Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Technivorm Moccamaster CD
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Technivorm...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Irunnoft

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Posted Thu Dec 2, 2004, 5:25pm
Subject: Technivorm Moccamaster CD

Hi all,
 This is my second official thread here at Coffeegeek!  Wow!  Two in one day!  I just wanted to see what the general consensus might be towards the Technivorm Moccamaster CD.  I know this machine doesn't come with the thermal carafe, but there is a reason why I chose this model over the thermal.  
  Backstory:  I had a Tim Hortons (BUNN) coffee maker for about 8 years and when it recently began leaking water all over the counter, I realized it was time to replace it.  I really have to admit never being too into the whole coffee scene until just recently.  I began to search things out on the web and started to make my list.  Originally, I thought about the Capresso with it's frothing ability and that seemed pretty neat until I realized that there were too many scattered reviews on it.  Some people loved it and some couldn't recommend it.  I didn't want to buy a dud.
 I thought about another BUNN because the one I'm replacing has been a tank for years.  I never thought it brewed a "WOW" cuppa, but it did do a fine job.  As I read on, I found people commenting on how quickly the water would pass through the grinds.  I also have not liked never knowing exactly how much water to add in order to brew, say, four cups of coffee.
  I finally settled on the Technivorm.  I was going to order the thermal model until I spoke to somebody at Boyd's Coffee.  She said that the thermal carafe wasn't that great on that coffee maker.  She said she herself (and several people there) opted for the Moccamaster CD model and then poured their brew into a high quality thermal caraffe.  She also mentioned the heat plate on the CD could be adjusted so as not to aggressively cook the coffee.  However, I placed an order for a Nissan Thermos thermal caraffe to go with the Moccamaster.  
  Just thought I'd check with the forum to see what people think about this maker.  I did, by the way, order the nine hole arm to replace the single hole arm for water delivery to the grounds.  I've also got a Mazzer Mini coming along with a La Spaziale S1, so I'll be able to grind my own beans.  Just curious, what is the appropriate dosage of coffee per cup with this machine?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this coffeemaker a little more friendly towards freshly ground coffee (ie. - it doesn't spill all over the counter during the brewing)?
Ok, I'll hang up and listen.

Thanks!
Jim
 View Profile Link to this post
RacerX

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex, French Press, Presto...
Posted Thu Dec 2, 2004, 9:39pm
Subject: Re: Technivorm Moccamaster CD

I have read that you can buy the thermal TV and replace the stock carafe with a Nissan Thermos TGS1500(1.5L carafe). I don't think it is a perfect fit though(too short?). I am about to get a TV, and the Moccamaster CD is probably the one I'm going to get. I really like the styling of the CD versus the thermal model. I would just make sure I set the warming plate on low, and transfer the coffee immediately into my Nissan carafe as you stated. I think we are going to be very happy with our 'Vorms! Neal
grillroaster
grillroaster

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Technivorm CD, Melitta...
Roaster: Alpenrost, HWP & Alpen-Grill
Posted Fri Dec 3, 2004, 5:02am

Irunnoft Said:

Hi all,
  I finally settled on the Technivorm.  I was going to order the thermal model until I spoke to somebody at Boyd's Coffee.  She said that the thermal carafe wasn't that great on that coffee maker.  She said she herself (and several people there) opted for the Moccamaster CD model and then poured their brew into a high quality thermal caraffe.  She also mentioned the heat plate on the CD could be adjusted so as not to aggressively cook the coffee.  However, I placed an order for a Nissan Thermos thermal caraffe to go with the Moccamaster.

Posted December 2, 2004 link

I've got that setup (Mocca CD with a Zojirushi thermal carafe) and it works great.  The Technivorm is a class product that yields great drip that is comparable to my Melitta manual pour-over method.  The heater plate 2-stage switch really isn't much of a marvel in the way of having an effect, especially if you plan to pour immediately into a thermal carafe when done.  I did some testing at home and only found a 2 degree temperature difference in the liquid (10 cup brew) between the low/high setting after 15 mins on the burner. see my review on Mocca CD

I just leave the burner setting on "low" during the brew cycle, but don't really think it matters which setting you pick. That's because brewing 10 cups on my machine only takes 5 1/2 mins and then the coffee goes into the thermal carafe.

Irunnoft Said:

Just thought I'd check with the forum to see what people think about this maker.  I did, by the way, order the nine hole arm to replace the single hole arm for water delivery to the grounds.  I've also got a Mazzer Mini coming along with a La Spaziale S1, so I'll be able to grind my own beans.  Just curious, what is the appropriate dosage of coffee per cup with this machine?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this coffeemaker a little more friendly towards freshly ground coffee (ie. - it doesn't spill all over the counter during the brewing)?

Whoa...you've got a seriously fine list of machines coming your way!  Great choices.  On the Mocca CD, I'd suggest trying both the 1-hole pipe (std) and the 9-hole pipe you've purchased.  I purchased the 9-hole pipe too, but don't find it superior to the 1-hole pipe that comes with the machine.  As to qty of coffee, that's such a personal taste thing you could get a lot of different answers.  I always fill the Mocca CD to the very top of the water reservoir (beyond the 10cup mark) and use 64grams of coffee.  That seems to be my sweet spot. Yes, the Technivorm does handle fresh coffee bloom without overspill.  I roast at home and have noticed that the bloom comes up and touches the underside of the filter cover and water pipe, but that's all.  I've not had any overflow outside the basket.  Bottom-line, you picked a great drip brewer and espresso/grinder combo.

Rick
Irunnoft

Posted Fri Dec 3, 2004, 7:39am

RacerX Said:

I would just make sure I set the warming plate on low, and transfer the coffee immediately into my Nissan carafe as you stated. I think we are going to be very happy with our 'Vorms! Neal

Neal,
 Thanks for the advise.  I will definitely set the warming plate to low and then transfer immediately.  I agree with you, I like the styling of this machine.  Cheryl at Boyd's assured me that the CD and the thermal model were identical in function and essential parts.  The major difference was the carafe and then the visual styling of the machine.  Since I seemed a better thermal carafe could be purchased for the machine than the one that came standard with the thermal model, I opted for the sleek looking CD and a highly rated Nissan thermal carafe.  I must say, my choices have really been helped along by this website and these forums!  I agree, I think we will be very happy with our 'Vorms :)
Irunnoft

Posted Fri Dec 3, 2004, 7:56am

grillroaster Said:

On the Mocca CD, I'd suggest trying both the 1-hole pipe (std) and the 9-hole pipe you've purchased.  I purchased the 9-hole pipe too, but don't find it superior to the 1-hole pipe that comes with the machine.  As to qty of coffee, that's such a personal taste thing you could get a lot of different answers.  I always fill the Mocca CD to the very top of the water reservoir (beyond the 10cup mark) and use 64grams of coffee.  That seems to be my sweet spot. Yes, the Technivorm does handle fresh coffee bloom without overspill.  I roast at home and have noticed that the bloom comes up and touches the underside of the filter cover and water pipe, but that's all.  I've not had any overflow outside the basket.  Bottom-line, you picked a great drip brewer and espresso/grinder combo.

Rick

Posted December 3, 2004 link

Rick,
 Thanks for your advice!  I appreciate your feedback and your post about the Technivorm was one of the reviews I read that helped me to decide on this brewer!  Thanks for that.  Just out of curiosity, about how many grams of coffee are in a rounded Tablespoon?  Or, if you don't mind, what do you use to measure out a dose of coffee?   I'll try to one hole pipe first and see how that works.
grillroaster
grillroaster

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Drip: Technivorm CD, Melitta...
Roaster: Alpenrost, HWP & Alpen-Grill
Posted Fri Dec 3, 2004, 2:42pm

Irunnoft Said:

Just out of curiosity, about how many grams of coffee are in a rounded Tablespoon?  Or, if you don't mind, what do you use to measure out a dose of coffee?

I measure my coffee for both drip and espresso with a small digital scale that moves in .1gm increments.  For me, that's the best way to consistency that I've found.  Here's a table that breaks it all out quite nicely from the BlackBearCoffee website: Brew ratios

I use the "Standard Brewing Ratio" chart and you can see that's where I get the 48oz water and 64gms coffee ratio that I use with my TechV CD.  This chart has been quite handy to me and I've used several of the various water/coffee ratios from it.

Rick
AdventureLarry
AdventureLarry

Espresso: Estro Vapore
Grinder: Ditting KFA903
Drip: Technivorm, Bunn, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Caffe Rosto
Posted Fri Dec 3, 2004, 5:01pm

grillroaster Said:

I measure my coffee for both drip and espresso with a small digital scale that moves in .1gm increments.  For me, that's the best way to consistency that I've found.  Here's a table that breaks it all out quite nicely from the BlackBearCoffee website: Brew ratios

Rick

Are you from NH? Black Bear Coffee is not far from where I live, and not many people I know outside of the area know about it.

--Larry
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Irunnoft

Posted Fri Dec 3, 2004, 5:39pm

Rick,
 Thanks for the website tip for BlackBear!  That is going to prove out to be VERY handy.  I'm in a bit of a delima. . . I just got a delivery from Intelligentsia.  I have four bags of absolutely incredible smelling Black Cat and no machine and no grinder yet.  The machine and grinder will both arrive on Wednesday.  This coffee smells absolutely incredible.  To think I thought Maxwell House smelled good when I opened up a can!  I don't mean to impune another product nor seem haughty, but I must admit that I am quite excited at the prospect of drinking coffee that I believe will be far and above the standard I have been used to for several years now.  I picked up a pound of the Holiday Roast from Intelligentsia as well for the Technivorm.  Boyd's sent me a bag of Rip City with the machine, also.  The TV will be here on Monday, so at least I can have a cup of Rip City and see what that's like before the espresso machine and grinder arrives.  Again, many thanks.
RacerX

Espresso: *$ Barista
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex, French Press, Presto...
Posted Fri Dec 3, 2004, 11:22pm

Irunnoft Said:

I just got a delivery from Intelligentsia.  I have four bags of absolutely incredible smelling Black Cat and no machine and no grinder yet.

I don't mean to brag, but I have my choice of two Intelligentisia locations a short drive away;) I love my new ritual of driving down to one of their storefronts, picking up some Cup Of Excellence or other beans that have been roasted within a couple of days, and leaving with a free cup of their coffee. I have to admit that the first time I took them up on the free cup of coffee, I stopped dead in my tracks as I took the first sip; it was delicious! I have turned down free cups of Peets coffee before, but never Intelligentsia.
ChrisatCafeGreenBean
ChrisatCafeGreenBean

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Super Jolly
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Technivorm & Bunn Commercial
Roaster: SC/CO, BBQ Drum, Popper
Posted Sat Dec 4, 2004, 12:01am

Irunnoft Said:

Hi all,
  I finally settled on the Technivorm.  I was going to order the thermal model until I spoke to somebody at Boyd's Coffee.  She said that the thermal carafe wasn't that great on that coffee maker.

Yes, the thermal carafe that comes with the KBT741 sucks.  Heat retention poor, and when you pour it leaks all over the place.

Coffee Link Central - www.coffeelinkcentral.com
Cafe Green Bean - www.cafegreenbean.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Technivorm...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.413154125214)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+