Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Monarch Methods Copper Pour Over Kettle
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Monarch Methods...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
redkiosk
redkiosk
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 2:36pm
Subject: Monarch Methods Copper Pour Over Kettle

I had thought my Bonavita variable temperature pour over kettle was the PERFECT match to my Kalita Wave 155 & 185 drippers. That is, until I received my Christmas gift this year. The Monarch Methods Copper Pour Over Kettle takes the control of pour over brewing to a new level. Designed and hand-built by Chris Chekan in Toronto, Canada, this beautiful, handle-less copper kettle, insulated with a 10 oz. leather harness is perfectly balanced. Because your hand is literally wrapped around the body of the kettle, minute adjustments to the pour can easily be made. The 5/16" OD copper gooseneck can flow from 1200ml/min down to just a drop with little or no effort. They are available in either 320 ml or 500ml sizing, come with a recessed thermometer port and have a glass bead finish which allows for a rich and natural patina to develop over time. Chris's craftsmanship is incredible, and the design of the kettle, well, it speaks for itself. Here's a few pics of my 500 ml kettle…

Take care!

Jim

redkiosk: MM#1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
 View Profile Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 2:37pm
Subject: Re: Monarch Methods Copper Pour Over Kettle

another pic…

redkiosk: MM#3.jpg
(Click for larger image)

redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 2:41pm

one more pic…

redkiosk: MM#2.jpg
(Click for larger image)

redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 2:41pm

final pic…

redkiosk: MM#4.jpg
(Click for larger image)

rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 11:10pm

How do you heat the water?  I assume it doesn't plug in, so you have to put it on the stove, right?  Any issues with scorching the leather jacket?
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 3:55am

rmongiovi Said:

How do you heat the water?  I assume it doesn't plug in, so you have to put it on the stove, right?  Any issues with scorching the leather jacket?

Posted January 2, 2014 link

The Monarch Methods kettle is used only for the controlled pouring of water over the coffee grounds and must filled with hot water first. It is not designed to be heated on a stove top. The copper does an excellent job of drawing a few degrees out of the water initially while it itself heats up, and then the insulating leather harness maintains that temperature for the duration of the brew. I usually start with 210ºF - 212ºF water from my Bonavita kettle and fill the Monarch kettle full. After a few seconds to rinse the filter, the water temperature inside the kettle has stabilized to 202ºF and rarely drops below 200ºF by the end of the brewing period. The "heat sink" of the copper is so predictable, that if I want a lower brewing temperature, I usually set the Bonavita for a lower initial temperature and then fill the copper kettle with the slightly cooler water. Hope this helps explains how it's used. Take care!

Jim

calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 7:47am

I was wondering about that too, so it is more of dispensor than a kettle, cool.

It looks very nice and it sounds like a joy to use, congrats! The only thing I see is copper is a pain to keep polished, if you don't mind the ... patina, so much the better.

A GENERAL WORD OF CAUTION, copper can be toxic in the right (is that wrong?) conditions, I really doubt you will have many problems here but the reason copper pans and cooking vessels are tin lined is that with acidic foods, copper can leach into the food.

The acid in a lemon does a good job of cleaning copper. I have made several large copper bowels to cook in that are unlined, they are for eggs only and produce a wonderful foam. Just before use, you use a lemon to clean the tarnish from the bowel and all is good. The tarnish can add an off flavor.

Like I said, I doubt you may have these issues but they are a caution one must know about with copper.

ENJOY, that sure does look good :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 11:13am

Yes, those were all things I considered beforehand. The copper has a microscopic glass bead finish, so it should patina beautifully. I also just happen to be one of those types that really doesn't like polished or plated metal and prefers a natural patina. Since the boiling water that will eventually go into the kettle, starts out from my home's cold copper water line, goes through an inline triflow filter, is brought to a boil in the stainless steel Bonavita variable temperature kettle and then will sit in the copper kettle for no more than 4 minutes, I'm not too worried about copper toxicity. Now for sure, I wouldn't be loading this baby with a hot lemon toddy!

Another feature that really stands out with this kettle is it's gooseneck spout. I'm always hitting the edge of the Kalita 155 dripper with the Bonavita spout when I try to get really close to the coffee bed. With the Monarch Method kettle, I can position the tip almost on top of the bed and still have full control over the flow. It's simply a pleasure to use. Take care!

Jim

AaronMiller

Espresso: VBM DD
Grinder: Major, Kyocera
Vac Pot: Espro press
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 1:23pm

It's a great little kettle. I have been using mine for about seven months and I love it! I have the same 500mL size as "redkiosk" but with the original leather version. It's a solid leather wrap with the eyelets in the back going vertical. It gets used for my Chemex or Hario V60. I definitely agree that this kettle has excellent craftsmanship and superior control! Mine has natural patina and I haven't tried cleaning it back to its original shine. Chris (Monarch Methods owner) said that it would easily clean up with any food safe metal cleaner/polisher. It's a joy to use and definitely a coffee tool that I would recommend.
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 1:58pm

I seem to remember that you usually clean copper mixing bowls with salt moistened with white vinegar.  If you have any citric acid (commonly used to descale coffee equipment) I'll bet that would make the perfect substitute: salt and citric acid moistened with water....
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Monarch Methods...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.329209089279)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+