Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Kickstarter brewer - Duo Coffee Steeper
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Kickstarter...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
1canuck2

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Clever Coffee Dripper,...
Drip: DeLonghi DCM900
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 8:53pm
Subject: Kickstarter brewer - Duo Coffee Steeper

Anyone see this new brewer on Kickstarter? The Duo Coffee Steeper
Click Here (www.kickstarter.com)
I just backed it.

Its kind of like a self-enclosed non-plastic CCD or french press meets hario pourover. I am most interested in whether the filter is as good as they claim. It could be a good brewing option for me to use at work getting just hot water from the horrible Van Houtte machine that provides free swill to my fellow co-workers.

Curious if anyone has any thoughts?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 8:14am
Subject: Re: Kickstarter brewer - Duo Coffee Steeper

Thoughts, well it does not do anything that an Aeropress does not do at $20 retail price, in fact, except for the slight difference of an Aeropress pressing the coffee through the bed of grounds VS a drip style as this is, there really isn't any difference. Well except that Aeropress has been out for years, lots of mods abound as well as modified brew methods, it is inexpensive, un breakable and proven.

This thing is just a drip brewer that has an "On/Off" control for draining of the coffee from the cone. YMMV.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 11:06am

I wish that:
-  the upper vessel was insulated
-  the lower vessel was double walled like the Espro press, and of metal and not glass. Swing a pickax for a couple of hours and a tapered glass vessel is not the first thing you are likely to pick up.
- and that the filter was cylindrical (flat bottomed) and not conical, although depending on how the grounds sit in the water that might not matter at all.

On the other hand, looking at the mainstream coffee-drinking public, it looks nice, it is easy to use, and will make better coffee than 95% of the coffee makers in homes today.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
oktyone

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 12:27pm

I had to stop when the guy pours coffee all over himself, way too cheesy for me.

I don't see why it shouldn't brew good coffee, but my initial thoughts is that it seems too tall and prone to breaking due to the use of glass, it just looks like the kind of coffee gadget you can never fit under any kitchen cabinet and gets knocked down out of the counter when you least expect it.

I'd only consider getting this if the upper brewer could be bought without the decanter and easily be made to fit a standard mug, or whatever pitcher you want to use.
 View Profile Link to this post
cafedj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 2:24pm

The brewing concept has appeal, but it looks like cleaning it after each use would be difficult at best.  Conical filter, metal screens, tall vessel with a narrow waist.  All hard to keep clean.  So, possible but doubtful.
1canuck2

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Clever Coffee Dripper,...
Drip: DeLonghi DCM900
Posted Sat Jan 11, 2014, 8:33am

This does not seem anything like an aeropress to me calblack. I would compare it ot a CCD or even a press pot before I would compare it to an aeropress. Your final comment (drip brewer with on/off) I agree with, but that does not describe an aeropress.

Frcn: good points. I too have a fear about the glass breaking. I bought my Hario pourover setup with a mini glass carafe and managed to break it within a couple of months. I imagine glass is cheaper than double-walled metal, hence the decision... I thnk the conical is a better choice as it will be better if you only want to make half a pot.

Kickastarter videos are always cheesy. Seems to be the thing to do. I ignored the cheese and focused on the product because it still intrigued me.

I watched the video a couple more times, this thing is way bigger than you initially think. Look at it when they are holding it. At first I thought it was like a regular ppress pot size, but it is quite large.
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:03am

Whether by accident, or design, this looks like it may be a shade cleverer than the CCD. It seems to have a 2 stage filter, so your grinds steep in the permanent filter, at draw down the brew can run off the top of, & around, the bed...less impact of draw down? You can, of course, get a similar effect by using a metal filter and a paper filter in the CCD (as per Nick Cho's video), but the CCD doesn't make 4 cups of coffee.

If there's a lot of space under the #1stage filter, it may act like a pourover to start with, then steep when full? I'd add enough water to 1/2 fill, dose, then add remainder. Otherwise, it looks pretty fool-proof in concept?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Kickstarter...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248972892761)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+