Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Grinder purchase decision
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grinder purchase...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
fzman1956

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 2:50pm
Subject: Grinder purchase decision

Hello All.  I am starting to get tired of having to shake my Kitchenaid grinder with both hands to get all of the beans to drop thru for my morning coffee.  I roast my own beans fullcity(+), brew in a technivorm (daily) and occasionally French press or vietnamese brewer or aeropress, and am trying to decide whether it will be worthwhile to by either  Breville BCG800XL or  oneof the two entry level Baratza grinders either Encore or Virtuoso.

I weigh my beans before grinding, and want value, performance, and reliability.  All of thee grinders get both good and bad press, so I was wondering if anyone has used at least two of the three for enough time to make informed comparative comments.  

I do not do espresso except very occasionally and I have a Delonghi superautomatic for that - I know it's gauche, but I like it.

Keep those cards and letters coming!

Thanks for reading this.
 View Profile Link to this post
dustinclark

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: nuova simonelli aurelia
Grinder: mazzer
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 8:12am
Subject: Re: Grinder purchase decision

everything i can tell from the encore makes me think it's perfect for home use, especially for the price. if you can afford it, the virtuoso would be a better buy but i wouldn't say it's necessary for your methods. the encore would be a definite upgrade from your kitchenaid.
fzman1956

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 9:05am

thanks for the reply.  do you own the encore, or are you basing this on reviews and my preferred brewing methods only?  I weigh my beans prior to grinding 7gm per 'cup'  so i don;t need fancy display panels (Breville has one, but it is not necessarily a plus for me, however cool it is).  For me it is a question of performance and reliability.  The Baratza's have a fair number of negative reviews regarding DOA, or short-term failures, which is not awe-inspiring for me as a prospective customer.  that's why I posted to see the real story from actual users of these grinders.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 11:35am

I have 4 Baratza grinders in the family.  I have a Maestro Plus.  My (older) children have an older Maestro, a Precisio and an Encore.  

All work well.  The Precisio is used for espresso;  the rest are for regular coffee.

They are very reliable except for one situation.  If you get a small pebble among the beans you can stall the grinder and sometimes strip the gears.  (That might be true for other brands as well.)  I had that happen once, in 3 years.  

Baratza has excellent service.  They will tell you (by phone or email) what your problem might be and recommend an appropriate parts kit.  The parts are not expensive.  In the case of my 'pebble' I had to replace a stripped gear and a counter-shaft.  The parts cost $11.00 + S&H.

The grinder is built such that most repairs can be done at home with simple tools.  That saves you the cost of an expensive repair and shipping 2 ways.  Baratza has a library of illustrated step-by-step instructions to help you along.  

For normal maintenance, you can field-strip a grinder and clean it up in about 15 minutes without any tools.  

While I am quite happy with my Maestro Plus, I am considering upgrading to a Virtuoso.  I understand it grinds faster and quieter.

Jerry
RandomTask

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 2:03pm

I do actually own an Encore and have had no issues personally. It's not as quiet as I would have liked (but far quieter then my old Kitchenaid one, that thing was crazy loud), but it still gives a consisten grind with a small amount of fines. It really feels to be more suited to drip coffee, it's got a far more even grind than when it's on either end of the spectrum. For speed, it grinds about 50g of coffee in around 15 seconds. I've never timed it but it doesn't feel like I'm waiting for it. The few times I've actually weighed the grounds found less than a gram lost, so it's good in that regard as well.  

I haven't had any experience with the others on your list so I can't comment.
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 3:39pm

What bad press does Virtuoso have? I have it and am pleased and use it for similar methods minus the machine. Crushes the Encore which I also have.
fzman1956

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 3:53pm

just looking online at places that collect consumer reviews from purchasers, the bulk are positive, but there are a number that report DOA, or failures not long after receiving them.....  stuff like that - i don;t remember which specific sites, but things  like amazon, etc.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grinder purchase...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.231966972351)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+