Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
trouble with a commercial brewer Bunn
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > trouble with a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Kafee

Expertise: Beginner

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2003, 7:53pm
Subject: trouble with a commercial brewer Bunn

My church finally got rid of the percolators!
And purchased a commercial  Bunn drip machine, with airpots. We use Kirkland brand coffee (not my chioce). We use preground coffee both cans read fine grind. The regular coffee brews without a problem. We use one cup of grinds to 3 liters of coffee. When we use the decaf it overflows the brew basket, water and grinds go everywhere. My helpers are really upset. My pastor ( kind of know it allish) said use less grinds. Well this results in coffee that does not taste good, watered down.
Is decaf processed with something that makes it respond like this to the water. It does not happen with the regular. I even ground my own coffee and put it in the brew basket, it was not ground as fine as the decaf, and it ran fine. What do I do. I think we have ten cans of this decaf.
 I called Kirklad  they had no reason. Theycalled the coffee distributor they could not give an answer. I will speak directly to the distributer in the morning. Thanks from a coffee newbie, Kafee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
koffeekev
koffeekev
Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2003, 5:08pm
Subject: Re: trouble with a commercial brewer Bunn

Hi Kafee. This problem comes up from time to time so I am quite familiar with it. During the decaf process sometimes the coffee becomes mushy and clay like rather than dry and sand like. This is why the regular is okay and the decaf isn't. The water is having trouble passing through. You don't mention how much of an overflow you are experiencing so I will assume it is more of a hassle than anything.

Try using 2 paper filters. I don't know why this works but it does. Go ahead everybody, argue with me. It works.

I think the biggest clue here is the can reading "fine grind". It's too fine for the water to pass through. Next time get drip, regular or all method grind.

Once you finish up the Kirkland coffee you will probably find the problem has mysteriously disappeared.

Please report back. Kevin
Kafee

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2003, 7:38pm

thanks kevin. Let me get this straight. I need to add a second paper filter to the one I already have in place. this seems to make the water take longer to leave the brew basket, which i would think would make it overflow more. It does not overflow in the first minute or so. it seems like it will work alright so it has us fooled then all of a sudden it begins to throw-up ...
 the Grinds and  hot water go everywhere. It is connected to an automatic water source, so we can't even shut it off with distrubing the brew cycle.
  I will try on Sunday then  let you know how it goes. Will it happen with all decaf or does the brand have something to do with it? Kafee
koffeekev
koffeekev
Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2003, 4:09pm

Hi Kafee. I've been selling foodservice coffee for about 12 years now and every now and then this problem arises. I really don't know why the two filter system works but I learned it from a big doughnut shop I used to sell to. You would think that the water would slow down but it must draw the liquid away from the coffee and ultimately up the sides of the filters and out.

Instead of using one in the basket put one on top of the first one and dump your coffee in.

I really think the decaf you have is probably ground too fine so I wouldn't expect it to be a problem in the future if you look for drip grind. Kevin
Kafee

Posted Sun Mar 16, 2003, 6:56pm

Kev, i just wanted to update you I spoke to Bunn and the manufacturers of the coffee. Bunn said that the decaf coffee is really dry when it is ground so it grinds finer then the regular.  he offered me to buy a different spray head  that would have less holes in it and thus slow down the process.
 the coffee manufacturer said that the coffee could be ground  at the begining of the cycle so maybe it is finer and clogging the filter.
he is sending me two cans of coffee to experiment with.
 My theory is: that the grinds are different sizes, but so small that it is not that discernable, but the machine knows the difference. the fatter ginds sink to the bottom of the can( as it settles) and the lighter drier smaller grinds are at the top of the can. So you open a can with all those lighter drier smaller  grinds on the top and end up with an overflow problem for a bit then it clears up and  you can't seem to figure it out.
I think I need a cup of coffee. this is all to much for me. Andrea
SuperbCoffee

Expertise: Advanced

Espresso: none
Grinder: Zassenhaus Hand, Braun Mill,...
Vac Pot: Bodum French Press
Drip: Single Cup ONLY
Roaster: Caffe Rosto, Poppery II
Posted Mon Mar 24, 2003, 7:51pm

Kafee,
Problems with fine grind in a flat to smooth filter holder can sometimes be eliminated by putting a spacer under the bottom of the filter seperating it from the holder.
Serves essentially the same purpose as adding a second filter; breaks-up the meniscus molecular attraction - capillary action. You take a look at the inside bottom of the filter holder in a lot of auto-drip machines and notices grooves.
Have an animation showing this on one of my webPages
www.f11view.net/coffee/filter-holder.htm
Try a seperator spacer, it may help some.

Kafee Said:

Kev, i just wanted to update you I spoke to Bunn and the manufacturers of the coffee. Bunn said that the decaf coffee is really dry when it is ground so it grinds finer then the regular.  he offered me to buy a different spray head  that would have less holes in it and thus slow down the process.
 the coffee manufacturer said that the coffee could be ground  at the begining of the cycle so maybe it is finer and clogging the filter.
he is sending me two cans of coffee to experiment with.
 My theory is: that the grinds are different sizes, but so small that it is not that discernable, but the machine knows the difference. the fatter ginds sink to the bottom of the can( as it settles) and the lighter drier smaller grinds are at the top of the can. So you open a can with all those lighter drier smaller  grinds on the top and end up with an overflow problem for a bit then it clears up and  you can't seem to figure it out.
I think I need a cup of coffee. this is all to much for me. Andrea

Posted March 16, 2003 link

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > trouble with a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.261415958405)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+