Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
What coffee machine would work best for a semi truck?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > What coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pg89

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 8:06am
Subject: What coffee machine would work best for a semi truck?

I have just started a new career as a truck driver, driving over the road all over America (I've just moved here from the UK). I am a bit of a coffee geek, and so far, I have found the coffee at truck stops/gas stations to be weak, unexciting, with a cardboard taste and aroma. I am looking for a coffee machine that would be suitable to use in a truck, power is no problem as I will have an inverter, but something small, simple and good quality that will produce good coffee is what I'm looking for.

I recently bought a cheap black & decker 5 cup machine for $17, but it gives off an awful toxic burnt plastic smell that you can taste in the coffee, so I've given up on that. This has put me off going for a filter drip machine, unless there was a guarantee there would be no plastic smell with it.  

Do any of you have any suggestions? Also, what brands/sources of coffee are good in the US? I bought some French ground coffee from trader joe's, but I can't tell if its any good because all I can taste is plastic!
 View Profile Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 2:51am
Subject: Re: What coffee machine would work best for a semi truck?

pg89 Said:

I have just started a new career as a truck driver, driving over the road all over America (I've just moved here from the UK). I am a bit of a coffee geek, and so far, I have found the coffee at truck stops/gas stations to be weak, unexciting, with a cardboard taste and aroma. I am looking for a coffee machine that would be suitable to use in a truck, power is no problem as I will have an inverter, but something small, simple and good quality that will produce good coffee is what I'm looking for.

I recently bought a cheap black & decker 5 cup machine for $17, but it gives off an awful toxic burnt plastic smell that you can taste in the coffee, so I've given up on that. This has put me off going for a filter drip machine, unless there was a guarantee there would be no plastic smell with it.  

Do any of you have any suggestions? Also, what brands/sources of coffee are good in the US? I bought some French ground coffee from trader joe's, but I can't tell if its any good because all I can taste is plastic!

Posted November 23, 2013 link

I have 2 suggestions, first is Nespresso, if you don't mind drinking Cafe Americanos (espresso with hot water).   The machines are relatively cheap and the water is contained nicely with and it brews instantly.. It does draw quite a bit of current during extraction so I don't know how many amps your inverter can handle, but the Nespresso machines are 1200 watts.

If you think a pod coffees are too expensive, my second suggestion is getting yourself a simple pour over drip cone and a small kettle.   It takes about 3 minutes to make a superb cup of coffee from cold water to brew-in-cup and everything cleaned up..  The drip cone is nominally cheap ($5). A pack of 50 filters is another 5 bucks or so.  Grind your own coffee with a hario grinder while you wait for the water to boil in 2 minutes.   You will have hot, FRESH ground and brewed coffee with every cup. What's better than that? :)
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 6:05am

Keurig Mini.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 3:18pm

A Clever Dripper might be easiest all around, including cleanup.  Weebit_nutty's pour over suggestion easy as well but I think you can get 100 ct box of #4 or #2 filters for that price.  Bonavita makes a nice stainless travel kettle for heating your water, handy.  Then all you need is a grinder and some good beans of your choice.

IF considering Clever Dripper be sure to check measurements of the opening of what you'll be brewing into---the Dripper comes on 2 sizes, they give size range in specs.

Good luck!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 6:30am

To continue the theme of low priced, forgiving brew methods. An electric kettle and an Aeropress works well. It has become my favorite way to brew when an espresso machine is not available. It is quick to setup, the longest thing about the process is waiting for 16 oz of water to heat up. A grinder and fresh beans are mandatory too don't forget.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 6:56am

For price, quality, simplicity, portability and durability since it's all gonna be in a truck I'd get yourself a pourover setup.

Bonavita Kettle
Hario Plastic Dripper
Hario Skerton
Filters

If you don't want a manual grinder get a Brartza Encore.

The Skerton is great and has enough capacity for grinding for a few drinks.  I'd stay away from anything that stands up and can fall of you hit the brakes on the road.  A drip setup can be stored somewhere easily. A drip setup like this will give you awesome tasting coffee!  All of it won;t cost more than $110 unless you get the Encore over the Skerton.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
RichardCoffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum,...
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 7:12am

I think the Impress coffee brewer is terrific. Then you need a grinder and buy some good fresh roasted coffees from one of the on-line roasters. Metropolis, Paradise, Klatch, etc. it'll make your driving a lot more fun. Oh, and don't forget to stay on the right side of the road.

Bean2friends
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 7:27am

RichardCoffee Said:

I think the Impress coffee brewer is terrific.

Posted November 26, 2013 link

Very cool!  I wanna try one of these.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
VernS

Espresso: (strength) AeroPress
Grinder: Bodum Bistro, GSI camping
Vac Pot: Espro, Bodum, camping...
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 1:58pm

During the Kickstarter introduction I was considering the Impress as well, but the cost ,landed in Canada, was way too much. I bought the GSI Commuter Java Press for less than a third of the cost.

It appears that the Impress design was copied from the GSI Commuter Java Press since it was being sold for some time before the Impress Kickstarter introduction. The stainless steel of the Impress is nice, but the food grade, BPA free plastic of the GSI seems similar in quality to the Aeropress.

I just received my GSI press and was blown away by the first cup. By comparison the second cup was a disappointment. It's going to take some time to learn how to get the best out of it more consistently.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > What coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291973114014)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+