Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Trouble in Trifecta Land
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Trouble in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
sosha
sosha
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: PV Export
Grinder: Compak K3, Vario
Drip: Trifecta MB
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 7:37pm
Subject: Trouble in Trifecta Land

I know, there's an uber-long post on this amazing machine, but I've only gotten about half way through, and thought I'd just ask my question.

Had it about 18 months, and love it.  That said, recently it started leaving about 2 oz in the water reservoir.  Yesterday, it took it to a new level.  With it filled for 12 oz, it pulled about 8 in, went through it's agitation process, and, as it pressed out, it backfilled the reservoir with another 2 oz.   Very strange.

Spoke with Bunn, and cleaned the check valves up top.  Tried it with just water, and it's still happening.  Now i have to wait for new check valves to be sent, not knowing if it's going to help the situation.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue?
 View Profile Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 4:12am
Subject: Re: Trouble in Trifecta Land

Sounds like your water reservoir filter is occluded. Pull it out and let the bottom portion (with all the little holes) sit in a cup of descaling liquid for a few minutes. Plunge it up and down every so often, forcing the descaling liquid through the holes. Rinse well under a forceful stream of water and re-insert it back into the reservoir. That should take care of the problem. Do that procedure every month or so, and you will never have that problem again. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
sosha
sosha

Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 6:45am

ah HA!  Another check valve!   How many are there on the machine?
mwright

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 11:08am

Not a check valve but really just a filter.  I had to do the same thing and it worked for me.  I actually just took the water reservoir out filled it with vinegar and let it sit for awhile and then like the other post said moved the filter up and down which helps flush the little holes out.
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 4:54pm
Subject: Grist for the Mill

redkiosk Said:

Sounds like your water reservoir filter is occluded. Pull it out and let the bottom portion (with all the little holes) sit in a cup of descaling liquid for a few minutes. Plunge it up and down every so often, forcing the descaling liquid through the holes. Rinse well under a forceful stream of water and re-insert it back into the reservoir. That should take care of the problem. Do that procedure every month or so, and you will never have that problem again. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

Posted May 14, 2014 link

Jim, I don't think that's entirely correct. The OP said the water was flowing backward during the press-out. That would seem to indicate that as air pressure builds, it is forcing the water in the boiler to back-up. I would expect the water entering backwards into the water reservoir to be hot. And I can think of one thing that more adequately explains both the poor water flow into the brew chamber and the leaking of air pressure back toward the boiler: excessive grounds clogging the water valve and filter in the showerhead. That would restrict the water flow while preventing a clean air seal.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 4:59pm
Subject: Gist of the Fill

Hmmm... let me be my own devil's advocate. If the water reservoir was indeed blocked and that was causing both anomalies, then if the pump was straining and somehow had caused a pressure drop in the line upstream, then ...

Nope, I got nothing. I cannot explain why such a blockage would cause water to flow backward.

I tried.

- Michael
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 5:06pm
Subject: Missed for the Meal (the coffee, get it? oh, never mind)

One last bit of validation. I had the water left-over in the reservoir problem as well, and cleaning the check valves and filter in the showerhead resolved the issue. As for water backing up... I did observe it once, but only when I had repeatedly overfilled the reservoir.

- Michael
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 5:21pm
Subject: Mist on the Grill

Hey, does the boiler build up extra steam pressure if too much air gets into it? If so, then I could understand how the pump, which I assume is downstream of the boiler, would be straining against a clogged water reservoir and end up pulling air into the boiler, then the sucker reheats and generates excessive steam pressure, which pushes the water in the intake line back out to the reservoir.

- Michael
sosha
sosha

Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 8:31pm
Subject: Re: Mist on the Grill

Well, I did clean the check valves at the shower head; they needed it!  I kept the red/black straight (red to the right of the screw), but thought I might have put them in upside down (getting a new leak from there).  So, as I tried to pry it out, it came apart.   Thankfully, Bunn is sending me new check valves.

Hey, can someone help me out and take a picture of the inside of the shower head cover?  I want to be sure everything goes back together properly.

All that aside, I've re-discovered the Espro out of necessity, and ordered a vacpot.   What the heck......

Thanks for all of the responses, gang!
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 8:48pm
Subject: Twist of the Drill

sosha Said:

Well, I did clean the check valves at the shower head; they needed it!  I kept the red/black straight (red to the right of the screw), but thought I might have put them in upside down (getting a new leak from there).  So, as I tried to pry it out, it came apart.

Posted May 15, 2014 link

Whoa! That exact scenario happened to me. I found out that I had reinserted my check valves upside down, which was why one of them pulled apart when I tried to get it back out.

If nobody beats me to it, I'll post a picture of the correct configuration.

- Michael
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Trouble in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.316895961761)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+