Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Delonghi EC155 green light turns off after ~10 seconds
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Delonghi EC155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ejdolly

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 5:33am
Subject: Delonghi EC155 green light turns off after ~10 seconds

Hello,

I have a Delonghi EC155 espresso maker that I got used and have descaled within the past week.  I had always been able to get a shot out of one "cycle" of the heating pump, but now, after the green "ready" light is on and I've turned the switch to brew, after about ten seconds the green light turns off and the pressure drops significantly.  I've tested this without the portafilter and coffee at all, and barely any water comes out, starting at around 8-10 seconds and the light turns off.

My current solution is to turn it on and let it heat up for a while (10-30 mins), running it with just water a few times as well, THEN pouring the real shot.

Is this a problem with the pump of do I need to descale again?  Could it be something with power supply too?  Many thanks,

Eli
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 6:44am
Subject: Re: Delonghi EC155 green light turns off after ~10 seconds

Elijah
Welcome to the board.

That is a very inexpensive machine, only $87 new.

Even if you find the issue, it is likely that it will cost more to repair than you could replace it with another used machine, I would guess $20, if that.

If it has introduced you to Espresso and you really like it, perhaps it is time to move "up the ladder" so to speak and get a real espresso setup. That machine uses a pressurized PF, it is designed to let you use pre ground, stale coffee and still get "something" that resembles (but is NOT) espresso. The temp regulation on it is very poor and that makes it very hard to get anything consistently.

A starter setup, that is a grinder, machine and tamper, rock bottom, new is in the $400 range and up for anything that comes close to espresso.

I'm  sure that is not what you wanted to hear.

OH, btw, any machine takes about half an hour to come up to temp, forget the "ready" light, the rest of the machine is cold, it ALL needs to get to a stable temp.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 8:33am

I have owned the EC155 myself but have never this problem.  This could be caused by many things like a spent/damaged element, gasket.  If you bought the machine used it may be dying on you.  These machines are pretty much built to be disposable.  Use for a few years and throw away.  I agree with calblacksmith I would just replace it.  Also the EC155 is built not to be descaled.  The cost of say a Gaggia espresso machine is $200-$350 depending on the model. What grinder are you currently using
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ejdolly

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 9:38am

Thank you both for the quick reply!

Yeah, I knew it was cheap and am saving up what I can to put towards an upgrade, especially in the way of the grinder (still using a timed blade grinder that I swirl/shake while it's going to even things out a little more), but was hoping I could coax more from what I have.  That is good news about all machines requiring time to come up to temp, but I suppose I can't COMPLETELY cheap out on everything and get anything worthwhile :/

So my next step would either be to get a cheap replacement EC155, or the next steps up I was looking most seriously at were a Gaggia Baby/Classic and a Baratza Virtuoso/Rancilio Rocky?
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 10:22am

Yeah the Classic + Virtuoso would be a nice set up for a lower budget.  My only upset is that the Classic doesn't have  a multi directional arm.  If your not a big steamer then this set up would please you greatly!.

You are looking at around $600 for the set up new.  If you contact Baratza and Crossland you may be able to get a refurbed CC1 + Baratza grinder for maybe $100 more.  :)
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ejdolly

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 3:23pm

I'm not :)

And you guys are really making me want to go ahead with an upgrade...my girlfriend and bank account will not be happy...
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 4:31pm

Girl friends may come and go but espresso is forever

Well, maneuver not. Lol

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Delonghi EC155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.238623142242)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+