Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
questions about espro press, aeropress and porlex grinder use and cleaning
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > questions about...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
flygrl

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 10:47pm
Subject: questions about espro press, aeropress and porlex grinder use and cleaning

Hi everyone!! I have been using a porlex grinder with my aeropress, which I use when I travel.   I just bought the espro press for home use, haven't received it yet, but I'm wondering if I will need to adjust the grind for it? I'm not even sure if I'm using the correct grind for the aeropress but I gave up trying to figure it out.  Does anyone know of a site that goes over different grinds and how to get them using the porlex?   It is so confusing with the stupid turn knob.  Also how to clean it and care for it.  The instructions given with it are useless.. Any help would be great.. Thank You all so much..
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jun 23, 2014, 6:19am
Subject: Re: questions about espro press, aeropress and porlex grinder use and cleaning

Hi Tina!
I work in Long Beach every day so we are very close! :D
Anyway, the Espro looks to be just another brand of "french press" and though I have not used that specific press, I do have a small French press. Grind a little more coarse than for drip as the water needs to steep longer than it dwells in a drip cone. That is the way I grind for the Aeropress.

Give it a try and adjust from there if you do not like the results or think they can be improved. My preference between the two is for the Aeropress, I do not like the grit that winds up in the bottom of a cup with the French press. There are many with the opposite view point though so there is no right or wrong answer, just personal preference.

You may want to look at Sweet Maria's page http://www.sweetmarias.com/grind.brew.php
They have a lot of brewing information and method specific information in addition to the product they sell (they are a good vendor too and are seriously worthy of consideration as are all the people who advertise here, just saying)

As I am sure you know by now, fresh beans and proper temp goes a long way to a great cup. Slight adjustments to the grind will affect the result and only by trying different settings can you find what works best ... FOR YOU! :D
Enjoy

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Mon Jun 23, 2014, 6:31am
Subject: Re: questions about espro press, aeropress and porlex grinder use and cleaning

flygrl Said:

I have been ...using a porlex grinder...   I just bought the espro press for home use, haven't received it yet, but I'm wondering if I will need to adjust the grind for it?

Posted June 22, 2014 link

I use my Espro(s) every week and enjoy them for a full bodied coffee with the oils and proteins but less sludge than a conventional press.

Grinding.  Let's keep it simple.  Assume your finest grind is a "1" and your coarsest grind is a "10."  Use a "5" for pourover or conventional auto coffee maker.  For your press/French pot, use a "7."  For an Espro, use a "6.5."  Pour a couple of ounces of 200* water, wait 20 seconds for a bloom.  Swirl.  Add remainder of water.  Swirl.  Cover.  Rest for 3:30 minutes and then slowly plunge.  Great coffee prep.

Play with that approach for a while and adjust to your tastes. Can't help you with aeropress -- too putzy for my use.

Enjoy, BoldJava

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
flygrl

Posted Sun Jun 29, 2014, 4:58pm

Thank you both for the replies.  I have decided to buy a grinder specifically to use with the espro press.  I have been putting off buying a grinder for way to long because they are so expensive.  

So now the question is what is grinder would work for the espro without costing too much.  My max budget is $200 and thats pushing it.  I will literally only be using it to grind enough beans for 1-3 cups a day.  I would like one that will last me and will allow me to use it later on for espresso when I get the money for a good machine.  But that will be awhile.  What suggestions would you have?  Thanks again :)
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Jun 29, 2014, 7:44pm

The Breville Smart is good as a French press grinder.  It's better still for the Espro press, since the Espro works with a slightly finer grind than ideal for Bodum presses, and the Breville is een more consistent at that grind.  

They're $200 everywhere, but you can get a 20% discount at most brick and mortar BB&Bs with the ubiquitous '20% Off" coupon. The other "best" motorized grinder in the price class is the Baratza Virtuoso, at around $220.  There's really nothing anywhere near the price that does as nearly as well, and certainly not anything which does any better.  

Because I know you're curious...  In terms of other Baratzas, the less expensive Encore isn't nearly as good for press as the Virtuoso, while the more expensive Preciso is no better.    

Rich
flygrl

Posted Sun Jun 29, 2014, 10:18pm

I found a virtuoso for $150 would that be better with the espro or the smart?  Those are the two I am torn between.  I'm a newbie when it comes to dosing and grinding my own coffee so I like that about the smart but I am a quick learner if the virtuoso is the better buy all around?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > questions about...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.260665893555)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+