Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 266 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
helenc

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 9:54am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

I just registered here to thank Alan Adler for his remarkable invention which I recently took with me on a rail trip round Europe. In combination with a small travel kettle to heat the water it enabled me and my husband to have a lovely cup of coffee every morning wherever we were staying. This was very useful in European hotel rooms which, in my experience, don't usually provide coffee-making facilities. The Aeropress was really easy to clean and I liked the way the coffee grounds compressed into a puck as it meant they were easily emptied into a bag and then into a bin without ending up all over the hotel room.

The taste of the coffee I found to be really interesting as it seemed to me like a cross between filter coffee and moka pot coffee (the latter being the way I usually make coffee at home - although the Aeropress I now use as a quicker way to make a single cup).

I haven't done all of the experimenting that people on here seem to be doing (although it sounds fascinating!) - but I have found that making a smaller, stronger amount and then diluting it seems to be the best way for me, personally, to make decent, strong coffee for two people. Interestingly, I haven't found I'm using more coffee than I do with my moka pot - but I tend to put quite a lot in that anyway ...

I'm aiming to read the whole thread eventually but I'm nowhere near the end yet and may never catch up!

One interesting thing resulting from our trip was that we found our tastes had changed a lot on coming home - 'home' food and drink tasted quite strange, although this experience only lasted for a few hours. Made me think how subjective our tastes might be and how much we might tend to prefer what we are used to - acquired tastes and all that ... anyone else experienced the same thing after a trip away? And what would the implications be for tasting and rating coffee?

Helen.
 View Profile Link to this post
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 11:10am

jpender Said:

So what is the recipe you have been using along with those three paper filters?

Posted June 6, 2013 link

Inverted, I do 12g of coffee ground around 14 on Virtuoso, 180g of 195deg water. Preinfusion 30g for 30s, stir 5x, add the rest of the water, stir 5x, press at 1:00, end at 1:30. I have not done side by side cups like you have, and I may do that soon just for fun and get someone to mix them up so it can be blind. It makes sense that if you had 5x the filtration that the cup would be cleaner, much like a chemex is due to how heavy that paper is.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 5:55pm

squaremile Said:

Inverted, I do 12g of coffee ground around 14 on Virtuoso, 180g of 195deg water. Preinfusion 30g for 30s, stir 5x, add the rest of the water, stir 5x, press at 1:00, end at 1:30. I have not done side by side cups like you have, and I may do that soon just for fun and get someone to mix them up so it can be blind. It makes sense that if you had 5x the filtration that the cup would be cleaner, much like a chemex is due to how heavy that paper is.

Posted June 23, 2013 link

Thanks for the recipe. It will be interesting to see what you get if you try side-by-side brews.

It makes sense that the coffee would be clarified by some amount by adding filters but it isn't obvious by how much. It could be that the difference is negligible. That seems to be what I saw in my quick test.

Frankly I was surprised that they all looked identical. When I reproduced Alan Adler's original recipe I got striking clarity in the brew. I tried his recipe three ways: (1) fine grind, slow press (original); (2) fine grind, fast press; (3) coarse grind, slow press. The coffee was exceptionally clear for the two cases where I pressed slow but it was cloudy when I pressed fast. One thing I didn't try was to brew at a different temperature. So even when doing a very slow press at my more usual brew temperature it seems I get coffee that is less clear, regardless of the number of filters or how slowly and gently I press.

I still have those five batches in little glass vials on my desk. After about a week they became brilliantly clear with a hint of sediment on the bottom and a little bit of gooey looking stuff floating on top.
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 6:50pm

Helen, welcome to the forum.

helenc Said:

One interesting thing resulting from our trip was that we found our tastes had changed a lot on coming home - 'home' food and drink tasted quite strange, although this experience only lasted for a few hours. Made me think how subjective our tastes might be and how much we might tend to prefer what we are used to - acquired tastes and all that ... anyone else experienced the same thing after a trip away? And what would the implications be for tasting and rating coffee?

I'm sure this is a common experience. Some years ago I returned from a relatively short trip to Japan and found that I could no longer tolerate anything sweet for breakfast. My coffee preferences have gone just about 180 degrees around in the last couple of years, despite my not having a diagnosed brain tumor. So yeah, you're right. Subjectivity.
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 12:37pm

helenc Said:

I just registered here to thank Alan Adler for his remarkable invention which I recently took with me on a rail trip round Europe. In combination with a small travel kettle to heat the water it enabled me and my husband to have a lovely cup of coffee every morning wherever we were staying. This was very useful in European hotel rooms which, in my experience, don't usually provide coffee-making facilities. The Aeropress was really easy to clean and I liked the way the coffee grounds compressed into a puck as it meant they were easily emptied into a bag and then into a bin without ending up all over the hotel room.

The taste of the coffee I found to be really interesting as it seemed to me like a cross between filter coffee and moka pot coffee (the latter being the way I usually make coffee at home - although the Aeropress I now use as a quicker way to make a single cup).

I haven't done all of the experimenting that people on here seem to be doing (although it sounds fascinating!) - but I have found that making a smaller, stronger amount and then diluting it seems to be the best way for me, personally, to make decent, strong coffee for two people. Interestingly, I haven't found I'm using more coffee than I do with my moka pot - but I tend to put quite a lot in that anyway ...

I'm aiming to read the whole thread eventually but I'm nowhere near the end yet and may never catch up!

Helen.

Dear Helen,

Thank you for the kind words.  I to prefer to press concentrate, then dilute to American strength.  And I also like to put the concentrate in milk for a latte.  Lately my tummy prefers lactose-free milk, which is sold in most supermarkets.  I like the "2%" which is deliciously rich.

You mentioned using more coffee.  What grind size are you using?  The finer the grind, the more flavor per gram of coffee, but fine grinds demand gentle pressing and patience.

Best,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
helenc

Posted Tue Jul 2, 2013, 12:17pm

jpender Thanks for the welcome, and for sharing your similar taste experiences. My coffee preferences have changed a lot over the years as well.

Alan Thanks for posting a reply. Nice to 'meet' you! Yes, diluting concentrate seems to work best for me both in the Aeropress and when using my moka pot.

I don't actually know whether I am using more coffee than you recommend. I would have to go and check. It seems to me I'm using about the same amount in the moka pot and the Aeropress to make coffee for two people, but I haven't compared that with how much I should be using. I'll have to get back to you!

As far as grind size goes, I'm afraid I couldn't give a figure, but I would say it's at the fine end of the scale. I do press the coffee very slowly in the Aeropress - partly for extra flavour and partly, I must admit, because it feels like more of a magical, mystical ritual that way (and maybe that in itself also makes the coffee taste better!)

- Helen.
helenc

Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 12:09pm

Well, I have just checked how much coffee I have been using in the Aeropress to make enough concentrate for two cups and it is actually less than than recommended in the instructions. I am using the same amount I put in my small moka pot and it isn't quite enough to fill two Aeropress scoops, although not too far off (maybe two scoops each about three quarters full). I have no complaints - it tastes fine. :)
Dat

Grinder: Capresso Infinity/ Hario...
Drip: Krups Moka Brew/ AAP
Roaster: West Bend Poppery 2
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 2:37pm

Yes, a new member here. I started reading this thread a couple weeks ago, and have been using the AP for one week. 
I am on page 138 of 266 right now and hope to make it to this point in the near future. There is useful info in there. 

My coffee history started with drip like most.
For about 2 years with a Krups Moka Brew that has given excellent cups with premium whole bean roast (Peets and the like).
I use 24g coffee to brew 2 eleven oz. mugs. This uses low pressure steam for a high temp extraction. Sometimes perfect taste, sometimes a bit too bright.

I wanted a portable system, and also a one cup brewer with great taste. AreoPress is worth a try. $21 on Amazon was a nice price.

I have a Capresso Infinity burr grinder already, and also just bought the Hario Manual grinder for portability.
I have been home roasting with a Poppery 2 for about 3 months now. I use beans from SM and like Full City to FC+. Good with the AP. I rest roast for one day and consume within five days. 

Bloom has not been a problem for me, very little to deal with at my temps of 182-185 F.

Now for my trials and exp. with AP brews...

First try was with 12g coffee (same amount I use in my KMB) ground between drip and espresso ( Infinity in fine range 2nd finest).
Water temp of 175. 
Inverted plunger at 4 and water up to 2. 
15 sec stir
25 sec press
Add water to have 11 oz.
Results was very smooth but weak. 

Next try I doubled the coffee 24g. Only other Change was more water up to 1 inverted.
Result ok but not great. Strength good but too smooth. 

Next try finer grind - expresso x-fine range.
Reduced to one scoop of beans which weighs 15-16g trying to conserve.
Temp still 175
Same water level inverted 
Stir time increase to 30 sec.
Dillute to 11 oz.
Result ok but not what I'm looking for yet.

Another try without inverting. 16g. Water only to wet grind and stir. More water to 2 spot and stir. Slow drip thru but not much in 30 sec. Press 25 sec.
About the same as last one.

Some days I use my KMB but trying to master the AP cup.

Good news... Here is the one AP that makes me happy!

I returned grind to my starting point.. 
16g ground between drip and espresso ( Infinity in fine range 2nd finest).
Water temp increase to 183.
Inverted plunger at 4 and water up to near top.. Just 3/4 inch below.
45 sec stir
Wet filter in cap
Remaining water in mug in micro to boil
Press begins at one minute mark
25 sec press into hot water mug giving 11 oz total.
Result is great!
Not as bright as my Moka Brewer, just right.... and very rich in flavor. I'm happy.
I typically add 
Mocha Mix or Half & Half plus Birch tree sugar.

I left out some tries, including inverted pressing ... Even with paper filter it was more oily but not worth the time and mess.

So if you haven't found your "happy" press yet, try this one. If it doesn't suit your taste keep trying variations.

Thanks to Alan and the other big contributors to this informative forum post.

I almost forgot to mention..... This is perfect for iced coffee that is delicious! Just add sweet and cream to concentrate and add ice. Make it black if you prefer.
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 8:29am

jpender Said:

After about one year the rubber part of the plunger no longer made a consistent seal.

Posted November 13, 2012 link

The original rubber part of my AP plunger stopped sealing effectively after about 750 cups of coffee, based on the number of filters I had gone through. I got a new one (courtesy of Aerobie) late last November. Now, 8 months and less than 500 cups later I am once again forced to run hot or boiling water over the plunger to get it to seal properly. I was trying to take especially good care of it to make it last longer.

This isn't meant to be a complaint. I never expected the Aeropress to last very long.
But is my experience with these plungers unusual?
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 10:55pm

Hi Jpender,

I've never worn a seal out.  I press the standard way and use 175F water.  What do you do?  Of course I assume that you store it either pushed all the way in, or totally separated -- but nothing in between.

We sell replacement seals very cheaply.  Just call 650-493-3050.  And if you say Alan said to ask for a free one, you'll get that too.

Best,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 266 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.389677047729)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+