Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 103 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 10:24pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

PandaMatic Said:

Did you contact Behmor customer service to get this new carafe? Did they replace it under warranty?

Posted September 5, 2013 link

Neither. I believe that Joe put me on the list, but when I would just have to guess. My thoughts are that it was based on our conversation at the SCAA exhibition or possibly from my review. I did know Joe was working on a redesign and saw a prototype model he had created.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 7:34pm

A new spout sounds awesome
 View Profile Link to this post
imsnowbear
imsnowbear
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Several, including Sunbeam...
Drip: Technivorm, Melitta Clarity,...
Roaster: SC/GG/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 4:21am

frcn Said:

Neither. I believe that Joe put me on the list, but when I would just have to guess. My thoughts are that it was based on our conversation at the SCAA exhibition or possibly from my review. I did know Joe was working on a redesign and saw a prototype model he had created.

Posted September 5, 2013 link

You must have a beta version of the new carafe. I contacted Behmor about the availability of a new carafe and was told that a new version/retrofit was "getting close" and that I would be notified when it was ready. I will post here when I hear more.

As always, customer service from Behmor was outstanding.
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 6:35am

That is how their email reads as well that I received (without quoting it). I believe they will use the list of registered owners from their warranty database to email everyone eligible to let them know.....once the shipment of retrofit spots arrives. Great customer service indeed (although I would love a second carafe instead so I can use both and have one as a backup :)
PandaMatic

Grinder: Hario MSS-1B Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 3:58pm

What grind and water-to-grounds ratio has everyone been using in their Brazen?

I've been using between 19-22 on my Baratza Virtuoso 586 with 38 grams for 600mL of water using a Melitta brown #4 filter. I have been getting a brew that is decent, but lacks a bit of body and vacillates between just a bit sour or just a bit bitter.
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 4:14pm

PandaMatic Said:

What grind and water-to-grounds ratio has everyone been using in their Brazen?

I've been using between 19-22 on my Baratza Virtuoso 586 with 38 grams for 600mL of water using a Melitta brown #4 filter. I have been getting a brew that is decent, but lacks a bit of body and vacillates between just a bit sour or just a bit bitter.

Posted September 15, 2013 link

I have a Baratza Mestro Plus and have gone down to about 12 on the grind and use the 55gm/L ratio (so 33g for 600ml using Costco filters). That gives me more body and the right grind. The grind should be similar to the consistency of Kosher salt (a bit courser)
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 9:59am

My brazen wet out after 1 yr. of service; r/o water (glacier vending) and suggested cleaning was done. The valve is still releasing 1/2 reservor after several attempts. I'm not fooling with it any more, it's going up on the bay "for parts and repair". Good thing I have a Chemex in the closet.
imsnowbear
imsnowbear

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 10:37am

hankua Said:

My brazen wet out after 1 yr. of service; r/o water (glacier vending) and suggested cleaning was done. The valve is still releasing 1/2 reservor after several attempts. I'm not fooling with it any more, it's going up on the bay "for parts and repair". Good thing I have a Chemex in the closet.

Posted September 17, 2013 link

Did you try the spray-over-the-sink procedure, or probe the opening to dislodge debris?

It looks like you have an early version. You should contact Behmor with your experience. It's possible that they would be willing to do something for you. They seem like good folks and might recognize that the early production runs had problems. Clearly, if you've been using filtered water it's probably not a user caused issue but rather a production/parts defect. You've got nothing to lose with a simple email to them.

Post back with your results if you go this route.
imsnowbear
imsnowbear

Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 6:42pm

I came across this comment in response to a negative review of the Brazen on the Amazon site:

<quote>
Tahoejoe says:
Firstly we apologize for the issue you encountered and it isn't the carafe but rather an anomoly in some (less than 3% based on units replaced/ extrapolated) of the carafe spouts, an email to tech support will handle an exchange as we revised tooling to address this.

Further on this, the carafe design was that of another manfacturer who had sold and produced over 300,000 units but it was of my chosing we went with it so once we were aware of the issue set about doing a design of our own and that has been completed.

As to scaling we do advise customers, as does every coffee maker manufacturer water and it's mineral content is something only the user can control and that it effects every brewer/ vessel that heats water. As such we strongly recommend using filtered water and more specifically RO.

As stated-

Water quality plays a significant role in producing a great cup of coffee and in maintaining the equipment's functionality. You'll find the BraZen , like all precision brewers, runs at top efficiency when your brewing with quality water, and your cup of coffee is exponentially greater as well.

It is imperative for optimum performance to always use purified water.

Beside tainting the taste of your coffee the negative effects due to mineral build up from hard water can lead to equipment failure.

Attached is link that shows sediment caused from poor quality water in the Brazen and other brewers to include "gold cup" copper boilers. http://www.behmor.com/images/combo_of_sediment.jpg
<end quote>

It appears that a the design of a new carafe have been finished. I'm not sure when it will become available. Behmor assured me that I would be notified.
I hope it's soon. My carafe has become seriously and annoyingly incontinent. It's impossible to pour a cup without wearing rubber boots. Judging by the number of comments in various reviews about this issue, I'd say Joe's assertion that less than 3 percent were affected is inaccurate.

In addition, a disturbing new quirk has developed. When attempting to brew back to back pots, when I pour water into the reservoir for the second pot it immediately begins flowing. The means 2 or 3 ounces of cold water hit the grinds as soon as water is poured into the reservoir. It seems to stop after a couple of ounces, but no amount of button pushing on/off cycling will halt the unwanted water flow. I assume all this means that the solenoid and or valve is going to fail.

In addition, intermittent short potting issues have returned. So far blasting it with a sink spray seems to dislodge whatever debris is interfering with proper function. I know it isn't scaling since we are using commercially softened water exclusively in the thing now.

I've been a big fan of the product and the brew it produces, but the continuing problems are most discouraging.
PandaMatic

Grinder: Hario MSS-1B Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 12:01pm

We finally have a Behmor-certified solution for the Brazen's drippy carafe!!

tahoejoe made an appearance over at HB. See the following link for details: Click Here (www.home-barista.com) There are instructions detailing how to get the carafe retrofit kit.

Hopefully we'll be seeing tahoejoe return to this forum as well. Even though I was not a member at the time, his input was invaluable earlier in this thread, and it would be great to see that dedication to customers continue.
showing page 103 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.33446097374)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+