Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Quick advice needed please
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Quick advice...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Angman
Angman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 12:16am
Subject: Quick advice needed please

Hi, I have been an espresso geek for a few years now. But I also like drip as well. I have many of the other toys but need/want a good auto drip maker. I'm going to Seattle coffee gear tomorrow and need advice. I always thought I wanted a Brazen.  They are sold out but other online retailers still sell them. Is there a new improved model coming out? Or am I better off looking at a bonavita or the moccamaster. Are there any particular models to look at if those are recommended?  Much help would be appreciated.

I will probably be using this with a Breville Smartgrinder that's collecting dust. This grinder should be sufficient? If not I do have a Mazzer Major, Compak K10 or HG One which I can dedicate to my drip brew in the morning. I know how important a good grinder is to espresso and assume the same can be said with drip (but hoping the Brevilles) good enough.

Thank you in advance
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 3:49am
Subject: Re: Quick advice needed please

Well, the Technivorm Moccamaster is certainly one of the best drip coffee makers around, which is probably why it's SCAA approved.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 6:32am

Angman Said:

Hi, I have been an espresso geek for a few years now. But I also like drip as well. I have many of the other toys but need/want a good auto drip maker. I'm going to Seattle coffee gear tomorrow and need advice. I always thought I wanted a Brazen.  They are sold out but other online retailers still sell them. Is there a new improved model coming out? Or am I better off looking at a bonavita or the moccamaster. Are there any particular models to look at if those are recommended?  Much help would be appreciated.

I will probably be using this with a Breville Smartgrinder that's collecting dust. This grinder should be sufficient? If not I do have a Mazzer Major, Compak K10 or HG One which I can dedicate to my drip brew in the morning. I know how important a good grinder is to espresso and assume the same can be said with drip (but hoping the Brevilles) good enough.

Thank you in advance

Posted August 23, 2013 link

Commenting only on your question about Bonavita/Technivorm models - There are 2 models of the Bonavita - the conventional glass carafe and a thermal carafe version (glass lined vacuum flask inner).  Depends on your own preference. The brewing mechanisms are the same.

There are "x" versions of the domestic size Technivorms available, and they vary depending on where you are in the World.  The differences are - capacity, although most are 1.25l, and whether or not they have a gizmo to slow down/stop brewing temporarily to allow for smaller pots and or stirring the filter basket.  Outside of that, the innards are virtually identical for all models, and other differences are largely cosmetic.

I have both a Melitta (the original European model - the Bonavita is a re-badged version for 110v) and a Technivorm (actually, 2).  

Both work extremely well, and I can't detect any difference in the brew they make.  

Under the hood, the Technivorms are very well engineered units, with high quality components, and spares are available.  The Melitta is competent, but clearly not designed to be disassembled.  

From a convenience point of view, the Technivorm is the winner, and the one I use all the time these days.  Easier to clean than the Melitta, and (thermal jug option apart - mine are both glass) you can just chuck everything but the main unit in the dishwasher.

From a price/performance point of view - depends on prices in your market, but having read about the very high prices of Technivorms in N.America, it probably goes to the Bonavita. Where I live, I paid much less for the Technivorms than for the Melitta.
Angman
Angman

Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 9:01am

Thank you that is very helpful as the TV models are about double the price of the Bonavitas.  Anyone have comments on the Brazen?
coffeeguydenton

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 12:48pm

Angman Said:

Thank you in advance

Just speaking to your grinder, the Breville should be sufficient if dedicated to drip, especially if it is a little older.  They changed the factory "shim" on it so that it would be better suited for espresso out of the box, but that modification made it no good for FP.  The consistency should be fine for drip.

As to the Brazen, I do not own one, but my good friend does and I have enjoyed many cups of coffee from it.  It brews an excellent cup of coffee, but appears to have some quality control issues right now.  My personal opinion is hold off until they are addressed.  I am told that the issues are being worked on.  Bonavita is also working on an answer to the Brazen.  I am personally waiting on that to come out to purchase my next drip machine, but there is currently no date, or even an estimate that I have heard.
Angman
Angman

Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 11:52pm

That is great to know. I went by Seattle Coffee Gear today and wasnt overly impressed by the TV. They are nice but not sure if they are $350+ nice. They had a Brazen on demo but non for sale. If there might be a new model as well as a competing Bonavita I am willing to wait a but longer as I have other methods of making great coffee.

As for the smart grinder yes it's the older first version and I will strictly be using it for the drip machine and maybe pour over.

Thank you
PandaMatic

Grinder: Hario MSS-1B Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 11:55am

I own the Behmor Brazen. Got it in early June and so far it's been fantastic. I love having total control over the temperature and pre-soak time. If you've done pour-over at all, you know how crucial these variables are in the final brew.  While I've read a number of reports of short potting, I haven't had any problems so far. So, definitely keep the Brazen in mind. There's really nothing on the market comparable to it at this point.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 5:20pm

Angman Said:

Thank you in advance

I can speak directly to your question about using a Breville Smartgrinder with a Technivorm Moccamaster KBT741 (adjustable basket and stainless carafe) as I have both.  Together they work excellent and I have never had a single issue using the grinder for drip (it can jam a bit if grinding light roasted beans for espresso).  The Technivorm has performed flawlessly, never any issues.  I make a full pot every day.  The TV has the Frieling 23 carat gold filter with it as I feel it adds a bit of french press body to my brew which I enjoy.  The extra sediment is easy to deal with and has never been an issue with me.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Angman
Angman

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 6:17pm

Thank you all for the comments. I'll use the smart grinder strictly for the drop and my others for espresso only. I'll consider the Brazen first and the TV as a second choice considering the big price difference.
PandaMatic

Grinder: Hario MSS-1B Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 1:00pm

Angman Said:

I went by Seattle Coffee Gear today and wasnt overly impressed by the TV. They are nice but not sure if they are $350+ nice. They had a Brazen on demo but non for sale.

This is a slight tangent, but that's so cool that you live close enough to be able to visit Seattle Coffee Gear in person. I ordered my Brazen online from SCG and it was a seamless experience.

The only place that demos coffee gear in my area that I'm aware of is Williams-Sonoma, who only had a TV on display, which wasn't really that helpful in my case because my decision was between the TV KBG-741, Bonavita BV1800 and Behmor Brazen.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Quick advice...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315542936325)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+