Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Any tips on the Behmor Brazen brew?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Any tips on the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
shnxx
shnxx
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 5:18pm
Subject: Any tips on the Behmor Brazen brew?

I have a Behmor Brazen which I have used sparingly as the coffee I'm getting doesn't taste all that great to me.

I usually tire of the flavor after one brew. For instance, I like the Ethiopian sometimes so I got those beans but I grew tired of it after one brew but I still had a lot of beans left.

Anyway what kind of settings do you guys recommend to get a good brew from the Behmor Brazen?
What kind of beans? How coarse of a grind?
Filter paper or no filter paper?
Soak settings? Temperature?
Have you guys replaced the carafe?
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 7:17pm
Subject: Re: Any tips on the Behmor Brazen brew?

I am currently using Sumatra Mandheling, roasted to FC+ and used within 3 weeks of roasting.

I have my Baratza Maestro Plus set at 24 (a bit coarser than kosher salt) and I grind 65 grams for 1.2 litres of water just before brewing.

I use the gold (not paper) filter.

I have the pre-soak set at 1:30 min.

My brew temperature is set at 204F.

I get an awesome pot of coffee every time.  

I have experienced NONE of the problems revealed in this news forum.  I have moderately hard water but have had no failure to drain completely.  I have never done a citric-acid (or any other kind of) clean.  My valve has not failed.  My urn does not leak.  I don't even get it to dribble, but my family have 'dribble' problems so I am getting the 'dribble' repair kit for the urn spout.  

I regularly cross-check the 'quality' of the brew by doing a mug on my Aeropress, grind set at (say 12), water at 180F, steep-time around 1 minute.  That mug is less intense and missing some of the aroma but is substantially the same.  However, the BraZen produces, for me, absolutely, the Gold Standard pot of coffee.

BraZen is going through 'New Product Growing Pains'.  However, I am a Coffee Geek, dedicated to experimentation, the pursuit of excellence, and I admire that Joe Behm is sincere in his intentions to promote quality and support his new machine through this troublesome period.  

May I offer a word of advice?  It is possible to roast too dark, to grind too fine, to brew too hot, and thereby produce coffee that is simply too intense, to the point of being unpleasant.  The BraZen is VERY adjustable.  Visit your local coffee-bar and compare the strength of what they serve to what you brew.  Then, if necessary, re-adjust.  I do this regularly to re-tune my taste-buds.

Jerry
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 8:06pm

Jerry's fine posting shows just how flexible the BraZen is. It's no sweat customizing brewing parameters to suit one's taste preference.

So, to the point. I brew only single origins in the BraZen. IMO, it is the closet thing to creating the taste profile of a perfect "pour-over" brew, such as a Kalita filter, Hario V60, etc.
Thus, I tend to skew my settings towards the same sort of profiling. A shorter pre-soak of 40 seconds to allow for blooming. Depending on the varietal, My brew temperature is set at 202f (around 94c). As I am 750 ft above sea level, I've performed the calibration procedure. Unless you're at 0 altitude, I highly recommend doing this calibration.

My grind is about same as my Kalita grind, slightly finer than kosher salt. Thus, with a finer grind than Jerry's, my preference is 55 grams for 1.2 liters.
I actually prefer my brew with a paper filter. Perhaps it's the reduction of oils that give me a cleaner cup.Interestingly, I have no issues with straight espresso, perhaps due to it's much shorter extraction time and oil emulsification.

So you see, Jerry and I get wonderful whilst using significantly different parameters.
In a way, the BraZen is like a well designed espresso machine, where certain parameters such as temperature, pressure, and pre-infusion can be controlled to some extent.

One universal coffee truth states it is WHAT you grind that will most determine your enjoyment. Excellent water quality doesn't hurt!
For me,  Sumatra is a rather flat taste. I tend to go with Ethiopians, and bright and lively Central American coffees.
For Jerry, that robust, earthy flavor of a quality Sumatran coffee is the ticket. Different strokes, as they used to say. :>D

Slightly OT, are you sourcing freshly roasted coffee from an experienced coffee roaster?
As old coffee without a "roasted on" date usually results in predictably bad coffee in the cup.
The one question you left out was that of the coffee itself, so I thought I'd ask.

Edited for clarity

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Mfoster

Espresso: cheapo
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Brazen
Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 5:12am

I have subscriptions from Counter Culture Coffee, both Farmhouse and Single source. The coffee comes to my door in alternate weeks within 2 days of roasting. I usually go through a bag a week.
Great coffee !

I typically grind 62-66g for a 1.2L pot at around the middle of the perk range on the Breville Smart Grinder.
I prefer a temp of 198, with a 2:15 pre-soak using the gold filter supplied with the brewer.

If I happen to pick up a darker roast, like Starbucks, Kaulai Koloa, or (I'm in stl) Kaladi- I'll drop to 58-60g. Same temp and pre-soak.

No issues with the brewer. I don't filter my water. My water hardness score is 229. I did find the dribble annoying and got the replacement lid kit- now the brewer works to perfection.

It's nice to see how others vary their temp preferences. I prefer my coffee on the cool side, and even let it rest a bit after pouring before drinking it. For me, brewing at over 200 takes away the smooth-ish quality of the brew.

To each their own - This is the only brewer that allows you to tweet the variables, and you get YOUR perfect cup, every time.....
RandomTask

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 6:02am

I roast my own coffee and I'm currently working on some Tanzanian Peaberry taken to FC. I personally perfer SO to blends, I find it more interesting picking out the unique notes.

For my grinder I have a Barazza Encore, grinding at 18 iirc, ends a bit finer then kosher salt.  I tend to stick around 50-55g per 1.2L pot. My wife complains I make my coffee too strong, so that's the "comprimise" weight I've reached. Using the gold basket that came with the machine, I brew at 201F with a 1:15 presoak. It gets me a consistantly damn fine cup of coffee. I've also calibrated it, so I know that it's getting to the appropriate temp (al also verified it once with a digital probe, it was spot on).

I've had no issues with my Brazen personally. I have used it every day for 8 months and have done a Acetic Acid clean once. I don't have an issue with the carafe personally, but it seems everyone else in my family does, so I've also requested a replacement spout on the urn.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 6:39am

Mfoster Said:

I have subscriptions from Counter Culture Coffee, both Farmhouse and Single source. The coffee comes to my door in alternate weeks within 2 days of roasting. I usually go through a bag a week.
Great coffee !

I typically grind 62-66g for a 1.2L pot at around the middle of the perk range on the Breville Smart Grinder.
I prefer a temp of 198, with a 2:15 pre-soak using the gold filter supplied with the brewer.

If I happen to pick up a darker roast, like Starbucks, Kaulai Koloa, or (I'm in stl) Kaladi- I'll drop to 58-60g. Same temp and pre-soak.

No issues with the brewer. I don't filter my water. My water hardness score is 229. I did find the dribble annoying and got the replacement lid kit- now the brewer works to perfection.

It's nice to see how others vary their temp preferences. I prefer my coffee on the cool side, and even let it rest a bit after pouring before drinking it. For me, brewing at over 200 takes away the smooth-ish quality of the brew.

To each their own - This is the only brewer that allows you to tweet the variables, and you get YOUR perfect cup, every time.....

Posted October 10, 2013 link

IMO, 229ppm is too high to put in the BraZen, or ANY machine for that matter. To prevent scaling, which could be a problem down the road, why not at least Get a Brita, which reduces that # to about 85? Or mix some distilled water with your water. I believe you might also improved the taste of your brew.
Just a thought. :>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Mfoster

Espresso: cheapo
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Brazen
Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 7:29am

229 is the TDS score that I get from ZeroWater.com . I like the taste of the water and it's not minerally. So these scores I take with a " grain of salt ". I haven't tested my home water and I personally don't trust the online scores.
I do get scaling in the reservoir, and when I get a good layer going I descale with descal or BrewRite.

I really like the flavor of the coffee - and I agree that I would probably get a better brew with filtered water. However, why try to fix what's already working ?

Thanks for your input !
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 8:52am

Mark, the "fix" would be more preventative to avoid a fatal amount of scaling in places that might be critical to operation.
FWIW, Joe actually recommends RO, but for some, no mineral water produces a flat brew.
FWIW, I have no residue in the hot water chamber using Brita. YMMV

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
shnxx
shnxx

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 9:51pm

Thank you all so much for the replies.
I just upgraded my espresso grinder to a K10 Pro Barista model so it is now time to look for a new grinder for Behmor.

So far I've been using the Bezzera BB003 for the Behmor too but obviously it is not ideal.
What's a good small grinder for drip?
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 11:57am

One of the greatest things about coffee is you can make/ brew it to your own personal preferneces.

Scientifically speaking ideally coffee is extracted at 20% and has solids (strength) in the range of 1.20-1.50% with 1.25% shown as being center target.

We know from tests with the Brazen that 5 blends tested were found to be in the ideal range a high of 200 set point and 195 low.

The thing is according to a NASA approved test lab who we had perform a series of tests we know the set point to grounds experiences a 1.8-2 degree F drop. Thus a 200 set point equates to 198 on grounds and 195 at 193 on grounds. Keep in mind the standard says ideally water should be 195-205 yet we know with certainty using high end test equipment one blend extracted ideally at a 195 setting thus 193 to grounds which is outside the oft quoted ideal water temp

Point is there is science then there is personal taste. There also was never before a consumer brewer where water temps could be dropped onto grounds with such accuracy.

For me personally I only do single origin and roast my own coffee almost always to City++ to FC max. For African coffees (fruity, bright etc.) I do 198-200 max whereas Centrals and S. American I set at 202-205. Sorry never touch SE Asian coffees not my thing but would see they fall in the same family as the latter group, being centrals etc.

Grind wise I tested the heck out of grind sizes (I was gifted a Bunn commercial LPG series) and my goal was finer than coarse but not too fine that would allow grounds to ride up the basket and stay. I found a grind equal to what would be coarse pepper worked great for me with a paper filter. It rose nicely during prewet yet collapsed as desired when the next rounds of water hit for even/ thorough extraction.

Paper v gold filter- is all what your looking for in mouth feel

My point in all this is it comes down to what works for you but hope the above will guide you.

Best
Joe behm

ps.. hope this made sense. I'm in Asia at it was close to 4am here when written.. so no coffee etc..

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Any tips on the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.288596868515)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+