Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
pour-over vs. espresso
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > pour-over vs....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Oberon

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 9:59am
Subject: pour-over vs. espresso

So I know dedication to a good cup at home requires...er...dedication, and often some work.  I currently am using pour-over as my method of choice, for more control, a clean cup, and fairly easy composting of grounds (compared to french press, which I have gone back and forth using). But rinsing my filter, warming the cone and cup, then the attentive pouring/waiting/pouring isn't a very satisfying process for me, and our heavy kettle exacerbates this.

While there are LOTS of more significant considerations in getting an espresso machine, I'm trying to get a realistic view of the hassle and cleanup factor at home.  I've been a barista before, and the process of making drinks, esp. americanos (which I mostly drink), was both satisfying and efficient, and clean-up was easy as well (although much of it came between shifts).  Am I daft to think that moving to espresso, once dialed in at home, will be 'easier' (subjective term, mostly focused not on skill required, but time and effort, all things considered)???

thx
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 10:22am
Subject: Re: pour-over vs. espresso

I'm going to reply to this, even though I may not be the best person to really answer your question, as I don't find cleaning up after making presspot all that cumbersome. Take into account also, that I make presspot at work, where the closest sink to my personal space is about 100 feet down the hall and around a corner, so I have to deal with locking my office door while I go clean up. And in fact, I may not directly answer your question below...

However, I do think cleaning up after an espresso session is pretty easy.  I'm including steps for people who use milk too, because a) others will have the same uestion, and b) just about everyone who gets into espresso ends up doing milk, even if just for guests

Basic daily steps include (this is actually after each session):
flush water through group and rinse out portafilter - perhaps backflush with water only (depending on machine)
clean milk residue off steam wand with a cloth or paper towel
make sure reservoir is full (if machine is not plumbed)
clean frothing pitcher

Every few sessions to weekly:
empty and/or clean out drip tray (even if runoff is plumbed to drain, you still need to clean it weekly)
empty and clean out knock box
perhaps clean machine reservoir (if not plumbed)

Every few weeks or so
backflush group with detergent (depends on machine)
perhaps clean machine reservoir (if not plumbed)

Quarterly, biannually, annually (depends on water supply)
descale machine

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 11:46am

For those days when I can't spend the quality time doing a pour over (usually first thing in the morning everyday!) I find the Bunn Trifecta MB a dream come true. Minimal clean-up with fantastic tasting coffee in about 1.5 minutes. At about the price point for an entry level espresso maker, it's something you might want to consider. Take care!

Jim

http://www.bunnathome.com/products/trifecta

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
Oberon

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 1:47pm

thanks, helpful to catalog all the duties associated...I imagine setup makes a difference too, and one's grinding operation.

I have a smallish bar in my kitchen with a bar sink, the counter can fit a machine (I have in mind a La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II) and my Vario grinder, so it could be pretty ideal.  It would not be plumbed.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 12:15am

I have for brewing
Vac pots,
French press,
Aero press
Moka pot
single cup drip
commercial drip machines both plumb in and pour over.

I also have a commercial espresso machine, commercial autodosing grinder and a big knock box.

At home, I have not used any other method of brewing than espresso for years for myself. If I can avoid it, I do not even do other methods for company that come over, I just make an Americanno when they want "coffee" they always enjoy it.

Cleanup..... not much to either drip or espresso. Dump the grounds and wash the PF or the cone, wipe the counter and enjoy the coffee. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Oberon

Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 8:44am

That is what I would hope would happen here...over the years I've had most contraptions available, but have been most captivated by making espresso. The lingering fear while considering the purchase is having the machine collect dust in favor of other options, which often comes down to how the options fit with my life and living situation.

Other's experiences???
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 12:27pm

Like Wayne, I ALWAYS opt for espresso, when possible.  At home, I have a pretty darn good espresso setup, and three moka pots that haven't left their spot in the cabinet for about 8 years, other than to pack them up for a move.  I also have an Aeropress that is reserved for travel (including when I have to work at a remote location in town - remote from my office, that is).  At work, I have two Espro press pots and a MyPressi Twist. I have an OE Lido that I use only for the presses (it's my travel grinder too). I bring the larger press pot home (and the Lido) when my Mom comes to visit, and only make her a pot of it when I've got a lot of time - like when we're all just chillin'. Otherwise, I make her an americano.  She can tell the difference, but loves them both. The Twist is collecting dust until I pull the trigger on my home grinder upgrade. Then I'll have one of my Macap M4s in my office and will probably start using the Twist more than the presses (just my suspicion). Especially, since I have three boxes of NO2 cartridges collecting dust too.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 12:45pm

For me it is time of day and volume.

In the A.M. it is a chemex pot - a cup for B.W. a cup for me and another 1/2 cup before leaving.

In the evening or later in the day espresso - cap for B. W. and straight shot for me.

The morning prep and clean-up is less than the P.M. espresso routine.

Sky
Oberon

Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 12:58pm

Skylar Said:

For me it is time of day and volume.

In the A.M. it is a chemex pot - a cup for B.W. a cup for me and another 1/2 cup before leaving.

In the evening or later in the day espresso - cap for B. W. and straight shot for me.

The morning prep and clean-up is less than the P.M. espresso routine.

Sky

Posted January 5, 2014 link

Volume: maybe once or twice a year do we do more than 2 cups in the AM, so we never brew pots at a time.

Typical AM - one big cup for me, occassional cup for my wife.  I do americanos, but would go for an occassional cap.; Wife likes late when available, but likes americanos too.
4cups
4cups

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivildi S1
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr. , Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Hario DECO, Bodum press
Drip: Gevalia
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 6:25pm

Espresso...wins! especially if you have hot water spout on your machine. Americanos fast and easy. Clean up is a snap, tap out the puck, wipe and flush the PF. Empty drip tray once a week. Clean your screens when you think about it (its not that big a deal) I've let mine go for like 6 months. yea yea I get lazy sometimes. The more there clogged the better the coffee tastes (just kidding) Just flush them out after each use, they'll stay good for a while. The messy part is the grinding, dosing the PF and whatever method you decide for preparing your PF prior to installation. If you're station is close to a sink no big deal wet sponge clean up. If not.. buy a big fancy plate to keep at your station and work over it. Bonus, the left over grounds on the plate can go into compost. Pour-over and press pot on the weekends.    

Jody
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > pour-over vs....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311058044434)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+