Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Flavor differences - time vs. amount
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Flavor...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
VNKnees
VNKnees
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 1:13pm
Subject: Flavor differences - time vs. amount

I brew with a French Press, using a Mr. Coffee burr mill to grind my own beans. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on what kinds of different flavor results can be expected when you a) brew for a longer time, versus when you b) add more coffee to the pot. My normal routine is about 1/3 cup (?) of grounds (#8 on the grinder), semi-coarse grind (halfway between medium and coarse), and brewed for about 3.5 minutes with 48 oz. of 200-ish water. I'm willing to do some experimenting, but I wanted to see what info was already out there before doing so. Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 3:36pm
Subject: Re: Flavor differences - time vs. amount

A) More compounds extracted, bitter harshness prevail

B) More coffee, same water will produce a thicker brew with more compounds present, harsh, thick, over abundant flavors

If the grind is the only thing changed then a smaller grind will extract more then a more coarse grind due to more surface area.  Grind too fine the coffee will over extract (strong), too coarse and it will under extract (weak).

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
VNKnees
VNKnees

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 4:03pm

Thanks, Tim. So if I want a "stronger" coffee, with less chance of bitterness, it seems like adding more coffee to the water is my best bet - or possibly reducing the size of the grind. And a longer brew tends to be a more bitter brew. I'll give it a try!
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 4:11pm

If your coffee is bitter your brew water may be too hot, but yes adding more coffee alone will make the flavor "stronger" to taste.

How much coffee and water are you using?  Are you using a scale to weigh them both?

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
VNKnees
VNKnees

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 4:35pm

My coffee isn't bitter at all, but it's also not as strong/flavorful as I'd like. It's a medium dark roast, so I expect a bit more of a kick than I'm getting.

The temperature is the one thing I'm pretty careful about measuring. I always make sure it's between 200 and 205. But I haven't really measured the amount of coffee I use; as I said, it's around 1/3 of a cup in my 48 oz French Press. And I pour the hot water until it's just full enough to not overflow. I set my timer for 3 minutes, but usually don't push the plunger down for another 15 or so seconds after that.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 7:07pm

What beans are you using and how fresh?
VNKnees
VNKnees

Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 4:26am

It's a blend of medium and French roasts from Cafe Mam called Viennese Blend, and they're very fresh at the moment. I do freeze a 5-lb bag, so it takes us a while to go through it, but the flavor doesn't really vary too much from first opening to bottom of the bag.
MWJB

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 4:36am

Any chance you can weigh that "1/3 cup" so we can gage your brew ratio.

Try steeping longer too. Overextraction is very unlikely, however fine you go, in 3.5minutes, you may have trouble keeping bittering, fine particles out of the cup though, with a very fine grind. After your 3.5 minutes, remove the plunger & pour the first 1/4 cup of liquid away (mostly oil), then taste a little...if it's good decant & enjoy, if not, put the plunger back & come back in 5 mins, repeat until you get nice coffee. There are probably a couple of high preference extraction points, so you usually get "2 bites of the cherry" so to speak.
VNKnees
VNKnees

Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 5:44am

I'm actually leaving today and won't be back until the weekend, but I'll weigh it then. I'm very interested to hear what you say about the amount; I had no idea coffee could be portioned by weight, but it makes sense.

And an 8-minute steep, huh? That's very intriguing. I'll give it a try!
MWJB

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 6:03am

VNKnees Said:

And an 8-minute steep, huh? That's very intriguing. I'll give it a try!

Posted January 7, 2014 link

I rarely disturb a steeping pot before 10-15 minutes, might not actually drink it for 2-3 times that.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Flavor...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272177934647)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+