Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Fly sparge, anyone? v60 pour-over question
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Fly sparge,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
shlegminitism

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mills Andreja
Grinder: baratza v. preciso, Pasquini...
Vac Pot: Electrolux
Drip: v60
Roaster: soon i hope
Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 7:55pm
Subject: Fly sparge, anyone? v60 pour-over question

I recently became indoctrinated to the world of pour-over with a v60 (upgraded from a melitta pour over), and i cant help but notice that the process of extracting the coffee with this is similar in theory to one of the ways that sugars are extracted from wort (sugary barley mash liquid) during the process of making beer. This technique is called fly sparging.  After steeping the grains in the mash tun for however long the recipe requires for the carbs to be converted to sugars, the spigot at the bottom of the mash tun is opened, letting the sugar-rich liquid flow into another container while more fresh, hot water is  introduced at the top. The goal is even coverage and keeping the level of water just above the grain bed.  Gravity and water do all the work.  DIY'ers have come up with different ways to introduce the water, (here's one build) . The collected sugary water (wort) is then boiled down to achieve desired volume and cooked with hops, cooled, oxygenated, and then yeast is added, leading to another forums beverage.  I'm wondering if with the v60, even though i have recently bought a hario kettle that has helped even out my pour a lot, the force of the water on the grounds might still be moving them around enough to potentially over-extract them.  Anyone tried any other pouring methods?  I have in my head the image of myself standing over my v60 holding a watering can and wearing a sun hat.  Are my concerns with over-extraction unfounded?  I just want to get the best out of each cup. Thanks
Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
Kendrian

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Hario Woodneck, Aeropress +...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 2:01am
Subject: Re: Fly sparge, anyone? v60 pour-over question

I use a Hario Woodneck for my pourovers instead of a V60, but overextraction does seem to be the most common defect I find in my brews. I've countered it by grinding a notch or two coarser and cutting brew time back to about 2-2.5 minutes. It HAS occurred to me to try some technique to disperse the water more evenly than possible with even the most controlled pour. The best idea I've seen was using the Aeropress bottom piece to disperse the water- so basically a glorified watering can. Perhaps I'll give that a shot this weekend.

Sean
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Fly sparge,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.207530021667)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+