Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
The best auto drip brewer?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > The best auto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
Author Messages
RayTCoffeeGuy
RayTCoffeeGuy
Posted Tue Jun 17, 2014, 12:14am
Subject: The best auto drip brewer?

So, I'm looking for a great auto drip brewer,

Usually the problems go with their heating plate that justs boils the coffee, Followed by a brewing temperature that is instable causing underextraction and over-extraction. With a filter that seeps and griefs coffee oils, Worse the water goes in a small steady stream that only causes uneven extraction.

So my only options are the Technivorm Moccamaster or a Hario V60

And of course the manual drip brewers would give you more control over the parameters.

Only true passion and expertise will make the best coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Jun 17, 2014, 6:42am
Subject: Re: The best auto drip brewer?

Personally, I'd opt for the Technivorm Moccamaster which has separate heating elements for brewing and the hotplate.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Jun 17, 2014, 6:54am

Behmor Brazen. (see my review HERE).
It is the only one as far as I know that has adjustable temperature, altitude adjustment, can be easily re-calibrated for electronic drift, and programmable pre-infusion among other advanced design features.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
joc3721

Espresso: Vertrano
Grinder: Vario, Breville
Vac Pot: Hario, Kalita
Drip: KMB, chemex & Technivorm
Roaster: gene cafe
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 9:10am

I'd say overall, Technivorm.  For consistency, quality and durability it's hard to beat.  Brazen can produce great results due to it's many features that allow adjustability.  But be careful, lots of us have had many, many problems with these (see the threads).  I've mothballed mine, just got tired of constantly replacing units with Behmor.  It's a great design, but was not ready for prime time when released.  Maybe it's different now.
LiferJuice
LiferJuice

Grinder: Capresso Infinity Stainless
Drip: Behmor, Technivorm
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 9:33am

joc3721 Said:

I'd say overall, Technivorm.  For consistency, quality and durability it's hard to beat.  Brazen can produce great results due to it's many features that allow adjustability.  But be careful, lots of us have had many, many problems with these (see the threads).  I've mothballed mine, just got tired of constantly replacing units with Behmor.  It's a great design, but was not ready for prime time when released.  Maybe it's different now.

Posted June 18, 2014 link

I own both the Technivorm (KBT-741) and the Behmor Brazen, the Brazen worked great but as quoted it developed some teething problems, with the TV less is more, its a straight coffee brewer, no bells or whistles and it brews a great cup every time.
Rocker66

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso / Vario
Vac Pot: Mocha Express/Aeropress
Drip: Bonavita/Pour over
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 10:05am

Why not a Bunn? I wouldn't necessarily consider it the "best". But, for the money and for making a whole pot of coffee, I would say they are hard to beat once you get it dialed in. I've noticed people complain about the balancing act of grind vs. strength. I have found the sweet spot on my NHB and A10 to be 8 cups. My coffee is far from weak. I measure it with a spectrometer and consistently get between 1.3-1.4% TDS. A little stronger than the SCAA nominal, but is where I like it. Also, the water temp is hard to beat. There are also mods you can make to slow down the water flow and what have you. Add a PID (I did) and you can even adjust the temp.  :)

I've never used a Technivorm and I'm always up for taking that next step to better coffee. But, for almost 3 times the cost, I will stick with my Bunn for pots and pourover for onesy twosies on the weekend. All IMHO of course.

BTW, I'm going to start a thread on here about Bunn temps here in the next day or so if anyone is interested. I noticed some people complaining about their coffee not getting hot enough, so it inspired me to run some temp analysis on my NHB and A10. Not the results I expected to see at all. But, I will leave it at that since this isn't my thread.

Dave

Dave
Rocker66

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso / Vario
Vac Pot: Mocha Express/Aeropress
Drip: Bonavita/Pour over
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 10:08am

Also, at least on the Bunn's I own, you have the option of leaving the hot plate off. No need to use it except maybe to preheat the pot for a few. I just pour mine up into a thermal carafe when it's done brewing.

Dave

Dave
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 10:18am

I have the Technivorm KBT741 and have never had an issue with it.  It consistently, day after day, quickly produces excellent coffee.  I use the Frieling 23 carat gold filter with mine because I am environmentally conscious.  

No, just kidding on that.  I use the gold filter as I feel it provides more body to the brew.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nennafir

Grinder: Bunn LPG-2E
Drip: Bunn Axiom DV TC
Roaster: RK Drums
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 1:58pm

If you are getting Technivorms recommended then you are already talking about several hundred dollars, so I will feel free to mention commercial Bunn machines.

In the past I had a Bunn CW TC
                 http://www.bunn.com/products/thermal/cw_tc.html
which worked great.  If you email them, they will send you a new head that restricts flow for free.  It worked great with the new head.  I only went searching for more because sometimes I like my coffee amazingly strong and it couldn't manage it.

I had thought about getting a commercial Trifecta (search my post history) but in the end I couldn't justify the cost of it.

I ended out settling for a Bunn Axiom DV TC
           http://www.bunn.com/products/thermal/axiom_dv_tc.html
which is really nice because it does everything I could want it to do.  You can set brew temperature digitally, and you can really make it brew things however you want it to.  You can set the time you want it to brew for, and have it automatically do its pulse brew adjustments.  However, you can also manually set it to pulse brew with every single little detail about how you want it to brew.  So I can make coffee that it as intense as I could like.

Best of luck whatever you choose!

Sidenote:  For medical reasons, I can only drink decaf.  So often the coffee can just come across as being too weak for me.  To adjust for that, I am picky and roast my own beans and also try to control extraction how I want it to be.  I think I am finally at a point where I am genuinely happy drinking decaf.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 8:28pm

Heres my pick. Always consistent brew temperature,cone filter and thermal carafe.
Bonavita BV1800 8-Cup Coffee Maker

Iluvdabean: Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 11.18.50 PM.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > The best auto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279489994049)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+