Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Machine Recomendation -- best trade off between ease of use and decent coffee
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 8:40am
Subject: Re: Machine Recomendation

zelbinion Said:

A machine that had a grinder built-in might be nice, too, but I'm not sure if there is such a thing that is both decent and doesn't cost a thousand dollars.  We have limited counter space in our kitchen, so a full-size hopper-style grinder plus a carafe-type coffee machine starts to feel like overkill for brewing a single travel mug in the morning.
!

Posted November 22, 2013 link

Breville Youbrew, neighbor has one, awesome and great coffee. I'd sway more towards a Techno, or a Bonavita and seperate grinder.... but the Youbrew kicks ass for an all in one and it can brew single style, actually a few owners on this board. Grinders like the Baratzas etc are small and compact foot space, and she needs a major grinder upgrade or she'll be unhappy with any coffee she makes, blade grinders are horrible for coffee. Encore is only like $130.

What about an Aeropress since she makes coffee 1 cup at a time? It's only around 20-30 bucks and makes exceptional coffee with a good grinder.
 View Profile Link to this post
kschendel

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 9:37am

I forgot about the Breville Youbrew, which was stupid of me because my daughter owns one.  It's a nice machine and makes good coffee, assuming that you put good beans into it.  Definitely worth investigating.

Breville used to mean (to me) "overpriced shiny crap" but either I was misled, or they have made a serious effort to produce good equipment in the last couple years.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 10:26am

kschendel Said:

I forgot about the Breville Youbrew, which was stupid of me because my daughter owns one.  It's a nice machine and makes good coffee, assuming that you put good beans into it.  Definitely worth investigating.

Breville used to mean (to me) "overpriced shiny crap" but either I was misled, or they have made a serious effort to produce good equipment in the last couple years.

Posted November 23, 2013 link

3 things of theirs that stick out that IMO shows they made nice advances, the BDB, the Youbrew, and the Smart Grinder which though not good for espresso is an excellent coarse grinder and nifty features. Their other coffee products don't care for, but those 3 are good imo.

Youbrew is loud as heck lol, but its super convenient and makes awesome coffee eith fresh beans.....leagues above a Nespresso orother pod type machine. I honestly couldn't really taste a big
difference between it and the Techovorm with same beans, little edge to the techo though.

I'd still do a Bonavita though and seperate grinder like the Encore, but thats just me. Someone that doesn't have good counter space can't go wrong with the Youbrew, and it can do single serving and not just a normal pot. It is fairly tall though and may not fit under some cabinets. Sure is nice with the timer so when you get up its already ground and brewed.
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 3:34am
Subject: Pour over is easy, consistent, fast and cheap.

Get Melitta Ready Set Joe:

10 seconds to fill and start the kettle (10 seconds)
10 seconds to grab a mug and the melitta plastic cone dripper(10 seconds)
10 seconds to take a Melitta #2 filter out of the box,  and put it in the plastic dripper and place it on the cup (10 seconds).

... Before the water finishes boiling, grind the coffee and put it in the filter.

2 minutes later. Water should boiled...then...

15 seconds to wet the coffee in the filter and let it bloom.
15 seconds to pour the rest of hot water into the dripper
15 seconds for the brewing to complete.
15 seconds to toss out the filter & grinds, rinse and dry the plastic cone dripper and put it away.

Total time: 3 min 30 seconds.

Cost of a Melitta pour over cone driper: 2.99

Consistent. Easy. Fast. Cheap.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 7:50am
Subject: Re: Pour over is easy, consistent, fast and cheap.

Aeropress.
It will work with the blade chopper.
All you need do is put water in something to get it hot. Microwave, electric kettle, pan on stove, whatever.
Grind one scoop of FRESH coffee beans in whatever device you have (a good burr grinder is best but a hammer and a board will work, the Aeropress ia VERY forgiving to grind) and place in Aeropress.
Put filter disc on cap of Aeropress.  (I use the inverted method the above steps are wrong for "normal" brewing.
Pour near boiling to 180F water over beans in Aeropress, stirr.
Place cap on tube, invert and press into cup (mug)
Take the rest of the hot water and dilute to taste.
Take cap off Aeropress and pop grounds into trash, rinse or wipe the press clean and put away.
Done, drink coffee. It took longer to type it out than to do in real time.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256507873535)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+