Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
What is the best water flow rate for water drip coffee maker?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > What is the best...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
daio7

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 11:33pm
Subject: What is the best water flow rate for water drip coffee maker?

I am now doing a project to optimizing the energy use of coffee machine by inverstigating the mass flow rate. I have to run plenty of project to gather data of power

input vs mass flow rate of water to find out the optimization rate. These experiments I have done but now i face a problem. One of the objective of my project is to

obtain the approriate mass flow rate of water that can brew coffee with good flavor.

What is the mass flow rate of water that can make sure brewed coffee is in good flavor? Is there any article or study about these?
 View Profile Link to this post
RandomTask

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 9:32am
Subject: Re: What is the best water flow rate for water drip coffee maker?

Since no one else has attempted to answer this question, I will do my best. The more technical users on the forum may chime in with a better answer.

From everything I've read, there is no "mass flow rate" listed as optimum for coffee extraction. There is guidelines stated for contact time; how long the water is in contact with the grounds, not how quickly the water is pushed through them. Tempurature is as, if not more, imporant than contact time, as water should be between 92C - 96C through the enitre brewing process.

The SCAA guidelines for brewers state: "For a brewer at maximum coffee and water capacity, the minimum technical requirement is for the water contact time with the coffee grounds shall be more than 4 minutes but less than 8 minutes for all brewers operating under standard temperature and pressure at the manufacturers stated design voltage, depending on grind." with a quantity of grinds of ~55g/litre of water.

All the details of what the SCAA consideres a "certified" brewer can be found on their certified brewer program here.

Unfortunately, your optimum flow rate is going to be based off of the quanty of water held by the brewer so that it dispense all of the water within the 4 minute window.
 View Profile Link to this post
christopher197404

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 6:37pm
Subject: Re: What is the best water flow rate for water drip coffee maker?

daio7 Said:

I am now doing a project to optimizing the energy use of coffee machine by inverstigating the mass flow rate. I have to run plenty of project to gather data of power

input vs mass flow rate of water to find out the optimization rate. These experiments I have done but now i face a problem. One of the objective of my project is to

obtain the approriate mass flow rate of water that can brew coffee with good flavor.

What is the mass flow rate of water that can make sure brewed coffee is in good flavor? Is there any article or study about these?

Posted February 24, 2014 link

I could not give you a direct answer for what the mass flow rate is, but I advise you could use a normal coffee maker to calculate it out. For example, you could  add 1 liter water to a drip coffee maker and observe the full time it used. Of course, you need to do it more than once and try to use more than one coffee machine. Then The volume divided by the seconds, you will get the mass flow rate of water for the drip coffee maker
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > What is the best...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.40376496315)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+