Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
New here- need a quick-lazy way to make 32oz coffee to go every morning...
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New here- need a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
zimm

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 7:23am
Subject: New here- need a quick-lazy way to make 32oz coffee to go every morning...

I found this awesome site, but unfortunately, I'm not so much a coffee geek, but more like a total hack.  I drink about a quart of coffee every day, straight up.  Here's my problem- I'm getting tired of my K-cups-in-a-travel mug.  I have a B-160 semi-commercial brewer and it's so easy to use, my Cuisinart drip machine is collecting dust.

I know I need to do better, but I don't have much time or effort to devote to making coffee in the morning rush getting the kids ready for school, etc.  I need to be able to brew and go.

So.... without going full on, what can I do to improve my coffee?  What's the best method/machine to get me my 2 16oz travel mugs full of decent coffee?  I drink one with breakfast and while running the kids to school.  The second thermal mug goes with me to work and carries me through lunch.

When I do use my drip machine, I have a crappy kitchen aid blade grinder.  I know I need a burr.  I read I need fresh beans.  I use brown paper cone filters.

Since I set the bar down low with k-cups, it's got to be easy to raise it up quite a bit without a lot of effort.

I'd love to hear some ideas and suggestions.  I wish there was a wonder machine that I dump beans and water into and it makes good coffee with minimal fuss.  I had an auto brew'n go type machine a few years ago and it died pretty quick.
 View Profile Link to this post
adie
adie

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:55am
Subject: Re: New here- need a quick-lazy way to make 32oz coffee to go every morning...

beans and grinder will help immensely and there are many suggestions on here of good grinders- and since you're making coffee and not espresso, it should be easier to find an appropriate grinder in a decent price range that will do the job.

I find that freshly ground beans just taste so much better! And a burr grinder is worth it- blade grinders tend to heat up the beans, chop the beans un-evenly and that can(will) affect taste. For drip/brew type coffee I really dont think you need a very expensive grinder- when finding one to work and grind espresso, I had to jump up and get one that was fairly costly just to have one that did the job-

As for brew methods- I be there are some great coffee pots listed in the reviews section of the forums- or perhaps you could even do a pour over method into your travel mugs/thermos? I'll let the experts direct you. But kudos to you for wanting better coffee! One thing I know about coffee pots is that a lot of them don't get to the ideal temperature- seems I've read that there are some Capresso machines that do a good job- but it's been a long time since I researched coffee pots!

Good luck to you!
wabbitt
wabbitt

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 1:28pm
Subject: Re: New here- need a quick-lazy way to make 32oz coffee to go every morning...

For the very fastest, daily, just add hot water and go, it's COLD BREW.

However, it takes some preparation when you have time, like on the weekend.  I used this method with decent success before I had a grinder on pre-ground coffee or when I used a mortar & pestle or food processor to crudely chop up the beans.  Some people find it muffles the nuances of coffee like the chocolate finish or berry notes, etc.  I bet at this point you're not tasting those anyway.

Take a jar, fill it 1/3 of coffee grounds.  Then fill it to the top with your favorite water.  Shake it up and put it in the fridge for 24 hours.  Whenever you see the jar, give it another shake up.  You can actually use it after 12 hours.  Filter the solids from the liquids.  Personally, for speed, I run it through the kitchen strainer, then into the coffee filter.  I wash the jar and put coffee concentrate back in the jar.

So during the week, pour some cold concentrate into a cup (maybe warm it up in the micro), add hot water, run out the door.  You'll have to tune the ratio to your taste, though.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 2:16pm

Depending on your situation..   Do you have access to hot water, kettle anything like that?
If or if not I think a Bodum 16 oz electric kettle + Bodum Press Mug + Burr grinder.

I would grind coffee enough for 2 16 oz brews and take the second with you in a sealed ziplock.  All you gotta do it add hot water and coffee, steep for 2-4min and press.  Half way through the day rinse and repeat.  If you have access to hot water then ditch the kettle. :)  

Grinders I recommend Baratza Encore, Capresso Infinity, Hario Skerton.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 10:59am

Sure, a better grinder is going to help immensely, but +1 to wabbit's cold brew suggestion for something that's going to be much better that what the OP has going at the moment and extremely convenient.
Lee_M
Lee_M
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 7:37pm

A Baratza Encore plus a Bonavita 8 cup (40 oz) automatic brewer would be my recommendation. Total cost $250-300, but minimal effort, and if you dial in the grind correctly, a very good brewing method.
zimm

Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 5:29am

After a lot of research, I'm leaning towards retiring the B160 Keurig (take it to the office) and get a (Jura-Capresso Impressa C5?) espresso machine.  Then my wife can make her fancy lattes and such and I can have espresso at home, and also turn the dial and make 16oz of coffee to take to work in my mug.  I realize I'm now crossing into the other section of the forum, but besides from costing $1000. any down side to the super-automatic and keep the 12 cup brewer handy in case I need to make a mass quantity of coffee for a party, etc?
zimm

Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 10:05am

Lee_M Said:

A Baratza Encore plus a Bonavita 8 cup (40 oz) automatic brewer would be my recommendation. Total cost $250-300, but minimal effort, and if you dial in the grind correctly, a very good brewing method.

Posted December 2, 2013 link

I have the Baratza encore on my Christmas list.  I'll read up on the Bonavita.  The superauto machine would be cool, but we're not ready to drop $1000 on one yet.  Plus it's a bit overkill for mostly making coffee.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 5, 2013, 1:43pm

The biggest problem with the Super Auto is that even the best of them at 4 and 5 x the price you quote, only make Soso coffee, none of them make GREAT espresso. To that, they have high maint and short lives.

Great coffee, $1K, OVERKILL???????  NAH, not too much, but then you are new,  you are still in the sticker shock phase! :D :P

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 5, 2013, 2:08pm

It took a while to guess what a B160 is, after googling for a while, it seems to be a Keurig brewer of some sort.

While they are easy to use and what comes out of them is drinkable, they do not make great coffee.

There is no way they ever could. Coffee goes stale quickly after roasting and when you grind it, you only get MINUTES before staleness sets in. They fill the cups with an inert gas I think but even then the coffee stales.

This is why you need to buy fresh coffee and have a quality burr grinder yourself. Quite frankly, when done properly with fresh beans, drip can be a very nice cup, far and away better than any pod/cup machine.

Your request is kind of in the middle, size wise. Most are looking for single cup brewing or larger batches. I have several commercial drip air pot brewers. They work very well and make quality coffee. Most home brewers do not get hot enough, 195 to 205 F is required for brewing coffee.

While it is possible to get less than a full batch from a brewer, they are designed to brew a set volume, the parts are all designed around brewing a fixed volume of coffee so trying to get "half a pot" from them leads to much fussing with things to find the correct ratio of grounds to water and ground size. Add to that, because the system is designed for a set volume the flow rate of the water through the grounds bed is fixed, you will need more coffee grounds to yield a smaller batch when viewed per FLOZ of coffee.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New here- need a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282279014587)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+