Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
technivorm mocca master cd
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > technivorm mocca...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
espressonewb1

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli Mdx
Drip: Technivorm Mocca Master
Posted Wed May 28, 2014, 9:09am
Subject: technivorm mocca master cd

I've recently gotten back into brewing drip occasionally and am having some issues with the spray arm on the technivorm. There is no uniform distribution of the coffee bed and one needs to stir in order to make this happen. The dispersion is from all of the holes in the spray arm initially and then it just jets out from the one nearest the end of the arm. I've descaled twice with dezcal but no improvement. Thinking of ordering a new spray arm but not sure it will do anything. There is some slight discoloration on the spray arm but no scale from what I can see. Looks more like rust but I think it's just the coating that wore off. I'll try to post a pic.

My water is borderline hard between 3 and 7 dkh.

If I don't stir I get an uneven extraction resulting in a bitter cup.

Just wondering what members are doing to try to fix this or if this is a common problem. A quick search here on CG seems to indicate that the spray arm does not distribute the water uniformly and it could be a common issue.

I know this is subjective but what is the brew ratio that is being used and grind setting? I've tried 25g per 1/2 liter. Brewing a 1/2 pot on the technivorm from what I remember doesn't taste the same as a full pot.

Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
espressonewb1

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli Mdx
Drip: Technivorm Mocca Master
Posted Wed May 28, 2014, 9:17am
Subject: Re: technivorm mocca master cd

Also wanted to add that I've found brewing drip and chemex a bit more challenging that espresso.  I can replicate the espresso taste if not better that what I get at a cafe in NYC by using the mini vivaldi and/or cremina but can't with the technivorm. Tried brewing intelli house blend and when I get it at the cafe in NYC I can taste the chocolate, caramel notes. They are using a bunn grinder and brewing on a Fetco brewer.

I think I need to check the temp on the technivorm and also perhaps invest in a better grinder for drip. Using a capresso infinity right now but also have an NS MDx that I could use exclusively for drip. Suggestions welcomed.
LiferJuice
LiferJuice
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity Stainless
Drip: Behmor, Technivorm
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 9:45am

I own the TV KBT-741.

1. I only use bottled water

2. I closed the water drain and let the grounds pre-soak for about a minute before releasing the coffee into the carafe

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 3:01pm

I don't think the water distribution arrangement on the Technivorms is that brilliant (I own 2 of them) although I'm not convinced it makes that much difference to the resulting brew.  

What seems to happen is that having dripped out of the holes it sorta "sticks"to the underside of the arm and runs along and then forms into single flow from the end of the arm.  It's too long since I did physics, but is this an example of surface tension ?  In another other good brewer like the Melitta (aka Bonavita in N.America) the holes are raised from the distribution arm, and this tends not to happen. Don't know if this is the design or the fact that the water distribution arm on the Melittas is plastic as against s/s on the Technivorms (or it may be chromed copper - never looked that closely).

A temporary solution, but you need to repeat it fairly often, is to rub the underneath of the water distribution arm with just the tiniest trace of cooking oil - this seems to stop it happening.

Worth a try.
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Jun 20, 2014, 10:26am

having own two of the TV, I can say mine soak the ground evenly and after it is done brewing, the grounds are evenly settled on the basket. I have never had a pad pour based no grounds soaking. Understand for brews LESS than 32 ounces, you must close the bottom of the basket to the smaller opening, anything over 32 ounces of brew should you keep it fully open. I use 2 tablespoons of whole beans for each 16 oz serving.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > technivorm mocca...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.202512025833)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+