Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Melitta Pour Over Cone vs. Hario V60
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Melitta Pour...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
IntrepidQ3

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Syphon
Roaster: Hottop+TC4C
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 6:37pm
Subject: Melitta Pour Over Cone vs. Hario V60

I was just recently introduced to the pour over method at a local coffee shop a couple weeks ago. I really enjoyed how it emphases the acidity of the Ethiopian Yirgaceffee they roast. Not sure if it is the method that emphasizes this or if they are using a different ratio then I am using with my French Press. Either way I really enjoyed this method and have been looking more into the pour over method. I want to get a good feel between the two before I purchase one.

I found that a lot of people advocate the V60. The shop I go to uses the Melitta #2 Pour Over Cone.

Besides for the obvious design style difference, do they differ in the taste they can offer? Is there a forgiveness factor in being able to brew a good cup with either of these? I have read that the V60 has a steep learning curve...

I would love to hear any input, advice, or personal experiences.

Thank you in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 5:07am
Subject: Re: Melitta Pour Over Cone vs. Hario V60

No difference.. Pour-over is a METHOD. Not a specific device.  So what your pour over cone looks like is insignificant.   The more effective factors are grind to water ratio, grind quality, followed by brew temp, water distribution, then filter medium.  

As a newbie to pour over, you'll be hard pressed to find any differences between any pour over cone, be it Melitta #2, Kalita Wave, Hario V60, Chemex, B-House, etc, etc.
A $3 Melitta Perfect Brew pour over cone will produce identical coffee as a Chemex 3-cup.     The Chemex is nice that it is also a pretty coffee pitcher and it's glass.  

Disclaimer: I speak only for myself as an avid coffee lover.  I have all of the items above (can't help it I'm a geek) and can honestly say they all produce identical coffee using exactly the same pour-over methodology.  Yes even between cone and flat bottom filters. As long as I use the same doses, water volume, temp, timings, and filter medium they are identical.

Choose the one that you enjoy looking at that inspires you to create your own pour-over hokey pokey.
IntrepidQ3

Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 7:00am

Thank you. That makes sense. I was just wondering because the V60 seem to have ridges that swirl downward on the inside of the cone. Was not sure if this provided some advantage in anyway.

I have looked into the Chemex, but I am trying to keep it small for the sake of storage.
tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 7:08am

Some pour over methods do produce different results. For example, the V60 has the thinnest filter, so your resulting brew will have more coffee oils than the Chemex, which has the thickest filters. The ridges on the V60 hold the filter off the side of the cone for a more efficient brew. Because of this, though, the V60 can be pretty finnicky and requires more skill and attention to get an ideal brew. I tend to use the V60 with Central American coffee. My go to pour over is the Kalita Wave. It's the only flat-bottomed pour over device and allows for a very even extraction (and it's one of the most forgiving). I use it for my South American and African coffees.
al_bongo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 11:16am

My experience is that the coffee is not identical for mostly practical reasons. The method is the same and they are all similar in flavour.

Some cones have big holes, some have small holes, some have more than one small hole. They use different filter papers.

It's difficult to replicate a brew on the Hario V60 and the Melitta. The water floods through the Hario which necessitates a finer grind and or slower pour to achieve a decent brew time/extraction. The Melitta on the other hand requires a slightly coarser grind to allow for the slower flow through the single hole. To touch on the Chemex, the filter papers are thicker and slow the flow of water which necessitates a coarser grind.

The long and the short of it is you SHOULD be able to get pretty much similar coffees but realistically they are different.

I rate ease of use/repeatability which pretty much rules out the V60 for me. Too variable and too finicky.

My fav is also the Kalita Wave, basically mimics a flat bottomed commercial brewer. Great coffee every time. Second choice would be the Melitta or porcelain equivalent.
IntrepidQ3

Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 5:33pm

Thanks for your replies.

It seems I can take away three things.

1) I can forget the V60 for now. Sounds like it is kinda touchy.
2) I will never drink the same cup of coffee twice no matter how hard I try. At best I will just get close.
3) I should check out the Kalita Wave

I have one last question for now. Are there any negatives for the Melitta Pour Over?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Melitta Pour...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.227606773376)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+