Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Hello all, new here with some Q's about dialing in French Press
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hello all, new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014, 2:38am
Subject: Re: Hello all, new here with some Q's about dialing in French Press

Goldensncoffee Said:

MWJB- I just got done doing some test grinds with the skerton. I was about 1 1/2 turns out this am, where the grind size was inconsistent. I have it around 3/4 turn out now and the particles seem much more uniform in size. A lot smaller though. Tomorrow morning I will try this finer grind with the same steep time. I have a few questions. Is the only reason people grind coarse with a press, because of solids in the cup? What happens extraction wise when you have a finer grind? Also what happens to taste with a longer steep in general?.

Posted February 10, 2014 link

Yes, I guess the main reason for brewing coarse in a French press is to stop particles from being blown through the mesh into your beverage during the plunge & to keep silt down in the cup. After initial wetting, I don't disturb the coffee bed, hopefully all the grinds have sunk and stay in the bottom of the press. I get comparatively little silt in my French press brews, just a light dusting at the bottom of the cup (typically a fine drip grind). If you're worried about overextraction, it's very unlikely - coffee steeped in a French press is unlikely to get much past 22% immersion yield, maybe 23% tops? I often find it preferable at maximum extraction, 22% +/- 0.5% (but tasting as you go, allows you to pick preference points, some folks like their coffee brighter, as do I from time to time & certain coffees). The worst thing that can happen with a longer steep is that your coffee goes cold...and if your coffee is well extracted, being cold is not always a bad thing.

Don't go by/stick to steep time, different coffees, different grinders may shift ideal steep time from on situation to another, go by taste.
 View Profile Link to this post
Goldensncoffee
Goldensncoffee
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Breville Smart, Skerton
Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014, 7:26pm

MWJB-

Just wanted to thank you for your advice on fine grinding. My coffee this morning was awesome. I couldn't believe I only had a small amount of silt in the bottom of the cup too. I'm so happy with my french press. Its like a whole new world of coffee. I can't wait to try some different coffees out of it now that I have more knowledge on how to use it. Anything you would recommend I should try?
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014, 9:05pm

Good news! :-)

Just keep trying out different steep times, fine tuning ratios (I like 18:1, but that's more a personal thing), try adding the water first (30s off boil), then the coffee & keep folding it in gently (careful not to overflow the pot & not so much "stirring", more dunking) with the back of a spoon until all is sunk & you just have some tan foam at the top of the pot, submerge with the plunger, cover & steep.

Try secondary filtering a proportion of the brew through an Aeropress, or a Melitta style cone with a white Filtropa paper for better clarity (especially the last, siltiest, part of the brew - the first part shouldn't really need it & the whole brew will clog the paper & take an age to drip through, an Espro press may render this part redundant) can be interesting to compare & get a bit more clarity, but more stuff to clean up after. ;-)

If you're asking which coffees to try, the French press is a great leveller, simple but consistent & very effective, just about any coffee (recently roasted) should give good results.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hello all, new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225389003754)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+