Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Grinder for auto drip machine
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grinder for auto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
nicholasr

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 1:00pm
Subject: Grinder for auto drip machine

Throwing this out to the forums in hope for a bit of assistance in picking a new grinder.  I have very little experience in drip coffee, or what level grinder is suitable or necessary (without being overkill) for filter drip grinding *only*.   I already own a Mini Mazzer electronic for my Quick Mill Ventrano, so I don't ever expect to need to use this grinder for espresso.  I might occasionally use it for grinding french press for camping or something, but its a really secondary use, and it doesn't need to be ideal for that.

This is for occasional usage at a second home, that will also see other guests possibly using it.  It will be paired with a Bonavita BV1800.  I'm hoping for a < $200 grinder and it just seems like there is a lot of junk out there.  The Baratza grinders caught my eye, but the Encore seemed plasticy and slow, and the virtuoso perhaps a bit more than I want to spend.

Any other ideas in this realm of real world price point coffee grinders?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 1:20pm
Subject: Re: Grinder for auto drip machine

Welcome to the board.

Pretty much any electric grinder at $150 and up will do drip fine. The Encore, Maestro, Maestro plus, Solis 166 (Starbucks Barista) etc will do drip pretty well. Mostly, it is looks and feel  in the $150 to $250 range that will guide you to a decision.

Here too, like espresso, it is grinder first and better grinders do a better job. It is a different kind of grind from espresso but quality counts too. The drip market is much larger than the espresso market so there are more choices at "reasonable" cost to choose from.

The smaller home sized grinders will have more problems with static, noise and speed but they can do a good enough job. The other end of the scale is that you can go nuts here too, I have both a Bunn G9 and a LPG 2 as well as a N.S. MCD 65, all 3 grinders are north of $750 new though I did get great deals on them and did not pay near that much for them.

Good equipment shows up on Craigs list all the time and it is where I picked up the G9 along with a Curtis plumb in air pot brewer and 3 air pots for the large sum of $175.

The down side of this equipment though is the large size, they are NOT home counter friendly, well the LPG is but the G9 is down right HUGE next to anything else on the home countertop.

Bunn lpg 2
Click Here (www.webstaurantstore.com)

Bunn G9 2 hd
Click Here (www.webstaurantstore.com)

N.S. MCD 65
Click Here (www.foodservicewarehouse.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nicholasr

Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 2:48pm

Thanks for the response, and the welcome.

I'm thinking that a huge commercial bunn grinder may not pass by my home's executive branch and kitchen design team.

A question, which you (or someone else) may or may not know.  In terms of cleanliness, taking the Baratza's as an example of inexpensive conical burr grinders, would the machine that is twice as fast (Virtuoso) have more or less static than a slower machine with the same burr size (Encore)?
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 3:40pm

The auto drip grind is "medium," which -- for a lot of reasons -- is about as easy as it gets for a grinder to get appropriate particle size distribution and particle shape.  Nearly any burr grinder anything can do a good job.

Still, you might as well get something with a few features and which has a wider range than just drip, as well as some styling and a few features.

The Breville Smart fits the bill, is slightly less expensive than the Virtuoso, can be found even cheaper still with the ubiquitous BB&B discount, has a hopper which can be locked airtight for bean storage, is an accurate doser (using a timer), and does a good job through the entire brew grind range from medium fine to fairly coarse.  

We used ours for all of non-espresso grinding for three years and were very happy with it.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grinder for auto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.206932067871)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+