Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn temperature comparisons
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn temperature...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Rocker66

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso / Vario
Vac Pot: Mocha Express/Aeropress
Drip: Bonavita/Pour over
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014, 2:26am
Subject: Bunn temperature comparisons

Good morning all. I've been doing some temperature analysis on the two Bunn's I have, A10-A (1980's) and the NHB. I've been using the NHB for a few years and have been fairly happy with it. It replaced the A10 as I liked the NHB aesthetics better and it allowed for easy pre-infusion. I like the Bunn for it's always on feature giving a fairly "consistent" water temperature. I quote consistent as you will see in a few and part of what led me to this whole analysis. I'm probably going to have to do this in a few posts just for time's sake.

I hate to admit it, but I'm one of those that's always looking for the next best thing. Knowing what I have is pretty good, I always feel there is another step higher. For instance, I have a Silvia espresso machine. Great machine, but I knew putting a PID on it would make it that much better. Plus it's cool. Everyone knows there are plenty of other variables besides water temp, but that eliminates one of the major variables and allowed me to focus on the dose and grind.

So, I was reading on this forum, as I often do just to learn, and ran across the review on the Brazen. I knew about it from before since I own a Behmor roaster, but had forgotten about it. It peaked my interest when I learned it was one of the SCAA certified brewers. So, I started looking and couldn't find one online anywhere. Then realized there are some quality issues with it. Bummer!

The infamous lightbulb came on and I thought "why not PID a Bunn?". Crazy? Maybe, but I haven't seen anyone do it. And, I have the A10 sitting on a shelf collecting dust. So, even if it is unnecessary, it would be cool, right? So, like any good engineer, lots of good data need to be taken before making design changes like that. I had to understand what I was really working with in order to make it better. That's the idea anyway.

. . .Time to hit the road. Like I said, this will have to be multiple posts. I apologize, but hopefully others can benefit from this, if nothing else but out of pure interest. I'm also always looking for advice from the more experienced around here. See you soon.

Dave

Dave
 View Profile Link to this post
Rocker66

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014, 8:56am
Subject: Re: Bunn temperature comparisons

Okay, I'm back. I will go ahead and post a couple of graphs and then come back and explain. I think most people can figure it out. But, I will explain my setup and hopefully get some feedback. I would really be curious if anyone else has done some extensive testing on their Bunn, especially a different model. I started off thinking a Bunn is a Bunn is a Bunn. Wrong! I also thought the A10 would be "better" than my NHB. Again, wrong.

So, here are the graphs. I've never posted any images or anything on here before, so let's hope this goes well.

Dave

Rocker66: Bunn-1.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Dave
Rocker66

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014, 8:57am

Guess I will have to do this twice. I could only attach one file at a time.

Dave

Rocker66: Bunn-2.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Dave
Rocker66

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014, 9:13am

So, those appear to pull up fine, at least for me.

Now for my test setup. To measure the temp, I placed a K-type thermocouple into one of the holes on the spray nozzle without completely blocking it, as to allow some fresh flow of hot water across the thermocouple end. This is being read by a digital multimeter which has been tested against a calibrated thermometer and is deadnuts. If I'm within a degree I'm happy. The filter holder was put back in place. A 8 cup pot of room temp water was poured in and measurements taken at random starting as soon as the temp started to rise. It pretty much jumped up in a few seconds as water flowed. I basically took the random measurements because I wasn't sure what to expect initially and just took a reading as the temp changed. Considering how it changes the most in the last half of the brew cycle, it made sense.

As far as the test conditions, I have two brewers; a 1980's model A10-A and a NHB. I wanted to see if there was any difference in water temp after they had basically sat all night keeping warm with the blanket heater and then right after a completed brew cycle, to simulate a second pot of coffee, which is rare for me. As I stated earlier, none of these results were anything like I predicted.

I will have to come back to this later. At least this gives you guys something to look at now. I hope it makes sense as to what I did. In short, the NHB seems to have more consistent temps during the brew cycle and higher if you let it stabilize with the blanket heater. Anyway, back to work.

Dave

Dave
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn temperature...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.210539102554)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+