Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best option for morning coffee? (+ insulation + quiet + without-waking-up..)
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best option for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
djmitchella

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 9:32pm
Subject: Best option for morning coffee? (+ insulation + quiet + without-waking-up..)

I'm looking for a better way to make coffee in the morning, and I have a few constraints which are making this awkward.

1. Wherever the coffee goes needs to keep the coffee warm once it's done. I get up about an hour and a half before my wife -- currently I have a generic small "5-cup" drip machine with a hot plate at the bottom, which makes coffee that's perfectly acceptable to help wake me up, if not much more than that. However, after an hour+ on the hotplate, the coffee is pretty much ruined.

2. Relatively compact; the counter space dedicated to coffee already has a Baratza Preciso and an NS Oscar on there, so I only have about 10-11" or so of width left.

3. Quiet. This is the killer, and this is why I'm wondering how worthwhile this entire process is. Like I said, I get up long before anyone else, so I need to keep things fairly quiet -- in particular, I can't be grinding coffee in the morning, because while the Preciso is many things, quiet is not one of them..

4. Attention-free. I have an aeropress, and a Hario pourover cone, but both of those require more attention and awakeness than I can muster up first thing in the morning. I have a generic outlet timer, so I can set things to start up five minutes before me so the coffee is ready with zero effort on my part, but that doesn't work if I need to grind coffee first. Same issue applies for the second cup, except more so, because my wife also has kids to give breakfast to / get prepared for school, so she's even less keen on anything involving concentration..

Right now, I have 2, 3, and 4 covered, but it's point 1 that's getting me. And notice that none of those points above were "best possible taste". I don't want coffee that's awful, but I'll settle for coffee that's 'good enough under the circumstances'..

Now, I've looked around, and a Bonavita BV1800 with a thermal carafe would meet all these criteria, but I don't know if it's going to be worthwhile, and could potentially be counterproductive.. I've seen mention that a better coffeemaker would actually make worse coffee if I'm grinding the beans the night before, because it would do a better job of bringing out their staleness. Then again, I drink morning coffee with milk and sugar anyway, so that helps to tone things down a bit. (I can still tell when coffee is just plain bad, but I don't mind missing the fruity overtones et al first thing in the morning).

If I'm making coffee at any other time, I'll normally do aeropress/pourover/etc, so the Bonavita seems like a lot of machine for what it'll usually be used for, and I'm nervous about all the reports of the thermal carafe breaking -- but on the other hand I don't know if any of the cheaper options are really worth considering. The Melitta 46894 seems to be fairly positively reviewed (with even a few happy reviewers in this forum), and would be cheaper, but it's much too large for the space available.

One possibility would be to just stick with what I have, and pour the coffee into a thermos or something once I've had my cup, so it'll keep warm without overcooking until my wife gets up; that's probably the cheapest option, but it has the significant disadvantage that I don't get any new toys if I do things that way.. :)

There's the automatic grind-and-brew machines, to avoid the ground coffee going stale, but those are a:big, and most likely b:loud, and as far as I know c:don't make very good coffee. Is there some other option I'm missing?
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 9:53pm
Subject: Re: Best option for morning coffee? (+ insulation + quiet + without-waking-up..)

My neighbor has Breville Youbrew, some owners on here as well. It's surprisingly good, makes a great cup, but it's kinda loud. There's really no quiet electric grinder though. Just put the beans in, set and program it, and it'll grind and brew automatically for you in the morning. I gave the Technovorm only a slight edge with same beans, pretty impressive for Breville. He's had it awhile now, no issues. It's not small, you'd have to look at the measurements and see if it would fit.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 7:25am
Subject: Re: Best option for morning coffee? (+ insulation + quiet + without-waking-up..)

Have you thought of a stainless steel french press?  I only have had hands on with class ones but they make a great cup and cost at most $100-$125 for the 5 cup stainless steel ones. I have ground the night before for espresso which I don't advise although if you grind courser for say "french press" the grinds take longer to oxidize and go stale.  I believe if you grind for press (Only for the next morning) and seal in a ziplock foil bag you could brew a full pot easily the next morning with no noise.  All you would have to do is add coffee, water, wait for a few min and pres and your done.

44 oz Frieling Ultimo
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CoffeeNark

Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 7:57am

I think some kind of a thermos would be your best bet for keeping your coffee warm.  The only issue I have had with any kind of thermal carafe is they don't seem to last as long as they did 30 or 40 years ago.  Back then, a good Thermos bottle would keep coffee hot all day and would last for years.  It seems now, that after 3 years or so, their ability to keep products warm is lost.  Always pre-heat a carafe or Thermos before pouring your coffee in, so as to maximize the job it can do.

I recently got a new grinder, a Breville Smart Grinder, and am very pleased with how quiet it is.  Much quieter than my old Krups Krap grinder.  It isn't too often I start grinding before my wife awakes but when I do, I close the bedroom and kitchen doors, get everything ready and then wait to start the grinder until I hear the HVAC kick on.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Feb 5, 2014, 8:22am

Get the Bonavita or a Technivorm KBT741 if you want the best, and whatever grinder you want, and then get a small fan or white noise device and put it in your bedroom.  The sound will mask out any disturbances during the night and cover up the grinding noise in the morning.  After a while of using it you will wonder how you ever slept without it before.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
photodog25

Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 5:52pm

If you cannot buffer the sound from your sleeping family, I would buy a Lido2 hand grinder $175 so that you can quietly grind coffee just before brewing. I would also buy a 1 liter "Samba" glass-lined thermal container (@$25 from amazon) so that you can keep the just brewed piping hot for your wife. Later, if you want better coffee, the Bonavita would be a step up. I would get the grinder first, however.
djmitchella

Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 8:55pm

The Lido 2 is an interesting option, but it's not all that quiet, as far as I can tell from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoCQyEtgVdw -- though he may just be being enthusiastic with his grinding.

Otherwise something like a Frieling or Espro seems like a reasonable idea; I'm going to see what I can do by wrapping the grinder in a teatowel to muffle the sound a bit, as when I listen to it carefully, a surprising amount of noise is coming from the lid to the bean hopper rattling around.

thanks for the tips!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best option for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.226620912552)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+