Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Grinder for pour over
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grinder for pour...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
IntrepidQ3

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Vario
Roaster: West Bend Air Crazy
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 10:48am
Subject: Grinder for pour over

Need some advice. I currently have a baratza Vario and getting tired of bouncing back and forth for espresso and pour over. I am thinking of getting another grinder for pour over only.

Looking for an electric grinder, thinking about the breville smart grinder. With out going into commercial price range. Are there any other grinders that provide a consistent grind that is not baratza?
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 11:38am
Subject: Re: Grinder for pour over

Pour over is mostly "medium," and tolerates a fair amount of variance in grind size distribution.  It's about the easiest task for a grinder.  

We used a Breville Smart for all our non-espresso brewing needs and found it very competent for pour-over, siphon, and even press.  It's extremely user-friendly, and has a great hopper.  

I know you don't want another Baratza, so by way of comparison only, the Smart is very close "in the cup," to the Baratza Virtuoso.  Although it's even slightly more plasticky than the Virtuoso, it's a few bucks less expensive.  And dude, I'm telling you that when it comes to non-Turkish/non-espresso, those two are damn near twins.  

The Smart is a little better in the cup for pour over or siphon than a grinder one next step down -- a Baratza Encore or Capresso Infinity, for example but only a little.  On the other hand, there's a helluva difference between a Smart and an Infinity or Baratza Encore when it comes to press.  

Still sticking with pour over, and by way of example only, there's a slightly more noticeable improvement when you go up from the Smart to a Vario or Forte B; but "slightly" means "slightly."  

You don't hit "in your face" differences in pour-over grinders until you go way down to the sub $50 bottom of the range, Mr. Coffee and Cuisinart are two to avoid; or all the way to the top, Bunnzilla for instance.  

However, if there's any chance at all you'll be grinding for press or using your grinder for cupping, the Smart is the most economical, non-Baratza choice.  If all you'll ever do is pour over, you won't lose much in the cup with $100/Infinity class grinders.        

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IntrepidQ3

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Vario
Roaster: West Bend Air Crazy
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 11:54am
Subject: Re: Grinder for pour over

boar_d_laze Said:

The Smart is a little better in the cup for pour over or siphon than a grinder one next step down -- a Baratza Encore or Capresso Infinity, for example but only a little.  On the other hand, there's a helluva difference between a Smart and an Infinity or Baratza Encore when it comes to press.  

Still sticking with pour over, and by way of example only, there's a slightly more noticeable improvement when you go up from the Smart to a Vario or Forte B; but "slightly" means "slightly."  

Rich

Posted April 26, 2014 link

Thanks for the quick reply. In the future I do see a siphon, but currently it is mostly pour over and rarely press when I am not pulling shots, so good to know I could have the flexibility there wit the smart.

I have thought about stretching the budget for a new espresso grinder.. Maybe super jolly.. Use the Vario for pour over haha. In the end though I would rather save some money as the Vario does provide a nice shot.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grinder for pour...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.224760055542)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+