Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > .  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 5:44am
Subject: .

View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 6:19am
Subject: Re: ROK Manual Espresso Maker (formerly Presso)

I think Mark Prince is looking at them again, they were supposed to be redesigned to make them stronger, the arms on the first model sometimes broke under the pressure of making coffee.

Don't quote me on the above but I do remember something about this maker and Mark There are some reviews on it in our review section, are these the ones you are referring to?

I hate getting old, memories get mixed up,  you think you heard something and you did not then there are the things you hear and don't remember, ...... I hate getting old!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 6:27am

It's nowhere near on par with the Mypressi, in terms of espresso. Mypressi shot quality is far, far better.

The Presso/ROK is easy & fun to use, needs a fair bit of pre-heating. A couple of run throughs with boiling water, with a pause arms half down to hold the water in the device & portafilter, then you are good to go.

Maybe due to the lower pressure, maybe due to the crude shower screen, but you don't get decent puck integrity, the puck always seems a little loose and the top looks shot blasted. Maybe because of this you seem to get a little more solids in the cup with finer grinds, so I line the basket with an Aeropress filter paper for a cleaner cup.

There is a lot of talk about how to get a decent crema with the Presso/ROK...it can be done but is somewhat of an uphill battle & can detract from focus on the drink, which may still be pretty good in it's own right. If you forget trying to get crema/an authentic espresso type drink, grind a little coarser and head more for lungo/moka pot brew ratios, you can get great, quick, strong coffee.

There was a recent post on the UK forum stating that ROK were not using BPA free materials for the water chamber.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 6:53am

I found the thread. Marks reply is near the bottom.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/633163#633163

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 7:57am
Subject: .

PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 11:05am

I have one of the older, All Clad, versions of this machine.  They were blowing them out pretty cheap at someplace like Target.  I think it was about $50.

If you want to amuse yourself by pulling a shot of espresso without the use of electricity, this thing will do it, but it is a whole lot of bother. You have to preheat it by running hot water through it a few times before the shot.  There are air gaps in the piston which limit the pressure.  I found a workaround by pumping the handles to build up the pressure.  Jim Schulman came up with a good fix for this issue which involved Teflon inserts to fill the gaps.  I believe this fix is on Home Barista.  I was going to do Jim's fix but then started to wonder if the gaps were intentional to limit pressure and therefore force on the handles.  I started to see stuff about the handles breaking causing the machine to tip and scald the user.  I may do Jim's  mod someday but this thing does scare me.

I would say that if the new seller of this machine has addressed the safety issue and made it so it will yield the pressure of a real espresso machine, buy it if you are willing to put up with the drill.

I think there was an incarnation of this machine before All Clad which was well thought of.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > .  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.228397846222)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+