Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
What type of machine?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > What type of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Somersetgirl

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 3:03pm
Subject: What type of machine?

Hi everyone!

So I've read through the forums in a lot of detail, and I know people have asked this before, but I'm confused!

I'm setting up a catering trailer cafe, to work at events and festivals etc. I am really keen to make fantastic coffee amongst other things.
I originally thought I wanted an espresso machine, probably group 2. I am now wondering if this is the best route to go. I understand I need to buy a good grinder, but can anyone advise the best type of coffee machine?
It needs to be relatively light, and I hope to need to make up to 100 coffees an hour.
I don't have an endless budget, and would probably look at a second hand machine. But are there other options? Does anyone have experience with coffee to bean machines? Are there any options I may not have even thought about?
Sorry for the lack of understanding, I just want to get this right!
Any info would be gratefully received!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 10:03pm
Subject: Re: What type of machine?

If you've never made espresso before (and it sounds that way), I highly recommend forgetting about that option completely.  Just push it out of your mind.  If it tries to come back, push it away again.  I don't mean to be critical of you, but there is a steep learning curve in making great espresso, and you're talking about making a hundred drinks an hour.  Do the math, you'd have to make more than 3 drinks every two minutes!  Most of us here who've been doing this for many years can't do that.  Instead, focus on making great drip coffee.

...and since you're in Somerset, I absolutely have to ask...do you drink Moor beer?  The owner is one of my very best friends.  I've known him for 30 years and he's like a brother to me.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Somersetgirl

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 1:30am

Hi
Many thanks for your reply.
I have used espresso machines before having worked in cafes and restaurants but it's one thing making them on someone else's machine and a whole new thing considering buying one myself!!

I will take a look into the drip coffee route - I don't want to go and buy a machine which I'm not comfortable using so maybe this is the way forward!

And with regards to the beer - no I haven't had Moor beer before, but I will certainly look out for it and give it a go when I see it!
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 9:36am

Moor beer just took Silver medal in the bitter category at GBBF last week. They've won many other awards, some even more prestigious! They are located in Somerset. I know there are several local pubs that will have it on line.

Good luck with your cart...please keep the questions coming.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > What type of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.211758136749)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+