Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Struggling With A Fabulous New Bag of Coffee From JBC Using Kalita Wave 185
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Struggling With...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JasonJYoung

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Drip: Bonavita BV1800, Pour-Overs:...
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 7:39am
Subject: Struggling With A Fabulous New Bag of Coffee From JBC Using Kalita Wave 185

I received the Gelgelu Adame Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Organic Natural Process that received a 96 point score recently for Johnson Brothers Coffee Roasters based in Madison Wisconsin. Always have great results with their beans in the past.

I'm getting the dreaded "Sour" taste that often comes from under-extraction or low water temps. I know my water temps are accurate from using an external thermometer in addition to the electric reading. I'd be shocked if the beans are the cause! Therefore, sounds like a grind issue.

I've tried a couple different grind settings on the Breville Smart Grinder in addition to utilizing the Kalita Wave 185 and the Bonavita drip machine.

I only use reverse osmosis filtered water in the 5 gallon water jugs. Clean filters. Clean grinder after every use. Airscape stored beans still in the bag.

I've tried both 30g & 40g amounts with the beans along with course settings. The Breville seems a little finicky trying to dial in the grinds for the past year. I can't seem to find any consistency. I've tried different water volumes as well. I use the Bonavita Electric Kettle and change up the temps between 195-205 when experimenting. Yes, I have pre-rinsed the filters and have also not pre-rinsed the filters.

There are so many different opinions on the proper Kalita Wave techniques, volumes, grind settings, etc. Olympia, Nic Cho, Kalita, PT's, and on and on and on.........

I'm searching for that sweet spot, but realize this will probably change from bean roaster to bean roaster (I think?).  

Any help or suggestions please. Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 12:50pm
Subject: Re: Struggling With A Fabulous New Bag of Coffee From JBC Using Kalita Wave 185

What brew ratio are you using & what is your pour regime?

If your coffee is underextracted, pour in smaller pulses?
JasonJYoung

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Drip: Bonavita BV1800, Pour-Overs:...
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 3:34pm
Subject: Re: Struggling With A Fabulous New Bag of Coffee From JBC Using Kalita Wave 185

Well I switched it up a few times, but here is my current ratio that seems to work best once I get a decent consistency with the grinder:

30 grams coffee
510 grams of 205 degree water

I have pre-wetted the paper filter before and have opted to pour over a dry paper filter as well. (prefer to wet)

I start by saturating the coffee grounds with around 45-50 grams of water. Not much is passing through besides a drip or two. I let it bloom for 30 seconds to degas a little.

I then pour gently starting in the center and pour outwards in a circular motion. **Here is where much debate is still going on**.........
How close to the edge of the paper filter should you pour? I have read, watched, and actually poured down the edges.  But, I now concentrate to avoid letting the water run down the sides of the paper filter, which concerns me because you end up with compacted grounds sitting in the folds of the filter when your finished.

I usually pour until the water rises approximately a 1/4 from the top of the filter. I proceed to pour every 30 seconds for a total target time of 3:30 or a scale reading of 510grams.  

Can anyone give their opinion on this Breville BCG800XL Smart Grinder I use? I have many comments on here and elsewhere that seems to indicate a good quality product. It's weird because my grinds are all over the place with this thing. I clean it out after every single use and actually blow air into it to rid all leftover powered/grounds.

Regardless of setting, it seems like I'm getting a powdery finish (espresso) with little coarseness to it. Or, I go to the other extreme and it comes out too coarse resulting in sour under-extraction.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Struggling With...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.196188926697)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+