Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Is it worth buying a grinder if I will use the coffee the next morning?
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Is it worth...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
tmccumber

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 7:44am
Subject: Is it worth buying a grinder if I will use the coffee the next morning?

I am looking to buy myself a grinder for a late fathers day gift. The question I have is it going to be worth spending $200 ish if I am going to be using the coffee the next morning. I wake up very early and need to have coffee ready for when I wake up. So I will be grinding the coffee the night before and setting up my coffee pot on a timer. Is it worth the grinder if I am not using the coffee right away? Or should I keep buying ground as I have been.

Thank you
Tim McCumber
 View Profile Link to this post
wabbitt
wabbitt

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 8:22am
Subject: Re: Is it worth buying a grinder if I will use the coffee the next morning?

Hi and welcome!

While coffee does stale within about 15 minutes of grinding, not everybody can taste it.  Even if they do, many more would drink it anyway.  And for "the rest of the world" outside of coffeegeekdom, convenience trumps the taste of their first cup of the day.  I think you will definitely improve your cup by grinding fresh(er) and buying whole beans from a good roaster within a week of the roast date.  It's supposedly stale within 15 days of roast but it often needs a few days to degas or something to reach its full flavor potential.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 9:29am
Subject: Re: Is it worth buying a grinder if I will use the coffee the next morning?

I think it's very hard to answer your question.  As said already, some people can taste the difference and some cannot.  Certainly, grinding the beans the night before will lend them to be stale by the time the water hits them, but I suspect you would notice a big difference between that, and anything you bought pre-ground for you.

Is there some reason you can't change your routine slightly? It takes less than a minute to grind the beans and drop the grounds into a filter, then flip the switch on your machine. you don't go to bed all dressed for the morning right?  Can't you just stumble over to the coffee setup, get the thing going, and then go get ready?  How much time would that really set you back?  Sorry, man, but you're talking to CoffeeGeeks here...we take this seriously...and just about any of us would get up 5 minutes earlier in order to improve the quality of our coffee. :)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 9:34am

+1 to everything Julie (wabbitt) says. You didn't list your equipment in your profile, but I am assuming it is a standard Mr. Coffee type drip maker - if that's the case, you might look into a combination grinder/brewer which will grind the beans just before brewing them. This has its drawbacks, mostly that the grinder is a low quality blade grinder and will produce wildly inconsistent particle sizes. But the grind will be fresh.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
LiferJuice
LiferJuice

Grinder: Capresso Infinity Stainless
Drip: Behmor, Technivorm
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 9:38am

Personally I would just get up a little earlier, nothing beats freshly ground beans in the morning, it takes all of 1 minute to grind them and maybe 5 minutes to brew.
tmccumber

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 9:45am

I am with you about the extra time...and I think that a good portion of it has to do also with the coffee maker I am using and also my past experiences with the blade grinders.

1. Noise - I wake up at 5 and everyone else is sleeping for another couple hours so the blade grinders in the past have been loud enough to wake up the little ones. I know the burr grinders are quieter but it is still a concern.

2. Brew time - the coffee maker I have takes forever to brew. I have it set for 25 minutes before I wake up and it is just finishing as I am getting up. I currently have a Hamilton Beach 2-Way Brewer (49980Z). I like to have a cup while I am waking up/getting ready for work than I have another in the car. I do not love the coffee maker (cant stand it in fact) so I do plan on replacing that in the future.

I looked into the Breville You Brew with the burr grinder in it but saw a lot of negatives on it.

I really appreciate your feedback on this.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 10:31am

My neighbor has a Youbrew, no problems, he loves it. It is pretty big though, pics make it look smaller then it really is lol. Once dialed in, the coffee is pretty much as good as a Bonavita and Techno. I got him into coffee and he uses fresh beans too. It is kinda loud though. I'd still take a Bonavita and separate grinder but that's me.

A Encore is pretty cheap and fairly quiet for coarse compared to cheaper burr grinders, it's fast too so whatever sound will be gone soon.
wabbitt
wabbitt

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 8:38pm

If quiet is more important than convenience and you're okay with spending a little extra time with your coffee, have you considered a manual method?  I make my morning (melitta cone) drip coffee in 10 minutes, including hand grinding the coffee while the Hotshot heats the water.  If I choose to do moka pot (stovetop or electric), it's also 10 minutes but cleanup has to wait until I get home.  Both methods fill my 16oz tumbler, which is as much as you'd get out of YouBrew.  Aeropress makes coffee a little faster, but my timing's the same because there are more pieces to wash...still 10 minutes before I can run out the door.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 10:13pm

tmccumber Said:

Is it worth buying a grinder if I will use the coffee the next morning?

Posted June 18, 2014 link

For me, absolutely not.   No one can answer this for you except you.

Here's what you do.. Go out and buy a burr grinder.    use it and see if you can taste the difference.

If so keep it.. if not return it.  

Best to decide for yourself.
tmccumber

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014, 7:43am

I think I am leaning toward the separate grinder and I will buy a new coffee maker at another time. Summer is almost here and since I am a teacher I can go with the grind and brew and wait with my current Hamilton Beach. This summer I will buy something new that will brew a better cup faster than my HB.

For grinders is it worth spending the money on a Breville Smart Grinder (160 after discount)? Also would one of the Bunn line of makers be a good fast solution for a coffee maker? Seems like it especially looking at the prices.

Thanks again
Tim
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Is it worth...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272624969482)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+