Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita bv1800th (thermal carafe)
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
steelgtr

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: TV Moccamaster/ glass
Roaster: WB Air Crazy/ Sifter
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 5:11pm
Subject: Re: Bonavita bv1800th (thermal carafe)

msboo Said:

Bonavita replaced my brewer---it was over heating, up to 207.5, and the shower head also leaking. The replacement brewer works fine but when observing it's shower head it doesn't seem as consistent as my original brewer was prior to it's leak. I'll keep watching but coffee results are good. I called the number for customer service at BonavitaWorld.com, they took time to talk with me about my over-heating brewer.

Regarding Bonavita's glass-lined thermos problems....  I was really concerned prior to purchase as I've used ONLY glass-lined thermal carafes since 1990 with absolutely NO problems. Prior to Bonavita, my brewers were glass carafe models so fresh brew was always poured into a pre-heated thermal carafe. Typical glass-lined carafes purchased in retail stores or online are taller and narrow compared to the Bonavita thermal carafe or the Melitta 8 Cup Thermal Pour Over (one and the same carafe). Bonavita's carafe is much wider and shorter than others AND, with the top removed, has huge opening. The opening alone makes a big difference IF your carafe explodes.

I'm curious if the standard taller, narrow glass-lined carafes withstand regular use better due to their construction and dimensions? These carafes have been around forever---they may look a little different on their exterior and are sold under different brand names BUT appear exactly the same inside. All have a smaller opening at the top, still big enough for a bottle brush. I've kept those carafes clean using an OXO all plastic brush. When my replacement brewer arrived it included a round sponge w/plastic handle for cleaning my original carafe. I love my Bonavita brewer but have handled the carafe with extreme care due to reviews and it's different construction.

Posted December 26, 2013 link

Mine's measuring at 209 ,s.  Did you notice a problem with the coffee at the temp?

bob
 View Profile Link to this post
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 9:03pm

Hey Bob.... my coffee was awful, over extracted and tasted very bitter no matter what I did. The brewer worked fine for apprx 3 mos then started over heating. The replacement works great.

Broken carafes....  go to www.bonavitaworld.com Call the toll free number at the bottom of the page, talk with someone there about your carafe. You will still have to fill out a claim form but I think it will help speaking with them directly first. Regarding my over heating brewer, I called Espresso Supply first as they are Bonavita's global distributer---they weren't concerned about my brewer reaching 207.5 plus and told me all I could do was fill out a claim form. They were nice but the lack of concern wasn't very encouraging so I gave up for a while THEN thought of going straight to Bonavita---big difference as they listened, I filled out a claim form and problem solved.

I understand broken carafes can be questionable since some may have been mistakenly mishandled but not all---there have been too many "exploding" carafes. I've been using glass-lined carafes for 20 yrs but all those are the same inside---the glass bottle interior is tall and narrow, with 32oz capacity in comparison to Bonavita's shorter, squatty 40 oz glass interior. I've often wondered about the difference, if it has anything to do with Bonavita carafes being more "fragile"???  

Two of my four standard, tall and narrow glass-lined carafes are actually 23 yrs old and still in use today. Have always preheated w/hot tap water or water off boil, no trouble cleaning although handle with care BUT I would NEVER start making iced coffee in one with hot coffee inside---just not a good idea.
steelgtr

Espresso: Saeco
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: TV Moccamaster/ glass
Roaster: WB Air Crazy/ Sifter
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 9:41pm

msboo Said:

Hey Bob.... my coffee was awful, over extracted and tasted very bitter no matter what I did. The brewer worked fine for apprx 3 mos then started over heating. The replacement works great.

Posted January 8, 2014 link

Thanks, That's just what we thought too, bitter and burnt!

bob
msboo

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 10:45am

steelgtr Said:

Thanks, That's just what we thought too, bitter and burnt!

Posted January 8, 2014 link

BURNT---yes, after tasting "bitter", "burnt" seems to always be the finish (in this event). YUK---not a pleasant way to start the morning.

I read there was a batch of brewers manufactured in 2012 that had problems over-heating. I had purchased my original unit in Nov 2012.

Thank goodness there are other ways to brew until you get a replacement...  May the Geeks be with you!
msboo

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 11:35am

Just read over this thread from the beginning, back in Jan 2012. Saw comments from those with broken carafes, not wanting to replace w/another Bonavita carafe and wondering what else might fit under for brewing. I'm sure some of you have seen/heard of using a Chemex under the BV unit but thought I'd mention it since no one else did.
bgdbgd

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 7:33am

This is an update to my previous message about our second exploding carafe.  We are now on our fifth, with all subsequent ones promptly replaced by Bonavita with no problem.  The third arrived with a broken handle (the plastic part).  When the fourth exploded, the company offered us either a wait for its new alll-stainless carafe or new coffee maker with a glass carafe.  

We waited for the stainless thermal one and its great.  Also says DW safe, though we've been hand-washing it.  Its a bit larger, holds another 2 cups of water, so we've just recently tried adding water during the brewing cycle to get more than 8 cups of coffee (which is great for weekend mornings).  (Recognizing that the whole reason for limiting the size is that for a cone shaped filter 8 cups is really the most water you can steeped without overdoing the grinds, we shall see whether we continue trying that.)  

I love that this coffee maker makes such hot coffee; with most I have to microwave it to get it hot enough for me.  I've tried many many coffee makers and all in all I would now recommend this one.  Bunn has pretty good customer service too, but we're grateful that the company has been so responsive about its glass carafe, which was starting to make me nervous every time I rinsed it out.
etexlady

Grinder: Capresso Infinity;  Bunn
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Melitta...
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 6:09pm

I'm glad you were able to get replacement carafes for your Bonavita.  Perhaps they are now convinced that the problem is with their product and not due to operator error.  Interesting also that they have changed to a stainless steel carafe.
msboo

Posted Tue Apr 1, 2014, 11:50am

Wow, they've replaced their glass-lined carafe with stainless-lined?!  Til getting a BV brewer, the only glass-lined carafe I ever saw or used was the standard tall narrow looking type. I've had no problems (knock on wood) but have been extra careful with the BV wide-mouth squatty carafe.
DubfromGA
DubfromGA

Posted Sun Jun 1, 2014, 6:15am

Well......I guess I should have read here first.

I've been wanting a new coffee maker to replace the Black & Decker auto drip I've been using for a year.    

I also have a Keurig that was a gift.  I keep it under the counter for guests who like those machines.  My folks come and visit and are smitten with the Keurig.  It's an easy way to provide some java that they love.  About my only use for is with some of the herbal tea blend k-cups I've found to be good.

The Bonavita bv1800kh seemed like the perfect coffee machine for me.  

I mail ordered one yesterday after searching all around my hometown for one locally.

I hadn't heard about the "imploding" carafe experiences that seem overly frequent.  Well.....I guess I'll know soon enough how durable it is.

I'll be sure to check the brew temps with my Thermapen.
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.471149206161)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+