Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Full-automatic coffee machine with steam wand - which one?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Full-automatic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Woodgnome

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 2:07am
Subject: Full-automatic coffee machine with steam wand - which one?

I work at smaller office (usually ~8 people, but some times people come in from other departments and we'll be ~15 people). About 2/3 of those people drink coffee. We currently own a Jura Impressa J5, but it looks like it's time to replace it (only the hot water/steamer components work and it's been repaired multiple times already). I don't drink coffee myself, but I enjoy steaming milk for chai lattes and the steam wand on the J5 seems a bit lackluster.

From the espresso forum here's my answers to the "standard" questions:

1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
For me: Just tea, i.e. I would like a (proper) steam wand and a hot water tap.
For the rest of the office: Just coffee - they're not coffee geeks so they don't have any specific requirements other than it tastes well and that they can regulate how strong the coffee is.

2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at any one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
We probably brew 10-25 cups a day. Usually 2-5 back to back.

3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
With people coming in from the other departments once or twice a week, I think about 75-125 cups for a busy week.

4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pour over machine with its own reservoir?
Own reservoir. The J5 has a 2L reservoir - doesn't necessarily need to be any bigger.

5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
In Denmark we have 10-amp circuits (230V).

6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?
I'd say up to 1600 . Since it's for company use we can deduct the 25% VAT, which would make the budget 2000. Grinder should be built into the machine.

7)  Are you willing to buy used or do you need new equipment? Do you or family member have the skills to repair used equipment?
New equipment.

8)  Do you have the essential accessories (decent tamper, knockbox, the works), otherwise budget about $100 for these.
Don't think we need any of the accessories for a full-automatic coffee machine.

A few bullet points about what is important for us:
  • 1-button coffee making: On the J5 we just hit the 1/2 cups button and maybe adjust the strength with the dial. Need something similarly automatic.
  • A proper steam wand: Manual use - while I'm not a coffee drinker, I do think I have a little barista hidden inside and frankly, the steam wand on the J5 is just terrible.
  • Hot water tap.
  • Low/easy maintenance: One of our problems with the J5 is the descaling process, which involves a bit of keeping an eye on what's going on (emptying dirty water containers, hitting continue buttons - that kind of stuff). We'd like something that is a bit more automatic, like: Add cleaning agent, hit a button, come back 15 minutes later and empty drip tray/dirty water container.

I've had a hard time finding the combination of a full-automatic coffee machine WITH a proper steam wand (the Jura lineup doesn't do it for me), but I guess that makes sense seeing as steam wands are usually somthing manual. Either way, I hope you guys might know what to look for.
 View Profile Link to this post
outrigger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 12:41pm
Subject: Re: Full-automatic coffee machine with steam wand - which one?

so many choices:

Click Here (www.quickmill.it)
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Full-automatic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.199414968491)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+