Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Water Filtration for my Local Tap Water
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Water Filtration...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Quickstrike

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jun 7, 2014, 8:59pm
Subject: Water Filtration for my Local Tap Water

The water hardness in my city [Calgary, AB, Canada], gets as high as:
240 mg/L CaCO 3
16.8 grains/gallon

& averages out @
209.66 mg/L CaCO 3
14.66 grains/gallon

I just got a killer deal on a new Bunn ICB-DV Coffee Maker. This unit is far overkill for my needs, but I love to tinker :).

Seeing how this machine is direct-plumbed and noting the hardness of my water above, what sort of water filtration would you recommend to keep scale at a minimum?

Would one of these single canister style filters work effectively?
Bunn Model
Everpure Model
They both come with a lime scale inhibitor.

I have a whole house [except kitchen tap] water softener, but I find the softened water tastes horrible.. so I always drink from the kitchen tap.

The Flojet + 5 gallon store bought jug isn't out of the question, but I do like the convenience of getting water direct plumbed from filtered tap.

I have 50 lbs of Citric Acid laying around, so I wonder if I could just get by using one of the above canisters & cycling a couple tablespoons of citric acid through the machine every week or so?

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks.
-Quickstrike
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Jun 8, 2014, 12:41pm
Subject: Re: Water Filtration for my Local Tap Water

I think the Everpure filter is the one that epressoparts.com carries. I considered that one recently, when I was planning for my coffee bar upgrade and machine plumb-in.  I decided on the Mavea filter that Chris' Coffee Service carries instead.  One of the main reasons is the filter head has an adjustable bypass setting.  You test the carbonate hardness of your source water, then set the bypass according to a table to bring the output into optimum range for your coffee. I really like that it's super easy to adjust to your own specific needs.  The cartridge comes in several sizes, so you can choose the size you want according to how often you'd be willing to replace the cartridge, or how much water you're going to run through it in a specified time.  They recommend changing it at least annually though.

I got the plumb-in kit recommended at CCS as well, it included a good amount of tubing and several fittings with John Guest connectors. I've been really happy with it so far.  It was very, very easy to install. The JG fittings are literally plug'n'play...I couldn't believe how easy it was to connect them. Basically, it required placing two wood screws through the bracket into the side of the cabinet under the sink, cutting the tubing to the desired lengths and then pushing all the connections together.  I think there were three fittings that I had to screw in.  One "splitter" from the line to feed the filter and the sink, then the to JG fittings that go into the filter head.  When I did my leak check, the only places that leaked were the screw in fittings, which I eliminated with a few more turns of the crescent wrench.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Water Filtration...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.186608076096)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+