) is made by adding demerara sugar or brown cane sugar to the portafilter or cup used to pour an espresso, allowing the sugar to mix with the espresso shot. A common method is to first add only the first few drops of espresso to the sugar and mix it, until you get a creamy, light brown paste. The remaining espresso is then added to this paste and stirred, creating a light brown foam layer, or espumita on top of the coffee. A cafecito can be brewed using either an espresso machine or a moka pot.

So, basically Ken does it right. I'm just not sure you have to use stale pre-ground Bustelo.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 7:37am

NobbyR Said:

Actually, cuban coffee (or cafecito) is made by adding demerara sugar or brown cane sugar to the portafilter or cup used to pour an espresso, allowing the sugar to mix with the espresso shot. A common method is to first add only the first few drops of espresso to the sugar and mix it, until you get a creamy, light brown paste. The remaining espresso is then added to this paste and stirred, creating a light brown foam layer, or espumita on top of the coffee. A cafecito can be brewed using either an espresso machine or a moka pot.

So, basically Ken does it right. I'm just not sure you have to use stale pre-ground Bustelo.

I wonder if there is a definition difference between cafecito and "bustelo".  Seems like "bustelo" evolved into what it is today due to the pilon and bustelo brand pre-ground coffees.

It would be interesting to see the history behind it all.  I am curious to see if the sugar cane rich Cuba was the influence behind the huge amount of sugar used in the preparation of bustelo.  Probably was.

Len

JuanR

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 7:56am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I wonder if there is a definition difference between cafecito and "bustelo".  Seems like "bustelo" evolved into what it is today due to the pilon and bustelo brand pre-ground coffees.

It would be interesting to see the history behind it all.  I am curious to see if the sugar cane rich Cuba was the influence behind the huge amount of sugar used in the preparation of bustelo.  Probably was.

Len

Len, glad to see you had something of a taste for cafecito (it's really not for everyone).

As far as the pre-ground Bustelo goes, I have tried to make this with several different fresh coffee beans, freshly ground; it NEVER works.  You don't get the foam and the flavor is not even close to what it should be.  I would imagine freshly ground Bustelo beans would work, but the whole beans are not readily available in stores around here.  Living in Houston, with so many micro-roast options widely available to pick up in any number of different outlets, I am pretty reluctant to order beans to be shipped to me (ie. why wait for shipping, when so many excellent local options are available to be brewed tonight).  I should probably just order a bag to see if it works, though.

I kind of liken it to Vietnamese coffee, a Houston staple.  The aggressive, funky, bitter grounds used to make this are what give the drink its distinctive flavor.  It's coffee that is disgusting on its own, but great when prepared correctly.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 8:13am

JuanR Said:

Len, glad to see you had something of a taste for cafecito (it's really not for everyone).

As far as the pre-ground Bustelo goes, I have tried to make this with several different fresh coffee beans, freshly ground; it NEVER works.  You don't get the foam and the flavor is not even close to what it should be.  I would imagine freshly ground Bustelo beans would work, but the whole beans are not readily available in stores around here.  Living in Houston, with so many micro-roast options widely available to pick up in any number of different outlets, I am pretty reluctant to order beans to be shipped to me (ie. why wait for shipping, when so many excellent local options are available to be brewed tonight).  I should probably just order a bag to see if it works, though.

I kind of liken it to Vietnamese coffee, a Houston staple.  The aggressive, funky, bitter grounds used to make this are what give the drink its distinctive flavor.  It's coffee that is disgusting on its own, but great when prepared correctly.

The coffee roasters in us want to try to "improve" coffee all the time, but sometimes I think it is best to just sit back and let certain things be.  Like this case of using bustelo or pilon when making the Bustelo.  Basically don't break something that works, right?  It's rich in history and culture and should be enjoyed for its taste and memories.

Len

oktyone

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 2:35pm

Just a quick tip on Cuban Cafecito...

You can skip the whole stirring the hell out of lots of sugar with the first drops of moka-pot coffee, by just brewing a normal coffee in a moka pot, pouring in a cup, adding a moderate amount of sugar and then stirr the coffee-sugar solution with one of those battery operated milk frothers (aerolatte), a fake light brownish crema will be created on top, just like the one created with the traditional method of stirring sugar with a few drops of moka pot coffee with much less hassle.

I think this technique might have reached Cuba via the italian diaspora there, as i've heard of this very same method used in houses and even in coffee shops in some parts of Italy.
RussK
RussK

Espresso: Alex II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Type B
Drip: Bunn DV TC / Chemex / Hario...
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 6:21pm

Well I got a can of Bustelo and gave it a try this evening. I think that I need to work on my technique a little as I was not getting the fake crema but the flavor is indeed not bad at all. Maybe I am not whipping my sugar up enough, not sure, but I am going to try it some more and see what happens.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 7:57pm

RussK Said:

Well I got a can of Bustelo and gave it a try this evening. I think that I need to work on my technique a little as I was not getting the fake crema but the flavor is indeed not bad at all. Maybe I am not whipping my sugar up enough, not sure, but I am going to try it some more and see what happens.

I have a 4 cup Brikka, and used 2 tablespoons of sugar for the initial whipping.  I put a tad too much brikka espresso in it and the sugar after whipping it was a bit runny.  What are you using for your sugar ratio?  From the videos I see it appears that they do not put much moka espresso in the sugar for the whipping; kind of like a real thick paste at first then they whip the heck out of it till no granules are left.

Len

showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > ROFLMAO:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.397265911102)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+