Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Just got a Melitta 6 cup pour over.  Should I get a Kalita, Chemex or V60 next
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Just got a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ofb11

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jun 1, 2014, 9:04pm
Subject: Just got a Melitta 6 cup pour over.  Should I get a Kalita, Chemex or V60 next

Hi Guys,
 I am new to the forum.  I just started using my new and very in-expensive Melitta 6 cup pour over.  I will experiment more with grinds when the new conical grinder comes in tomorrow.  How does the Kalita Wave compare to my Melitta as they both have a basket based pour over system.  It seems like people generally like the Kalita better than the v60 or chemex.  I wanted to hear some input as I am debating on which other pour over system I should add to my coffee illness.  Also, should I bother adding another pour over option or will the Melitta be just as good as the other options.

Thanks,

Dave
 View Profile Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Jun 2, 2014, 11:05am
Subject: Should I get a Kalita, Chemex or V60 next

Hi. . Welcome to the forum.

Given the relatively low entry cost of pourover brewing,  I recommend trying the Chemex and Kalita Wave next.  Along with the Melitta, these three make up the biggest ddifferences between each other. I also have Hario V60 and Beehive and did not see a significant difference between them and the Melitta.  Of course there will always be someone here that will argue the differences  but if there are, they were far too subtle for me to notice.

Keep in mind that the core brewing variables--those being bean quality,  water quality, grind characteristics,  brew ratios and temperature--are the greatest influencers of the brew, and they trump all differences introduced by the drip brew device, by a very large margin.

What the brew device influences is largely in the paired filter medium. As to the funnel design, they play a far smaller role (if at all, at least in my experience). You can use the V60 filters in your Melitta. Just fold it as you would your Melitta filters. I found the filter medium influences mouth feel (ie. 'body') more than anything else.

Of course the all of the other funnels are just as inexpensive so if you want to decide for yourself how different they are by all means try. Nothing more accurate than trying things for yourself, I always say. ..:)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jun 2, 2014, 11:32am
Subject: Re: Should I get a Kalita, Chemex or V60 next

Really, just play with what you have until you max out the abilities. There is nothing wrong with Melitta, sure it is plastic but that just means that it won't break when it gets dropped.

Give yourself a minute to take a deep breath, learn to taste what you are drinking then ask yourself where you want to go next.

Fresh beans, freshly and properly ground puts you many miles in front of the bulk of the coffee drinking public even if it IS plastic!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Mon Jun 2, 2014, 11:41am

BTW, of the 6 PO funnels I have, I still use the cheap plastic Melitta funnel on a daily basis for the above reasons.
ofb11

Posted Mon Jun 2, 2014, 11:45am

Thanks for the input folks.  I am waiting on pins and needles for my Capresso 565 infinity grinder to come today via mail.  

Thanks,

Dave
Jaxx2112

Posted Wed Jun 4, 2014, 12:23am

A little late to the party, but of the three, i would say Kalita Wave or Chemex over the V-60.  While the V-60 has a higher barista skill-cap on it, i think the Kalita Wave is more consistent and forgiving, and yields a similar cup (more oils than a Chemex, but still relatively clean in the cup).  On the other hand, as you already have a Melita, the Chemex might be the bigger change taste-wise, as the filters really make for a nice and crisp cup.  Do you have any Cafe's nearby that you could compare the two brew methods?  As far as prep goes, both are the same, and will need a very steady hand (or better yet, a pouring kettle).  Filters on the Wave are a  little pricier than the Hario or the Chemex, so that's something to keep in mind.

After owning all three (Plastic V60-02, Ceramic Wave 185 & 6 Cup Chemex), i would say that i prefer the Wave the most, but some coffees definitely perform better in a Chemex.  From a functional art standpoint (if that matters at all), the Chemex is the clear winner, but just remember that it's fragile.

Are you planning on doing more than 1/2 cups at a time?  If so, the Chemex is the clear winner by a long shot.  With the V-60 or Wave you'll need a range server (which adds to the price of things).

-Jackson
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Just got a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.208914995193)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+