Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
"Direct brewing" coffee maker in North America?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > "Direct brewing"...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
elwoodjblues

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Dec 28, 2013, 10:55am
Subject: "Direct brewing" coffee maker in North America?

When I lived in Europe, I used to have a coffee maker like this ("Philips HD5412/00 Avance Cafe Gourmet"):
Click Here (www.amazon.de)

It has the water at the top, where it heats it to the right temperature, then opens a valve and lets it drip straight onto the grounds and into the carafe at the bottom.

It's not only a sturdy design (unlike the common pump-based side water tank deisgn), but it also is much easier to clean with hard water (put vinegar solution into tank, let run through, done). I really liked it.

Is any such (or comparable) coffee maker available in North America? I have a hard time finding anything that's not exactly the same design as your average Mister Coffee. :(
 View Profile Link to this post
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman

Espresso: Bialetti stovetop
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sat Dec 28, 2013, 11:16am
Subject: Re: "Direct brewing" coffee maker in North America?

I went to the Amazon link (which is in German), but since I don't read German, I couldn't learn much about your coffee maker.  The Clever Dripper is a manual coffee maker, not an electric automatic, but the process is similar to what you describe.  The Clever Dripper has a cone.  You insert a paper filer in the cone, dump in the ground coffee, pour in near boiling water, stir the coffee and wait 4 minutes or so. The Dripper, unlike a Melitta cone, doesn't release the brewed coffee until you place the cone on top of a mug or cup.  The Dripper is sort of a combination of a manual drip and a French press.  It makes wonderful coffee.  The Dripper is widely available and costs about $22.
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Sat Dec 28, 2013, 12:29pm

elwoodjblues Said:

When I lived in Europe, I used to have a coffee maker like this...
It's not only a sturdy design (unlike the common pump-based side water tank deisgn)...

Posted December 28, 2013 link

That's a nice design, but where did you get the idea that electric drip coffeemakers have a pump? Most have a heating tube and one-way valve, and operate via thermosiphon (see e.g. here).
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Sat Dec 28, 2013, 3:18pm

Maybe Brazen brewer?

http://www.behmor.com/brazen.php

Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
elwoodjblues

Posted Sat Dec 28, 2013, 5:50pm

RapidCoffee Said:

That's a nice design, but where did you get the idea that electric drip coffeemakers have a pump? Most have a heating tube and one-way valve, and operate via thermosiphon (see e.g. here).

Yeah you're right and in the back of my head I knew that it doesn't actually have a pump, but didn't know how to express it any better :-/

Thanks for clarifying this!
elwoodjblues

Posted Sat Dec 28, 2013, 5:58pm

DCcoffeeman Said:

The Clever Dripper is a manual coffee maker, not an electric automatic, but the process is similar to what you describe.

Thanks! That appears to be what fancy coffee bars use when you order drip. Paired with a water boiler, that's definitely an option.

Also, sorry the link is in German -- couldn't give you an American English one for obvious reasons, though I didn't research in the UK.
elwoodjblues

Posted Sat Dec 28, 2013, 6:00pm

redkiosk Said:

Maybe Brazen brewer?

http://www.behmor.com/brazen.php

Wow! That's pretty much exactly what I am looking for, awesome! Now sadly, I checked out the reviews on seattlecoffeegear for the product are very mediocre :-/ so I might not want to buy that after all. Still thanks for the recommendation, gives me hope :)
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 6:08am

DCcoffeeman Said:

I went to the Amazon link (which is in German), but since I don't read German, I couldn't learn much about your coffee maker.  The Clever Dripper is a manual coffee maker, not an electric automatic, but the process is similar to what you describe.  The Clever Dripper has a cone.  You insert a paper filer in the cone, dump in the ground coffee, pour in near boiling water, stir the coffee and wait 4 minutes or so. The Dripper, unlike a Melitta cone, doesn't release the brewed coffee until you place the cone on top of a mug or cup.  The Dripper is sort of a combination of a manual drip and a French press.  It makes wonderful coffee.  The Dripper is widely available and costs about $22.

Google Translate
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman

Espresso: Bialetti stovetop
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 6:34am

Google Translate!  Great suggestion. Why didn't I think of that?  I did once use Google Translate to translate and read a tweet in Arabic.  Now, I'm going to make my wife and me each a cup of Sumatran in our Clever Dripper.
mwright

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 7:41am

I believe that is how the Bunn Phase Brew is supposed to work as well.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > "Direct brewing"...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.324193000793)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+